Questions about stock steel wheels and wider wheels

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

texas pinzgauer

Questions about stock steel wheels and wider wheels

Post by texas pinzgauer »

A friend has introduced me to a shop that does lots of custom steel wheel fabrication work for motorsports applications. The friend thought they could probably fabricate wider steel wheel for the Pinz very cost effectively.

I have two questions about this:

Is the stock wheel is 5" X 160 mm?

Is there a "reasonable" limit to how wide a wheel that could be used for a Pinz without causing problems like wheel bearing failures or things of that nature?

I'd like to go wider to have more tire options but I don't want to tear up stuff that seems to be working just fine as is.

Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated. BTW - I've shared with the wheel shop that there are others who might have an interest in these wheels if they're cost effective and don't cause incremental problems so this might be a good source for all of us to consider.

Thanks.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Is the stock wheel is 5" X 160 mm?
Yes.

Is there a "reasonable" limit to how wide a wheel that could be used for a Pinz without causing problems like wheel bearing failures or things of that nature?
A local guy here had ten inch wide wheels made and he has had a few locker problems no bearing failer. I have eight inch wide wheels and the biggest thing I have noticed it did rub on the tank guard and the front finder flair. After I put on some serious spring I haven't noticed any rubbing.

If you look at some of Eric P. pinzgauers you'll see he changed the front finder or what ever you call it I can only imagine is was because of rubbing.
texas pinzgauer

I'm thinking like 7" is all I'd be looking for Erik.

I'll report back once I hear from the wheel manufacturer.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

andy

Post by andy »

These are the wheels my 712 came with in case ya want to check these guys out. I don't know if they are still in business.

http://www.hummerproducts.com/Pinzgauer%20Wheels.htm

I'd be careful with locally owned shops. There was one up north that created major hassels for folks. I want to say USA^X6 or something like that, but won't swear to it.

Cheers,

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
krick3tt

stock wheels

Post by krick3tt »

Check with Scott at EI or Jim L. ...both have access to wheels for the pinz and to support the site sponsor is a good thing.
texas pinzgauer

Obviously dealing with someone "friendly" to the Pinzgauer community is my first choice always. The firm in question is substantial but does custom stuff and weird sizes frequently. They've been very responsive to my inquiry with emails and a follow up call to talk further about what I'm looking for.

If it's cost effective and it works, I suspect others would like to be running wider wheels to gain more tire options and more ground clearance.

When I hear something for real from these guys, I'll share that with the forum.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

ka

Post by ka »

hey yall.... do any of you know of a source for good wider steel pinz wheels that are just good wheels rather than decorations? i might like wider wheels but i'm not gonna BLING OUT my pinz (or anything else i own for that matter). i loath the decorative.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
texas pinzgauer

My dialogue with these folks IS about steel wheels. No bling here!
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

ka

Post by ka »

ah... good stuff then. i might be reading too fast (being at work). this'll be good data for me.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Steel wheels can be made in just about any medium sized city in the US! :roll: