batteries

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

krick3tt

batteries

Post by krick3tt »

...for the electrical wizzards out there.

It is getting time to think about new batteries. I seem to be the last of the lucky few that got a deal from a pallet of Optima batteries. Mine are still (?) good but I have been told that all the others in the group have given up the ghost.

Can I mix red top and yellow top or do they both have to be the same?

I have a Warn 9000 and I run my ARB cooler on camping trips off the batteries at night. Yes, I did install a switch in line with the 24 to 12 converters to avoid unnecessary drain at the CB and Webasto points.

What is my best option for batteries?

Morris
ka

Post by ka »

agm batteries are the best all-round. cant mix types since they need to stay equal. i'm not sure why everyone thinks optimas are so gr8 - i think it's advertizing. i use mk that i got at ebatteriestogo. cheapest place to get batteries i know. mk's are very high quality. not flashy, just real.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Q

Post by Q »

I too am trying to decide right now and could use advice from the wizards, as I need to replace my 'Interstate' C27F-XHD 's.
From all the info on the other threads it seems like AGM is the way to go...
So some good choices for AGM batteries from the other threads and forums seem to be... so far:

'MK' 8G27 (USA)
'Odyssey' pc1500 34/78 (Group 34 so a bit smaller?)(USA or Wales?)
'Optima' D31A Yellow Top (Group 31 so a bit bigger, but fits being 12.5" long on bottom?)(Mexico?)
'Lifeline' GPL-2700T (Marine terminals only?)(USA)
'Universal Battery' UB12900 (with Z terminals) (China, but less pricey at $140)

Is that right? Did I miss some (like 'Exide-Orbital', 'Deka', etc, etc...)?
I can't find any of the Group 27 or so sized AGM's with the terminal posts 'reversed' (as the original batteries have). Seems like the original leads will reach either way though (unless in my case they were replaced with longer ones at some point).