710K Dies on Left Turns

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

ablank

710K Dies on Left Turns

Post by ablank »

Don't know if this is something to be very concerned about or not, or even where to being troubleshooting this. Twice now, I've made a left turn from a stop and the truck died. Most electrical shut off, still had hazards, and starter, but it seems no spark. Of course this happens during rush hour on a high traffic street, after a second of panicking, I turn the key off, and back on the truck fires right back up.

Any idea where to start looking? Guess no NASCAR tracks for this truck.
How'd this get here?
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

start at the battery and inspect all the connections make shure everything is connected properly then look behind the dash for wires that may have come undone .also look at the wires around the engine good luck
710M 1972
710k 1974
Thomas-E

Left Turns?

Post by Thomas-E »

Check the wiring to the two fuel shut-off solenoids on the carburetors.
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Look for chaffed wires at starter.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Given that Jim tends to lean to the right, I commend his ability to answer a question that leans to the left...

Anyway, from my perspective, as Jim implied, many odd problems arise from poor connections. It is a great investment in wheeling longevity to verify that all of the electrical on your truck connections on your truck are secure, and free of oxidation and corrosion. I pulled the connector going into the engine cover yesterday. The fat red wire conector had signs of arcing and corrosion - very, very bad for the alternator and the rest of the truck as I understand. I would highly recommend spending an afternoon or two cleaning every electrical contact you can find on the truck and reassembling with an appropriate anti-corrosion paste, after cleaning the surfaces. MY experience says to pay special attention to the carb solenoids. Not specific to your question; just my experience.

-Evan
Squiggas

Post by Squiggas »

I don't know if this is the same problem. When I'm off road traversing a slope with the right hand side downhill, the engine cuts out after just a few seconds. Then it's REALLY difficult to get it started again. Once back on the level everything returns to normal.

It was suggested to me that maybe I was low on fuel and sucking air into the fuel line, but last time it happened I had half a tank full.
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Are the float levels in the carburators set correctly?

-Evan
Squiggas

Post by Squiggas »

I don't know if my float levels are set correctly. Carburetors are a mystery to me. The only thing I know about my carburetors is that they are completely black inside. Looking down into them is like looking into a bottomless pit.

Hmmm... Now that I've written that I've got a feeling that they shouldn't be black.

I haven't considered the carburetors to part of the problem because there are two of them. It seems unlikely that both of them would develop exactly the same fault, bearing in mind that when the fault occurs it's difficult to get even one cylinder to fire, and after that the engine bursts back into life.
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I know that this is long shot but I had a short in my horn wire (in the steering column) that caused it to beep every time I turned to one side. Quite annoying to say the least!! Perhaps that's where your shorted wire is.
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

EvanH wrote:Are the float levels in the carburators set correctly?

-Evan
+1
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
SAM. C.

Earth Wire

Post by SAM. C. »

Hi All

I had a problem with my truck dying at random and could not find a pattern to it. It turned out to be the thick braided earth strap that connects to the underside (out of view) of the 24V cut out switch behind the drivers seat. From memory it was a braided copper strap that had corroded to a point where i was amazed ther was any connection at all.

I cant remember exactly the series of connections but it was very messy under there. Once replaced the problem dissapeared. so it might be worth taking a look.

Sam