spring removal

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Here is a picture of the cheap compressor I used, in action. You can see the protrusions on the top that fouled the body during installation, and the arc of the bolts that put mechanical stress in places you don't want mechincal stress.

Before I moved on to pre-compessing the spring as shown, one of the all-thread rods snapped causing the other to immediatly snap, too. At the time I had the spring on the floor with my foot on it, so all the drama happened to the left and right of me rather than through me. The projectiles could easily have gone through me had any body parts been in the path. The visualization reminds me of a joke:

Q: Why did they stop the leper hockey game?
A: There was a face off in the corner.

Makes you wanna run out and get one, eh?

Comparing this design to the pictures Jim posted, you can see the advantages of supporting the all-thread rod with a sleeve.

Somewhere else Jim pointed out that you have to be careful not to compress the spring too much, lest you damage the spring itself.

-Evan
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Evan, That looks frightening.
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

i have never had any luck with the search engine on this forum, i always try it first and barely ever get what im looking for it just puts up random posts all the time? sorry if i am repetitive but its good to go over things a couple o times anyway sorry and thanks

ps wait untill i start putting the 710m back together i hope not to drive you guys crazy with questions. :)
710M 1972
710k 1974
hrafn

Post by hrafn »

Does anybody have an OEM spring compressor? If so, would you be willing
to trace the bottom plate on a piece of paper and mail it to me?

Please PM.

Many thanks,
Jay
W3PNZ
710K Kommandowagen
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I'd be interested in a tracing of this too. Anybody able to help?
Many thanks. Paul
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

What do you need a tracing for? Have I not posted images already?
It is simple, make a cardboard mock up and test fit it. Common sense dictates simplicity :roll:
However when I can find the time I will see if I can scan the plate.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Here's some pic's of the original coil compressor, I think Jim posted these before the forum blew up.

I don't have a larger size on the last one, sorry :(

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Jim

Sorry, the last time you posted a reference to that CAD file, I tried to get it to show up on my computer. I did search. No go.

Yeah, I do live out in Bim-F*ck-Nowhere, and my computer is powered by coal, but it didn't work.

Despite my successfully using a set of regular spring compressors for the job in the past, you guys have convinced me that I was just lucky to survive and of the need for a safer tool. I was interested in recreating the original design as closely as possible in the goal of building the safest tool.

I wouldn't have made the request for a tracing if I'd been able to find your info.

I apologize if I'm coming off like a hack. I don't mean to. I just woke up to dealing with two immature family members, and my broken neck hurts like a bitch again today, maybe the weather. (Sorry, there's no emoticon showing me with a gun in my mouth.)

Truth is, a lot of us look to the few really knowledgeable guys like you for help we can't get down at the local parts store. I'm sure it gets frustrating to spend your time to cover the same topics time and again. But for what it's worth, there are a bunch of us ignorant, frustrated Pinz owners out here who are grateful for you guys' help.

Paul Underwood
todds112

Post by todds112 »

I bet that tool kit is worth eleventy-billion dollars. :shock:
1973 712M
ka

Post by ka »

this thread just gave me a gr8 idea for a cool new weapon
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

At one point in time I had talked to Brian and Scott about having one made. Some thing was said about the liability ? being to high to have them made. Maybe if there was enough intrust they would make up a batch?

Miles, the pics are from Scotts Web site (spring cup removal) wounder why they removed the pic's

Erik
hrafn

Post by hrafn »

Jim,

Like Paul, I searched unsuccessfully for the CAD drawings.

I can fabricate things if I have measurements or a drawing, but I'm not
too good at making things from just looking at a photo(s).
Jay
W3PNZ
710K Kommandowagen
ka

Post by ka »

who currently owns the one (or one like it) in that photos?
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential