muffler shop around salt lake?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

ka

muffler shop around salt lake?

Post by ka »

i'm thinking this aftermarket loud muffler on my pinz might be worth changing. do any of you know a good shop around salt lake for pinz exhaust systems?

i'm also looking for any advice re obtaining the quietest and best system...
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I don't remember a good shop in SLC, but maybe ACE (aircooled engineering) would be a good place to get advice- http://www.aircooledengineering.com/

What aftermarket exhaust do you have? I have the stock one, and was thinking of having a new exhaust built with a magnaflow or flowmaster or something like that.
ka

Post by ka »

art (ace) is the guy who rebuilt my carbs and tuned it all up for me! he's kinda hooked into my posse here, remotely. i'll call'm.

the muffler on the pinz right now was new the day i bought the pinz and is small and black and loud.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

todds112

Post by todds112 »

I bought the muffler that EI has. Then I had a local shop run a pipe out the back. It sounds much better and has much less exhaust smell. The EI muffler bolted right in for me. It has a deeper tone, but is pretty quiet.
1973 712M
ka

Post by ka »

those are 1970's mercedes 280s sedan mufflers, scott says. he has no more but i reckon a shop will do that for me. just need to know a good shop. good to hear they're quiet!
1973 710m

EvanH

Post by EvanH »

ka,

Here is my version of a custom exhaust:

http://home.comcast.net/~hillmanpinz/710%20Exhaust.htm

I'll be doing something similar for the 712, only I plan to keep the heat exchanger for the 712.

-Evan
ka

Post by ka »

thx evan! copied all pix - good food for thought.

i'm interested in your diesel heater design. i have no heat exchanger in my truck. but your keeping the heat exchanger in your 712? why?
1973 710m

EvanH

Post by EvanH »

ka,

The "diesel heater design" is pretty much pirated verbatum from what Dennis Williams came up with. At least close enough to give him credit where credit is due. I intended to buy the heater from Dennis, but through a SNAFU that turned out to be mine I bought it from someone else. I still feel like a bit of a jerk. At least in theory.

I used a 12 V heater while Dennis usually supplies the 24 V version. Why? Mostly because the vendor I used (or me) screwed up the order. But the error motivated me to pursue a secondary 12 V system. Hopefully Dennis has made enough money from my other projects to compensate for my misplaced assumption I would buy from him!

The heater runs off of my dual battery 12 V secondary system, so I can run it all night without killing the main batteries. I used an ammo can to ease installing the unit behind the driver's seat.

I eliminated the 710 heat exchanger because it was melted inside. Literally. Blobs of once liquified aluminum fell out the first time I took it off.

I am hoping the 712 exchanger is in good shape. I am planning to cleverly split the case of it (in the Prof Pinz spirit) to clean and check it, then figure out how to reassemble it without leaks. I have already insulated the exhaust headers to maximize the heat transfer to the exchanger from the engine. If all goes well (ha, ha!) I hope to get sufficient heat from the exchanger without adding the $1K+ auxiliary heater. Do you know of any churches that have patron saints for aircooled engines?

Anyhoo, please don't let me forget to post a page of my adventures with the auxiliary heater. Or is this covered in the Book of Mormon?

If you like, we should probably change over to a new thread with a more appropriate title...

- Evan
ka

Post by ka »

wait.... i still dont know what diesel heater you've got installed. the only heaters i know that dennis vends are the gasoline. are diesels better? got pix? let me know if you start a new thread.....

i need to learn what this mormon thing is all about. i never get the jokes. i have a like problem from never having owned a tv.
1973 710m

EvanH

Post by EvanH »

ka,

It is an Eberspacher D2, if I remember correctly.

http://www.eberspacher.com/products/air ... ic-d2.html

It is commonly used in the sleeper of an over-the-road truck to heat it at night. I started out using diesel with it, but as soon as it got cold the diesel jelled clogging the pump. I changed over to kerosene and it worked fine after that.

The heater is installed behind the driver's seat.

-Evan
ka

Post by ka »

man, that sounds gr8. if you have any pix of that install i'd sure appreciate having them. sounds like something that could make romping around the "b" and skyline dr in the winter a lot more fun.
1973 710m