Simple wheel drive puller

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

EvanH

Simple wheel drive puller

Post by EvanH »

I tried my small Highlift jack to pull the wheel drives. It turned out to be very easy, I didn't get the feeling that I was causing undue stress to anything.

I pound a large chisel into the slot on the inner/lower side to open things up and reduce the friction. Much easier than the factory solution.

Now all I need to come up with is a puller for the tie rods. The design of the factory part is fairly unique, the design makes getting a gear puller in there difficult and I have not come up with any clever and non-destructive substitutes.

-Evan
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Evan,

I just picked up a tie rod tool made by OTC. It was $75-ish, which seemed kinda steep. But since I bought it I use it for all tie rod removals. It worked like a charm. It's nearly the same as the Steyr tool, from what I can determine.

Paul
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Paul,

Is this the tool:

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDispl ... up=OTC6297

I was just thinking it would be a help to have a list published somewhere of off-the-shelf tools that substitute for the specialized Pinz tools.

-Evan
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

OUCH!

Yep. That's the one. But (cough, cough) it looks like I got raped on the price! :twisted:

This worked great on both the outer and inner track rod ends. It didn't destroy the rubber boot. Nice tool.