Wont Start

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

SAM. C.

Wont Start

Post by SAM. C. »

Greetings Gents

I have two Pinzgauers both have not really been used for six months and have been standing for 4. They both have exactly the same symptoms wont start). When turned over they fire for a couple of seconds but will not run or fire at all after that. They both started fine up to a month ago but something has happened to both of them.

Points ore Ok, Plugs are sparking. I was suspecting crappy fuel as i have heard umleaded dosent last long but they would run rough wouldnt they rather than not fire at all? I suspect fuel starvation of some sort as after a lot of turning over i would expect them to reek of fuel which is not the case. I am wondering if something like a fuel pump diaphragm has gone dry & perished.

Before i go to the job of draining the fuel i thought i would consult the oracle to see if you can come up with any clues.

Thanks Chaps

Sam
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

I would agree with your diagnosis regarding the fuel pump or the fuel filter. If you feel froggy, you can pump some fuel manually into the carbs (I can't say more than that because I don't want you to come find me when your truck blows up). That would definitely be my first troubleshooting step if the truck has been sitting.

Remember, the only things that a gasoline engine needs to run are an ignition source, fuel and air.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

First see if it is getting fuel and spark(Spark should be at least 3/4"and blue).
Fuel lines and fuel filters should also be checked for leaks or blockage.
Fuel pressure is 2.5-3psi.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."