Let the resto begin!

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

todds112

Let the resto begin!

Post by todds112 »

I have the back of the truck torn down to the "flat bed". I'm just doing a "spruce up" more than a restoration. Fixing some minor rust issues that were appearing.

Starting stripping paint off the tailgate today. There must be 10 layers of paint on the truck!

I found a weird seam sealant between the cab and bed. It was white and looks like chewed bubble gum. It's still tacky after all these years. The body cavities are still full of waxoyl. That's nasty gooey stuff. It seems to do it's job.

The body itself is in pretty good shape. The tailgate and rear panels are a bit rougher. Side panels are pretty good. No rust just lots of old paint. I'm thinking it would be a good time for a spray in bedliner while it's all apart.

I have found a bit of bondo in her too. My window frames are not pretty and will be the last part of the project. Not looking forward to the cost of window seals and door gaskets.

I'll start getting some pics up. It's certainly not going to be as thorough as Miles' job. Well, wish me luck. Any advice would be appreciated too.
1973 712M
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Todd,
I found the same white chewed gum in the 710 I'm restoring/fixing. It was in some of the body corners and along some seams. I think you're right in that it is a seam sealant.

I picked up a small sandblaster unit to do the bed after using a paint/rust removal wheel in my angle grinder didn't work out very well because of the ribs in the bed.

Good luck and have lots of fun,

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

carefull i thought that all i was going to do was spray in some bedliner and do the windshield now mine looks like thisImage
710M 1972
710k 1974