Registering a Pinz in California

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Desert Cat

Registering a Pinz in California

Post by Desert Cat »

Hello all,
I'm very interested in getting a Pinz and made a few calls to DMV here in regulation-rich California. Each person I talked to seemed to have a different answer or just didn't know if I could register one.

Then they had me call CARB and the guy told me first that he didn't know either, then that I could try to register it but it would be prohibitively expensive. That's the way the law is supposed to work to discourage older imports.

Has anyone here had success registering a Pinzgauer in California? I know that titled Pinzs are for sale in CA from time to time. What do I have to do to get one of these?

Thanks,

Mike

p.s. Don't answer "Move to another state." Heard that one before many times.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

What year is your Pinz? 1974 and older are no problem, just get a weight slip at a certified scale and a VIN verification by the CHP. If it is newer you may have problems, give it a try anyway. Just walk into DMV with the paperwork, you may get lucky.
Desert Cat

Post by Desert Cat »

pinzinator wrote:What year is your Pinz? 1974 and older are no problem, just get a weight slip at a certified scale and a VIN verification by the CHP. If it is newer you may have problems, give it a try anyway. Just walk into DMV with the paperwork, you may get lucky.
Thanks for the answer. I am looking at pre 1975 rigs. Some of them are out of state. So I get the weight slip (has to show under 6000 lbs, right?) VIN verification paper of some kind, and the out-of-state title, go to DMV and fill out their reg 343 form and that's it? Cool.
ka

Post by ka »

actually, 1975 is the youngest you can reg in cal, not 1974.

ask glyn (absolute securty). he had no problem registering his 1975.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Ka, you are grossly incorrect.
If you try to register a 75 in Ca it can be rejected or you can face a $500 smog impact fee, especially if it is from out of state. Those already here are the safest bet.
I don't sell vehicles, but I fix em and hear all the horror stories, that is also fact.
The law is clear on this in Ca . Just because a couple go under the radar does not negate the "Grey market" vehicle laws here.
The statute clearly states" Dec 31 1974" as last manufacture date to be allowed.
Search archives here and on Yahoo groups for links to prove your mis-information :shock:
True facts and statutes were posted by E.I previously. You can also go to Ca website and view Gray market laws if you cannot accept facts already posted here.
"Caviat Emptor" {let the buyer beware}
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
captxmas

California Pinz registration

Post by captxmas »

Greetings all.

I registered my 1974 Pinz last year in the San Francisco Bay Area. I went to my local DMV who were of course confused. they had no problem registering the rig but were totally confused as to how to integrate a VIN #.

In the end we used the Styre number on the top line of the ID plate next to the driver's seat. About 7 numbers if I remember correctly.

Whenever they said they had to check with Sacramento I merely stated that there are a bunch of these vehicles already registered in this state and they just need to look one up. Well, no one wants to ask for help and they processed it without any calls. My registration calls the vehicle a "Pinz" with a 7 number Vin.

Whole process took less than 30 minutes.

You shouldn't have a problem. Let me know if you want a copy of my documentation if there is a problem.

:P
Capt Xmas
Desert Cat

Re: California Pinz registration

Post by Desert Cat »

captxmas wrote: Whenever they said they had to check with Sacramento I merely stated that there are a bunch of these vehicles already registered in this state and they just need to look one up.
And what the ones in Sacramento did when I called was started searching the internet.

You shouldn't have a problem. Let me know if you want a copy of my documentation if there is a problem.
Great. You're officially on the hook for making sure my reg goes smoothly! :wink:

BTW, was your truck purchaced from out of state? Where was the seller's title issued?
Pinz Enthusiast

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

Desert Cat,

listen to Jim L. he is totally right on this also do not go get it eighed and register it as a truck, you should tell them it is a SUV and register it as such, I did the truck registeration and payed all the fees, only to take it to a referss station 4 months later and have it re-registered as a SUV and got a refund on my weight fees, if the argu with you have them look up Expidition Imports, Scott registered them as as SUV's, I had the rear canvas down and opened the rear door to show the referss that the back had seats and seat belts and told him could only be a SUV, also if your looking for a 710 the weight will be no problem, when I weighed my 712 it came in at exactly 5000lbs with a full gas tank so you I beat the 3 axel 6000lb rule.
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Simple way through the whole DMV thing.... ( in Cal).
Buy a 1974 or earlier.... no question on CARB, and smog requirements, vehicles are exempted.... this is the root to all vehicle registration in CA. CARB doesn't have testing emmissions on a Pinz, and you can't afford to have it done... ( and before some one ask, all newer "used" cars from out of state have EPA labels....Pinzes and other 'gray' market car don't have... hence the 25 year EPA exemption for Federal importation).

Buy a vehicle that has a title from the state, with current registration ( some states don't issue titles for older vehicles, only registrations, raises an eyebrow at DMV, and slows them down).

When taking to the DMV, or a DMV service ( like Auto Club), register it as: Make, Steyr... Model ,Pinzgauer. Also have all the rear seats in "useable" seat position. When they do a vehicle inspection, you can register it as type,"Utility", like a Jeep and avoid weighing it, and paying weight fees. DO NOT make ANY comments about it having a 1 ton payload capacity, or you just may have talked the official into registering it as a truck and you'll be on the line for the weight slip and fees. This not sidestepping the DMV ,but a truthful application, unless you plan to use the Pinz commercially.

If you have the title and are a member of Auto Club, take it to them and they can do all the DMV paperwork, and insure it( if you have insurance with them).
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Desert Cat

Post by Desert Cat »

Pinz Enthusiast wrote:Desert Cat,

listen to Jim L. he is totally right on this also do not go get it eighed and register it as a truck, you should tell them it is a SUV and register it as such, I did the truck registeration and payed all the fees, only to take it to a referss station 4 months later and have it re-registered as a SUV and got a refund on my weight fees, if the argu with you have them look up Expidition Imports, Scott registered them as as SUV's, I had the rear canvas down and opened the rear door to show the referss that the back had seats and seat belts and told him could only be a SUV, also if your looking for a 710 the weight will be no problem, when I weighed my 712 it came in at exactly 5000lbs with a full gas tank so you I beat the 3 axel 6000lb rule.
This is excellent info. Thanks.

OT: I too am a LR owner--reliability wise, which vehicle would you say is more likely to get you home from a remote spot, engine/drivetrain wise (leaving off-road capability out of the equation).
og

Post by og »

This is completely bogus. I have '75 Pinz in CA and there were no issues with
registration whatsoever. It came with a CO title. A little guidance from Scott from EI helped. As for a smog, vehicles made in 1975 and older are exempt. This is exact wording of a law.
Vehicles made in 1975 and older. Not vehicles made before 1975! 1975 is OK.
1976 is not. For smog purposes only. I guess you can register any newer year
you want if you are willing to undergo smog checks. Make is Steyr, Model is
Pinzgauer. When you do vehicle ID, you point the DMV person to the
vehicle ID plates. In EU, title typically contains both chassis and engine numbers, while in US, chassis number is the only number used and that is on your title.
Last edited by og on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
OG
Desert Cat

Post by Desert Cat »

David Dunn wrote:Simple way through the whole DMV thing.... ( in Cal).
Buy a 1974 or earlier.... no question on CARB, and smog requirements, vehicles are exempted.... this is the root to all vehicle registration in CA. CARB doesn't have testing emmissions on a Pinz, and you can't afford to have it done... ( and before some one ask, all newer "used" cars from out of state have EPA labels....Pinzes and other 'gray' market car don't have... hence the 25 year EPA exemption for Federal importation).

Buy a vehicle that has a title from the state, with current registration ( some states don't issue titles for older vehicles, only registrations, raises an eyebrow at DMV, and slows them down).

When taking to the DMV, or a DMV service ( like Auto Club), register it as: Make, Steyr... Model ,Pinzgauer. Also have all the rear seats in "useable" seat position. When they do a vehicle inspection, you can register it as type,"Utility", like a Jeep and avoid weighing it, and paying weight fees. DO NOT make ANY comments about it having a 1 ton payload capacity, or you just may have talked the official into registering it as a truck and you'll be on the line for the weight slip and fees. This not sidestepping the DMV ,but a truthful application, unless you plan to use the Pinz commercially.

If you have the title and are a member of Auto Club, take it to them and they can do all the DMV paperwork, and insure it( if you have insurance with them).
David,
Ok this is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks to you and everyone who replied.
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

og wrote:This is completely bogus. I have '75 Pinz in CA and there were no issues with
registration whatsoever. It came with a CO title. A little guidance from Scott from EI helped. As for a smog, vehicles made in 1975 and older are exempt. This is exact wording of a law.
Vehicles made in 1975 and older. Not vehicles made before 1975! 1975 is OK.
you want if you are willing to undergo smog checks. Make is Steyr, Model is
Pinzgauer. When you do vehicle ID, you point the DMV person to the
vehicle ID plates. In EU, title typically contains both chassis and engine numbers, while in US, chassis number is the only number used and that is on your title.
As previously stated by a couple of posters, just because some 1975 Pinzgauers have been registered doesn't mean that you will be able to. Additionally, you may at some point end up paying your smog impact fee when you renew your registration.

I have registered a significant number of Pinzgauers in the great state of Commiefornia and the rules are very clear, 1974 and older are no problem. 1975 is hit or miss and anything newer is prohibited. 1976 and newer trucks are not legal in California, smogged or not. Re-read Jim LaGuardia's post or do a search for this topic and read the postings by Scott at Expedition Imports.

There's a reason that 1974 and older trucks cost more than the newer trucks...
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

og wrote:This is completely bogus. I have '75 Pinz in CA and there were no issues with
registration whatsoever.Vehicles made in 1975 and older. Not vehicles made before 1975! 1975 is OK.
you want if you are willing to undergo smog checks.
Og
There have been cases where '75s have been rejected by a state official in the past

Your "guess" for 1976 and newer could not be any wronger. CARB smog tests are base on emission test from when a vehicle was originally certified for sale in the state of Cal....Since Pinzes and most gray market cars were never certified ( or tested) by the state, they have no emission standards, AND unlike may states that use information from a "similiar" car or engine, Cal does not. Cal's testings are for an engine , in a vehicle with a specified transmission and rear axle ratio, and specified weight class ( for trucks). Once a vehicle is considered a "used vehicle" by the state, and has all EPA labels, it can be registered.

Based on the "questioniblty" of what I am trying to register, I use Auto Club for the easy ones ( they enjoy seeing the vehicles), DMV ( some employee enjoy seeing them too, but I have a "disscussion" with a supervisor) and a private DMV service ( that wishes I'd lose their phone number :lol: ).

I also have owned trucks that I know wouldn't get registered in Cal, that ended up being sold out of state, and out of country. It all depends on how much effect and money you want to put into something, or eliminate all hassles, or walk away.

Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
og

Post by og »

I guess we can agree that pretty much any Pinzgauer can be registered in CA but the question is whether it will need smog or not?! Correct?

Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?

Smog inspections are required *unless* your vehicle is:

* Hybrid
* 1975 year model or older <--- 1975 is OK!!!
* Diesel powered
* Electric
* Natural gas powered and has a Gross Vehicle Weight rating of 14,001 lbs. or more.
* Motorcycle
* Trailer

We can split the hair here and claim that "model year" is ambiguous, but I can argue that military does not buy vehicles by model years. In fact contracts are typically secured and vehicle configurations are frozen years in advance of delivery. In the absence of clear-cut definition of model year for the 30 year old vehicle, the year of manufacture is the only relevant information. If anyone
wants exact day (birthday) of manufacture of their Pinzgauer, send the 50EU to Magna and they will send you the original paperwork for your vehicle. I know, I did it.
Finally, I would be most interested in hearing from anyone with 1975 Pinz with
CA title who is required to do a smog check.
OG