Instrument Panel Srews.

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

cronapress
Great Britain

Instrument Panel Srews.

Post by cronapress »

I've removed my instrument panel for painting. Of the 5 retaining screws (Vibrex Lock in the book of words), only one was doing its job. The other 4 were just "sitting there".

Having studied the things, how do they work in situ ?? If the (grey) tip is held fast and the srew head is turned, then the action of the two plastic bits with inclines on cause the rubber grip to compress and expand to grip the shroud. Fine so far. BUT.... if there's nothing to grip the grey/bullet tip, it too revolves and thus no compressing action takes place. The screw will just turn and turn and...

Short of sending in a team of highly trained white mice with Mole Grips into the shroud - how on earth do these tighten up again ??

With one exception, they all look like new. One out of 5 not doing its job is OK, but 5 out of 5 may call for something from the "bodge it" box. Double sided tape springs to mind !

I don't want to be beaten by a stupid bit of plastic !

Am I missing something very basic here ?

Mike,
Ayrshire.
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Sorry. For "Srews" read "Skrews" or "Scroos" or.... dammit, you know what I mean ! (It's been a bad day).

Mike.
Ayrshire.
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Back when I worked on Pinzies, I could reach around with fingers and grab the rubbers or use a needle nose pliers on the stubborn ones.
ka

new design required

Post by ka »

bombing around in my pinz often jars the instrument panel right off so its dangling by wires that ground and SPARK. i'm going to fix this poor design. before i dig into it, has anyone else changed this design to something good, or even awesome? i would love to not redesign another wheel.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I used Expansion Well-Nuts that I found at my local hardware store. They are rubber with a threaded insert. You push them into the existing hole and then insert a bolt thru the dash panel into the well-nut and tighten. The rubber expands and holds it all in place. I couldn't find metric so used 1/4-20 with some nice looking allen head bolts.

The well-nuts are available at McMaster-Carr if your hardware store doesn't have them - http://www.mcmaster.com/#well-nuts/=1scyey .

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ka

Post by ka »

gr8! thx, paul
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Thanks to all for info. I think I'll try and locate those rubber inserts Paul refers to. Someone on this side of the pond should stock them.

I don't think my hands are skinny enough to reach the back of all the Vibrex thingies in situ!

Mike.
Ayrshire.