Battery Tender / Trickle Charger

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Heed

Battery Tender / Trickle Charger

Post by Heed »

Have any of you (those that are electrical gurus!) looked into this battery tender / trickle charger for our trucks??

http://batterytender.com "Power Tender Plus"

It is available in a 24 volt version, and, at the risk of sounding stupid...

...can it be used?

I have picked up a Solar Technologies 20A charge controller. Would this product be able to work in conjunction with the controller, or do you think the inner electronics would be in conflict with each other.

The tender comes with a 20-25 foot quick-detach cord. It certainly seems to be an easy way to maintain batteries for those of us who do not use our trucks as "daily drivers". Just pull in the garage and plug in (in theory!)

Thanks!
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Kirby

awesome little charger

Post by Kirby »

I have been using this "charger" for 5 years, I use two of them. I have the orignal battery set -up ~ but have two red top Optimas. I just disconnect the cross over that connects the two batteries and hook up the two chargers. Sits for up to 6 weeks and have never had a problem with any of the vehicles. I also have them on a P-up truck, two boats and two jet skiis.

I check the voltage output of the charger every trip out there, when it drops below 11.0 - I replace the charger (have done this 3 times). I did find that anything above 11.0 maintained the battery still, with no bad effects - I think the electronics in the charger just "wear out" :?:

For the price, you might think ---junk..... but they work really good.

Automatic Battery Float Charger Made by Chicago Electric Power Tools
Skip the aggravation of a jump-start by keeping your vehicle's battery fully charged.

Use on 12 volt batteries while in storage or during cold weather
Floating circuit maintains a full charge without overcharging
Automatic safety shutoff

Item #: 42292-4VGA
$7.99 $4.99
Harbor Frieght :arrow: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/C ... &pricetype
Pinzing is AWESOME.
cwblevins

Power Tender plus

Post by cwblevins »

Power Tender plus is a great product I use one in my 710m and we use the with our fire trucks here at our local volunteer fired department.

Curtis
Just because you can do something does not mean you should.

Life is tough! It is even tougher when you are stupid.
John Wayne
ka

Post by ka »

kirby - re that harbor freight link you dropped in your post - is that something you know about? i'm wondering what makes it so much cheaper than a battery tender version.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Kirby

Yes they work....

Post by Kirby »

An item that I know about :?:

I know I have been using them for years and they work, they are inexpensive, and when they have failed - I replace them. It is not very often they go bad, I can tell because they just start putting less and less voltage to the battery.

Since I go out to Havasu (That is where I have all this stuff) every 3-5 weeks:D , I check the voltage everytime before I pull the chargers off. Most of the time they are still putting 11.0 volts or more.. and that keeps the batteries up and good.

I have 8 of them in use right now - 1 Pick up truck, 2 jet skiis, 3 boat batteries and (saved the best for last) both batteries on the Pinz.... and in case you want the chargers -

- I will give both of them to you for FREE... :D :D
.you just need to buy my Pinzgauer... :mrgreen:

or it is ITEM # 42292-4VGA on http://www.harborfreight.com
Pinzing is AWESOME.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

If you get the Harbor Freight flyers and or e-mails they are $3.99 now. I have used them also and have had good results. Maybe I'm doing it wrong,but I just kill the ground and charge one battery at a time,but I don't disconnect the short bridge between the two. One batt one day,the other the next,been doing it for years. This is providing ALL elecrtical items' grounds thru the vehicle ground switch.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

M Wehrman
One batt one day,the other the next,been doing it for years.
That sounds good, but with 301 miles door to door... not practical for me, plus I have 8 of them hooked up :lol:

Glad to hear someone else is using them, and at $3.99 it is hard to pass up, if I didn't have 3 extra sitting around I would go get some more.....

:idea: but ~ I could have a stock pile for that price :!:
Pinzing is AWESOME.
ms1223

Post by ms1223 »

I've been using this charger for about 4 years without a problem. It is mounted on the top of the batteries.
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-cha ... 403SR.html
Swifty 72 710M