Cylinder Removal Question

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

hrafn

Cylinder Removal Question

Post by hrafn »

Does anybody how to remove the spring loaded clips between the cylinders? Are they really necessary?
I don't see any reference to this in either my parts manual or the service manual.

Jay
W3PNZ
710K Kommandowagen
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

There is a small clip on the other end of the part, you remove the clip and pull the bolt straight up. They hold the small tin piece up against the bottom of the cylinders for propper cooling.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

The clips are holding the lower tin on. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to open the clips. If you don't install them, the lower tin will rattle and prevent proper air flow past the cylinders.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

The way I do it is to: With one hand push down on the of the top of the pin while using the other hand to push up on the clip and slide it sideways. I reinstall the opposite way. Occasionally you will have to lift the tab on the clip over the end of the rod to remove it.

When you get a clip off look at it and you will see a big hole next to a narrower slot. Above the slot is a tab. The big hole is the dimeter of the rod. the slot is the width of the groove in the pin. Your picture appears different than most I have seen. Most clips are a square arrangement.

Good luck
hrafn

Post by hrafn »

Thanks for the great answers :D

Another question... In reassembling the engine I am having difficulty in
replacing the spring clip that holds the piston pin in place. Any tips or tricks
to ease this seemingly simple task?
Jay
W3PNZ
710K Kommandowagen
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Depending on which style of retaining clip you hve you do the following. For the clip that looks like the original (makes almost a full revolution) Start the clip 90 degrees to the 2 grooves in the piston walk the ring in with a finger and if you need to use a screw driver in the slot or use the old pin to drive the clip to a click that means it is seated.
For the other style clip that makes almost 2 revolutions (new style), start like the other clip and gently walk around first revolution of the clip with a screw driver walking the clip into the hole and then continue around the 2nd revolution like you did on the first. Both installs are a reverse of the removal, just the new style retaining clip takes 2 revolutions around. The next removal is simply hook the end (notice how it is ground a little to grab it) and unwind 2 turns.

Hope that helps