windshield fluid pump

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Protoman333

windshield fluid pump

Post by Protoman333 »

sorry in advance for the double post, this same question is on the yahoo groups forum...

does anyone know where i can get a replacement windshield washer fluid hand pump that isnt $150?

is there an equillivent to it out there somehwere?

the few hairs that were left on my head after seeing willys website price just turned gray...

maybe there is another vehicle thats used these pumps or something similar?
Chris
'73 710m
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

I don't think you will find an equilivant. Unimogs used a foot pump. you can look at a 24v bus pump. Dennis at Linden got some in once and they weren't cheap. The 12v universal is inexpensive, but you need to have 12 volt supply. A convertor, battery equalizer. Or dare I suggest if this is all you will ever run on the 12 volts, center tap the battery. The reason I suggest this is the 1 or 2 uses occasionally will run the battery down very little compared to the other. I used to run a cb center tapped this way. The little bit it was used on the trail compared to getting there and back did not detrimentally harm the battery. It was when other 12 things began appearing with a constant drain tha I needed to add the convertor.

That should spark a dialog.
Protoman333

Post by Protoman333 »

wellll, i figured as much. i cant justify spending the money on an electric conversion right now.

i wonder if a haffy one would work? anyone out there ever compare the two? i hadnt seen it until just now, but sav has one for $16 vs $160...im sure they are different sizes...

http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... o=SAV8421''
Chris
'73 710m
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Chris,

This one is about $14.00 http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... asher+pump

Once you know the current draw @ 12 V, you can probably find a $1.00 power resistor at Radio Shack to drop the 24V enough to run the pump without problems.

Or, like John said, you could run it from the middle connection on the batteries. You would use it so little it would be very unlikely to cause any trouble.

-Evan
Denis

Post by Denis »

I have these in my two Pinz and I like them very much and they fit where the originals ones were. Only need 12 volts supply and the pump is standard type easy to buy from Nappa if need be.

http://www.vwparts.net/mm5/merchant.mvc ... ange_high=

Denis :D
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

wow that vw part looks like a great idea.
710M 1972
710k 1974
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Thanks for the link to the vee dub site. Looks good so I ordered one.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Denis

Post by Denis »

You're welcome and I'm sure you are going to like it. 8)

Denis
Protoman333

Post by Protoman333 »

thanks to alll for the replies. lots of good advice/ideas!

im taking apart the pump today, gonna see if i can spot whats wrong with it...then ill go from there.

thanks again to the board!
Chris
'73 710m
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I use Rain-ex. Took the wipers off and the washer bottle out 2 years ago, and have never missed either. Of course we only get 2 inches of rain a year, and I take a different vehicle when it might rain. Not everyone can do that.
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Mine just gave up too. Anyone know the measurements on the Haffy one? Not sure I want to go through the hassle of wiring a pump and switch. But I'm sure not going to pay $150.00 for the original one. :roll:
1973 712M
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Yhe Haflinger uses the same washer pump as the Pinz :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Nice. For $15.71 I'll try the haffy one. Of course it lacks the pretty chrome ring. :roll:

1973 712M
todds112

Post by todds112 »

For the record the Haffy pump from SAV does not fit the Pinz as is. I removed the chrome ring the original pump goes in. The ring is two parts: an inner and outer ring that screw together. I was able to bore out the hole in the side of the dash larger to make the Haffy pump snap right in. Looks really nice.

But, it still doesn't work. The original valve has a built in check valve to keep the fluid from moving backwards. The Haffy one apparently doesn't. I found plastic check valves at McMaster-Carr for $3.50, so I ordered a couple and will see if that works. If it does I'm still into it for less than $20.00.

I'll post up pics and the final outcome soon.
1973 712M