Fast Idle Install

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Alan, None of the videos really explain the Idle. The only one that would. Would be of the car wash with your feet out the window did no one video?

For the most part the videos you have posted. none really show anything different, than what the pinz even with carbs can do.
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Erik712m wrote:Alan, None of the videos really explain the Idle. The only one that would. Would be of the car wash with your feet out the window did no one video?
I asked Jason to upload that one today.

The ones with the angle indicator are me going up a steep bank. Not as clear as if I had the tach in the same video, but it's absolutely the "off road cruise control" effect. You can hear the RPM does not even drop.

For the most part the videos you have posted. none really show anything different, than what the pinz even with carbs can do.
Except for having the carbs talk to electronic gauges on a laptop... :-)

And the one in the ditch, where I'd bog it almost to a stall, then run up the bank. Yes, hard to tell from video, but it'd be very hard to do that repeatedly with carbs without a backfire, stall, etc. You were the videographer! :-)

Next time I head for hill country, we'll idle up the mountain with the video running..... there is one spot almost 45 degrees. We've been busy with the commercial install, but with that out I'll try to film some more.

Even super steep hils are not as hard as whoop-de-doos, curbs, and parking lot stops, as it's much harder to have the controller add quickly, then back down as you go over. Without surging, etc.

Have fun,

Alan
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Alan, lets get some RWHP and AFR data from this puppy on my chassis dyno.. You could get some video of the dyno run that may help illustrate how the FI performs under load at low RPM as you should be able to pull from 800 RPM in 5th gear on the rollers clear to redline.. They only weigh 5,000 pounds :-) (and a VW engine can do that with carbs!)

It would only take 30 minutes to get the numbers and I won't even charge you..
Jake Raby
Owner, Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

MASSIVE PINZ wrote:Alan, lets get some RWHP and AFR data from this puppy on my chassis dyno.. You could get some video of the dyno run that may help illustrate how the FI performs under load at low RPM as you should be able to pull from 800 RPM in 5th gear on the rollers clear to redline.. They only weigh 5,000 pounds :-) (and a VW engine can do that with carbs!)

It would only take 30 minutes to get the numbers and I won't even charge you..

do it!!! I'll be in the area for steal soldiers in August I bet my stock pinz minus carbs could do the 5th gear pull. Lets show the VW group how the real Aircooled was suppose to perform not that copy cat oil leaking engine :lol: :lol: Alan you know you'd make lekwana proud. And I know I spelled his name wrong! I have had to much to drink to night to even find the write spelling. :lol:
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Alan, it would really drive the point home if you'd show them how to start in fifth with out your foot on the pedal!! :shock: :shock:
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Whats so big about that? I've been able to do that since my first dyno session well over 3 1/2 years ago. The off idle and crawling were the easiest part of the mapping with the stock engine, it was the midrange that took a bit more fine tuning :roll:
I used Calico for all my crawling trials as you can see by my avatar.
Proof that you can drive an injected Pinz on one wheel and still stay running flawlessly :twisted:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Jake, that would be fun. Do you have a way to easily vary the load? IE: Like whoop-de-do's? (multiple sharp 1-2' hills, boulders, etc)

Jim, what Erik has seen & is commenting on is far beyond just a nice, strong idle torque. We had that with the Gen 1 in Herbert's "Green pickle" pinz. What we've implemented with the current production is actively managing air, fuel, and spark all in conjunction around a target idle.

Think traditional closed loop idle but on steroids. Normal closed loop idle goes temporarily lean with large air changes when bogged, as they do not trigger an accel shot as there was no a pedal movement. And this is entirely separate from your normal fuel & spark maps. Takes way more granularity than just idle control to avoid bucking, surging, etc around large air movements. Increasing & decreasing. (See above on the states)

I know you won't believe it until you drive it, but I can say with authority that the EMS & Hal-tech controllers do not do what I'm talking about with their IAC modes.

The closest analogy I can come up with is a cruise control at idle speeds. That'd be about the only way to duplicate what we've done, and that's about how it works, up & down embankments, over boulders, etc.

Have fun,

Alan
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I was able to climb a pretty good grade to day without going over 1300 rpm. Lots of little pedal movement. I think I have it pretty well tuned in now.

Thanks every one for the help fine tuning.

A couple of pic's from today.

MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

alan,
I can easily vary load with use of the dyno's brake system.. The brakes are from a train and can stop the 5,000+ pound rollers from 150 MPH in less than 4 seconds :-)
Jake Raby
Owner, Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Your truck end up very nice. Are you going to install a window or cut it to install the doors?
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

chacaocop1 wrote:Your truck end up very nice. Are you going to install a window or cut it to install the doors?
I plan on installing the window tops I just have not been able to locate any.