Turn Signal collar is loose

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

mockingbird812

Turn Signal collar is loose

Post by mockingbird812 »

I did a search and could not find this problem (I suspect is very common). The collar that fits around the steering column, just below the steering wheel, that holds the turn signal stalk, is loose. I have to hold the collar in order to flip the turn signal stalk up or down.

Any fixes?

Thanks! :)
Sam
'71 710K
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

The collar that is part of the turn signal switch has 2 screws that clamp it to the column. They are in recessed openings on the left side of the collar. Just below the turn signal switch is a ring or collar that surrounds the steering column and supports the turn signal switch. It is held in place by a set screw that is usually flush with the collar and therefore difficult to see.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Thilo Kass http://www.mogsrus.com/ has made up some replacement for the metal partial ring thingie. It has a couple of teeth to keep the mechanism from sliding around. Around $10.00 as I recall.

-Evan
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Thanks Paul - I'll check it out tonite!

Evan - If I can't fix it, I'll give Thilo a call.
Thank you.
Sam
'71 710K
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Put a piece of double sided foam tape on the inside of the clamp half of the collar; the foam tape takes up space to make it tigher, and the adhesive of the foam tape will prevent it from moving unless you use tools! Sometimes you can find black foam tape, then it is invisible.

Jim M.
Squiggas

Post by Squiggas »

I had that problem about a year ago. I removed the collar, wrapped a couple of turns of black insulation tape around the column and then replaced the collar. It hasn't budged since.
critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

I wrapped mine with electical tap 4 years ago. Haven't had to messed with it since.

Bob
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

All good suggestions. I forgot that I tried to tackle this (albeit half-hearted) awhile back and found that my screw heads were rounded which did not allow me to get the fasteners tight enough to hold the collar in place. I went to my local True Value last evening to look for replacements fasteners. Found some nice metric hex heads (figured I could torque these better than phillips head) but the heads were too wide for the recesses.

So, I ended up placing a radiator clamp around the collar (but under the turn signal harness) between the turn signal stalk and the dash. This solved the problem for me so far. The turn signal stalk appears to be very firmly positioned at this point. Only tested it from home to work this a.m though. Will report back after getting a few more miles on her.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

:D
Sam
'71 710K
mockingbird812

Post by mockingbird812 »

Quick update: the rad. clamp that I installed to correct the meandering turn signal stalk is working just fine after a couple hundred kliks on the odometer. Firmly attached and stable.

Thanks again!
Sam
'71 710K