Wow, Nice Rack!

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I know that someone was building both 5 bar and standard diamond deck hard tops for the pinz. David wheeler @ Big Bear Automotive has purchased and sold more of those than anyone else Ive met. give him a ring. They're not to hard to fab up. I could crank one out for 4 bills or so.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
stevo

hardtop for Pinz

Post by stevo »

Andre, do you have an e-mail address for this Dave Wheeler fellow? I would really like to turn my rag-top into a hard-top...permanently! Thanks for the help.
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

What about the tops at:

http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/

Click "Parts" at the top then "Pinzgauer" on the sidebar and then scroll down. They've got five bar entire tops as well as just cab tops. They're quite pricey, but they show them.

--Donnie
ka

any hard tops out there?

Post by ka »

i think as far as i remember, cw's tops are .125 thick - way too much matl. i built a larger top from .06 6061 with only 3 thin braces along the sides, 2 on the front and 4 on the top that was completely bomber. i'm interested in finding a top built with .06 6061-t6 since i dont have time to build it myself. i can definitely design it, tho, with consideration for low cg. i fear high cg.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I dont have his e mail address. but if you 411 big beat automotive repair in big bear lake Ca. and ask for dave. they will get you through to him
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Last time i checked cold war wasn't selling poop nor was he answering the phone.
djb_rh

Post by djb_rh »

Erik712m wrote:Last time i checked cold war wasn't selling poop nor was he answering the phone.
I was wondering about that. Never see them mentioned here on the forum even though the list of items they have seems extensive. Dang. We need all the vendor help we can get! :)

--Donnie
cwblevins

Tire and Jerry Can Carrier

Post by cwblevins »

I had the fabricator use the bumperetts as the part of the carrier support structure. It is powder coated matt black. You can see larger versions of the pictures at http://westlawn.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=4462

ImageImage
ImageImage
Just because you can do something does not mean you should.

Life is tough! It is even tougher when you are stupid.
John Wayne
Middlebury_Pinz
United States of America

Post by Middlebury_Pinz »

CWblevins,

Your tire/ fuel can carrier looks great, just like the factory had made it. Well done!! I love it when someone takes the time to put some thought into a great idea and then execute it well. It's always cool to see how someone else sees the same problem/ opportunity and takes a different path with it.

Very very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WolfgangK

Post by WolfgangK »

@ ka: maybe you wanna have a look at my roof solution. The front is made of steel, the rear of aluminium with a steel frame:

Front part: http://pinzforum.kiruna.de/viewtopic.php?t=1981

Rear part: http://pinzforum.kiruna.de/viewtopic.php?t=2098

Interior: http://pinzforum.kiruna.de/viewtopic.php?t=2583

Wolfgang
Middlebury_Pinz
United States of America

Post by Middlebury_Pinz »

Wolfgangk,

Beautiful work and great ideas. The Pinz community must attract some really creative and talented people. The interior reminds me of Dr. Who's Tardis, look's pretty small on the outside but step inside and welcome to the fourth dimension!!!

By the way, great looking 996 in the garage!! You have great taste too!

Mike
ka

Post by ka »

WolfgangK - yes! nice job. i do want to stick with aluminum, tho. i found .060 thick 6062-t6 with an occasional rib here and there to be quite the answer. very easy to build with cres machine screws and 600 deg epoxy. the 600 deg epoxy allows the powder coat.

do you have any drawings or models you'd be willing to share?
Last edited by ka on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
WolfgangK

Post by WolfgangK »

Thanks for the flowers ... live's too short for boring cars :lol:

In between my Pinz looks a bit different, it's painted flat black and features a roof rack.

The structure of my roof allows to bolt on some rails which I use to hold the aluminium roofrack.

It's made out of standard profiles and can be used for my Land Cruiser also. We've been in Libya (with the Toyo) and crossed the Sahara last November with 300kg of Diesel on the roof (scary driving in the dunes). But it's solid enough and can now be used on both cars.

Wolfgang

@ka: sorry, I have no drawings, it was all measured and cut at the car. It's made of 2mm steel, the curvature gives it the necessary stability without making it too heavy. Another benefit is that it can be easily welded.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

WolfgangK , I am envious of your interior.
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Post by ABSOLUTSECURITY »

Erik712m wrote:WolfgangK , I am envious of your interior.

Understatment :o !

I am GREEN GREEENNNNN!! :shock:

I love your interior Wolfgang!! :!:

You have given me some great Ideas! :idea: :idea:

Thank you for sharing that with us.
:D
Glynn