Lube Oil Change out

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

ms1223

Lube Oil Change out

Post by ms1223 »

I want to do a complete lube change out. I have the Redline GL-4 for the transmission (gearbox).
I'm looking for the lube and the hand pump. I want to change the fluid to something that's readily available in the Midwest. (NAPA Farm & fleet)
Thanks in advance
Swifty 72 710M
Kirby

Reminder

Post by Kirby »

Just remember to take out the Fill plug before the drain plug! :) (just in case the fill plug is not in the mood! :? ) sorry but I am not much help for the midwest area!
Pinzing is AWESOME.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I used Redline in my transmission and recommend it to anyone who wants to do the same. Good stuff, but it will leak out the rear seal if it is worn. The seal is easy to replace and available from Pinz dealers.
Get a hand pump from NAPA that screws into a gallon jug, they are about $10 and work well. I used clear tubing available at any hardware store to attach to the pump so I could reach the fill holes. You may also want to have replacement washers on hand when you do this, NAPA has them. Get a GOOD 10mm allen for the job, I got mine at Sears.
krick3tt

oil changeout

Post by krick3tt »

Yeah the man is right, top plug first.
I snapped that 10mm socket allen right off, the one from Sears, but they took it back and replaced it. It helps to tap the plug (lightly) a bit first to sort of loosen it up.
I ended using a big allen that was left over from my VW days till I could get back to Sears.
pinztrek
Barbados

Re: Lube Oil Change out

Post by pinztrek »

ms1223 wrote:I want to do a complete lube change out. I have the Redline GL-4 for the transmission (gearbox).
I'm looking for the lube and the hand pump. I want to change the fluid to something that's readily available in the Midwest. (NAPA Farm & fleet)
Thanks in advance
For tranny you can pour fill with the access plate. Redline MTL is not much more than the generic GL-4 and is far better.

For diffs, xfer case, and hubs get a 5g pail pump from Harbor Freight and a 5G pail of high quality lube.

I found a Shell lube which costs less for 5G than 1-2G of generic auto parts 1 gallon lube. And has far superior additive package providing increased cling on the gears and much improved "cushion" between the gears. IE: Thicker oil film where it counts without being thicker oil. I want to say it's 85w140, but they have a thinner alternative if you are up north. The lube I use is designed for heavy equipment/dumptrucks with portal gears, and is far more appropriate than car lube.

Having the pail handy let's me top off easily by myself, I change the hub lube more frequently as needed, etc. You should get two compelte changes from a pail, and the cost was about the same as buying lube for change in the auto parts store. Just look for a shell jobber.

For what it's worth the Shell GL-5 I use is GL-4 "safe" per the lab, as they have replaced the additives which used to attach the syncronizers with newer alternatives. (Want to say the old one was sulfur based). I run Redline in the tranny, but may try the shell next change.

Have fun,

Alan
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Oops, I said Shell, but meant Chevron..... here's a snippet from an old post I made on this:

Redline "shockproof" is one that works, but is extremely expensive in quantities the Pinz needs.

Chevron Delo® Gear Lubricants ESI 85W-140 is available in 5 gallon pails for about what a few quarts of the Red-line is. It should be easier to source outside of the US than the red-line as well. I do use the redline tranny oil with good results. But for about $40 for a 5 gallon pail, the Chevron has worked out well. Here's a quote, albeit from the mfg:

"Delo Gear Lubricants ESI rival the performance levels of synthetic gear lubricants and are a cost-effective alternative to synthetic fluids.

Tests prove that Chevron Delo Gear Lubricants ESI provide a wear protection film three to five times thicker than the conventional antiwear film. This patented anti-wear technology reduces friction to ensure superior gear protection and cooler operating temperatures. Chevron Delo Gear Lubricants ESI maintain thermal stability, contributing to improved fuel economy, longer gear and lubricant life as well as energy conservation. Use of these lubricants will not adversely affect seal materials."

Note the comment on seals, as that's a biggie. I noticed significant quieting when I went to this lube, though you still hear a whine.

I've run this lube for several years and been very pleased.

Have fun,

Alan
ms1223

Post by ms1223 »

I have not been able to find any Chevron Delo® Gear Lubricants ESI 85W-140 here in Illinois, or any weight Chevron lube.
Any suggestion on where to find the lube? Is there a suitable substitue out there, other than redline?
Swifty 72 710M