Pinz towing

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Erik712m wrote: Next you will be telling us Russ got your pinz stuck and you didn't. :lol: :lol:
Yep, guilt by association. He'll say K's drive different. :-)

I've never seen a pinz that high centered before! Like it was plopped on a dock with the wheels over the edge sitting on the frame.

By the way, another EFI conversion running today. Herbert & Jason doing the hard work. Mine is up at their place. Jason working the final production wiring harness, per Herbert turning out very nice.

You having fun with yours? Have not heard much recently.

Here's a shot with the towbar bracket before we got dirty:

The center of the mount has a tab that is a very snug fit with the tow ring pin. As the bolts to the body mounts are snugged up the pin & tab snug up as well. Rattle free. Pull two hitch pins are you drop the V-bar. Very slick & super strong design.

Alan
ka

Post by ka »

gr8 data, alan!

would it be possible to get the full res version of that pic? i'm not sure what i'm seeing. do you have a design drawing or model? i definitely need to make one of these.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I bet Herbert will sell you one. :D
Alan, EFI is running good. I was cusing Herbert last week tho. Ended up being a five minute repair. At the time I was pretty pist.
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Erik712m wrote:I bet Herbert will sell you one. :D
Actually, that may be true. I can't remember if he has one left. I bought mine from him.
Alan, EFI is running good. I was cusing Herbert last week tho. Ended up being a five minute repair. At the time I was pretty pist.
What happened? Stuff happens, so be patient. We've spent quite a bit of time in "shake-down". You really need to think about wiring issues with vibration, etc. Armor that wiring harness! :-) I've rerouted a few things over time, and even this week Herbert called and wanted to know why I disconnected my TPS. I had not, it must have come loose sometime in FL.

Have fun,

Alan
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Alan, PM sent really turned out to be a small problem.
russ

Post by russ »

In Florida, if the weight of the towed vehicle exceeds 3000 lbs then a brake system is required as well as a break away device.

This was the law in Florida when i checked last. The laws vary by state and of course change at the whim of our political representatives.

Enforcement, who knows. I do think a properly operating Pinz will flat tow quite well, i.e. straight. As I mentioned earlier, all wheels need to be on the ground if you do flat tow, two wheel tow dollies are bad.

p.s.
I did feel a little guilty when I stuck Alan's Pinz. When I saw the headlights of my truck come round the corner to help I felt better. When I saw how deep it was buried I started to feel a little proud of myself, :twisted: especially after how hard we had to snatch the strap to get it to move! I live by my sig, sometimes I force others to live it with me.
If you didn't get stuck, you didn't try hard enough.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

russ wrote:In Florida, if the weight of the towed vehicle exceeds 3000 lbs then a brake system is required as well as a break away device.

This was the law in Florida when i checked last. The laws vary by state and of course change at the whim of our political representatives.

Enforcement, who knows. I do think a properly operating Pinz will flat tow quite well, i.e. straight. As I mentioned earlier, all wheels need to be on the ground if you do flat tow, two wheel tow dollies are bad.

p.s.
I did feel a little guilty when I stuck Alan's Pinz. When I saw the headlights of my truck come round the corner to help I felt better. When I saw how deep it was buried I started to feel a little proud of myself, :twisted: especially after how hard we had to snatch the strap to get it to move! I live by my sig, sometimes I force others to live it with me.
Can't flat tow in kansas if it weighs more than 1,200 pounds. Speed limit 65 mph.

http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html

Russ, It was pretty cool pulling up to see just the top of the tires and they were spinning.
Leave it to the hill people to brake the law. :lol:
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

russ wrote:In Florida, if the weight of the towed vehicle exceeds 3000 lbs then a brake system is required as well as a break away device.
Common mis-perception. That rule (and most states restrictions) applies to trailers, and vehicles on dollies. It does not apply to towed vehicles using "a-frame" style in what is referred to as "drive-away/tow-away" mode.

FL is pretty specific with an actual performance test you have to meet for flat-towed vehicles:

http://law.onecle.com/florida/motor-veh ... 6.261.html
See exception 3, item C

Performance specifications:
http://law.onecle.com/florida/motor-veh ... 6.262.html

Very few states properly specify flat-towing, and per the RV forums virtually none other than BC are enforcing them.

BC allows up to 2000kg (4400 lbs) as long as the towed vehicle weight is less than 40% of the GVW. And that's a pretty good guideline. The pinz fits (barely) at 4300 lbs and is less than 40% of my Dodge Ram Cummins GVWR.

Flat towing has entirely different dynamics.... the towed vehicle really wants to continue straight and has virtually no tendency to jack-knife. Trailers want to jack-knife and the brakes are there primarily to prevent/reduce that effect. (And of course help stop faster)

You are right about one thing, the rules are not clear, well understood, and I'd probably be cautious about flat-towing through NJ. Or even taking a pinz into NJ. :-)
I agree, tow dollies to me have all the bad traits of trailers and none of the advantages.

The real risk with flat towing is tow bar angle. Never angle upwards, that can lift the rear of a light tow vehicle and cause major problems. Too far down and the vehicle can "ride up" in a collision. But in a collision, a vehicle on a trailer is a huge risk as well.

I'd sure not flat tow a pinz with a small SUV. Pinz towing pinz is self limiting, speed wise. :-)
p.s.
I did feel a little guilty when I stuck Alan's Pinz. When I saw the headlights of my truck come round the corner to help I felt better. When I saw how deep it was buried I started to feel a little proud of myself, :twisted: especially after how hard we had to snatch the strap to get it to move!
It was a good stick, no need to feel guilty. Not much you can do when you straddle duece rut's and your tires no longer touch! I think inertia mgt and all 4 locked would have been the only way to avoid it. I'm just glad we did not have to wade & walk, I was relieved to see your truck as well!

That was a very fun trip, and I have to say that having you familiar with the area and capabilities was a huge help. I'd have been far more cautious in the swamp water if you had not told me where it was safe. Seeing a 404 sized mog-hole was sobering! I almost dropped into it when I ran up on the bank in the swamp.

I still don't have all the mud off of mine, and herbert tells me I have plants sprouting now. :-)

Have fun!

Alan
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Erik712m wrote: Can't flat tow in kansas if it weighs more than 1,200 pounds. Speed limit 65 mph.

http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html
Hmm, they have FL wrong for sure. GA wrong. Looks like they are just quoting trailer specs.
Leave it to the hill people to brake the law. :lol:
I *know* my pinz/ram combination is legal in FL per state law. Also per federal DOT law:

http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title49/49 ... .12.2.html

In their terminology, saddle is having the front wheels on another vehicle. "Full mount" is carrying a vehicle in the bed or frame like you would on a trailer. Not applicable.

The DOT tow bar restriction for flat tow is vehicles 5000lbs or less, really no other restrictions unless the towed vehicle is also carrying another vehicle "full mount".

I know it hurts flatlander (read Kansas) heads to read the legal stuff. Big words, and all that :-) But it's way more accurate than the company's site trying to sell you brake systems.

All that said, if you are not sure, don't do it. And I have no doubt that some local yokel might try to ticket. Just has not happened to me or the folks I know have flat towed all over the US & Canada.

I've towed both methods quite a bit, and from a safety perspective feel there is no comparison in stability & stopping when flat towed behind my Ram even with a car hauler with good electric brakes.

well, we beat this to death, what else is up? :-)

Have fun,

Alan
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Hill folk, What were your key words for your google search? I googled flat tow laws and the company selling the braking system really was the only one to give any info. Thanks

Flatlander :lol:
ka

Post by ka »

to beat this just a little more, i cant quite see the design of that towbar, alan. i full res photo of it would probably do it for me. help?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Pinz Enthusiast

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

I think reguardless of weather or not it's legeal to flat to with out a break system, logic should tell you that you don't want any vehicle your towing to break away and not be able to stop it, I for one know that my land rover that I flat tow has a evenbrake brake system installed, (not cheap over $1100.00) it is hard wired into the vehicles brake switch and light wiring as well as having the "box" that sits on drivers floor and attaches to the brake pedal, in the motorhome is a wireless receiver/transmitter that comunicates with the towed vehicle and brakes it proportionally to the motorhome, in the even of a brake away it will bring the towed vehicle to a complete stop and not pass me on the hughway.

Also during my RV sales days, more and more states were requiring towed vehicles flat or other wise to have an onboard brake system, not that all have done it yet but it is and should be comming, looking in some of my tow guide books (2009) some states require brakes on all towed vehicles starting aroud 1000lb unladen weight, again I know it's not the law in all states but it should be.
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
Pinz Enthusiast

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

M Wherman,

I saw this in Quartzite over the weekend and though what a great paint scheme for my motorhome and remembered you suggested paint as it clashes with the pinz, when I got home and showed the pics and asked if we could paint our like the she said "NO not even dont even think about it" but did think it looked cool at that motorhome..... :D

Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
JanPinz

towing

Post by JanPinz »

Hallo there. First message from a newby...
I have not read everything yet so maybe this is out off place
I tow my pinz on a triangle, so with all 4 down, for years now.
Allways put all gearboxes in neutral, no problems sofar!
In Holland this goes as towed vehicle, so this is the same as when you tow by rope
For safety, i use a electr. cord, with two male's. One in the towing car, and the other end in the pinzis ass....
And i allways switch off the main battery-switch.