Straighten tie rod?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Bruce Berger

Straighten tie rod?

Post by Bruce Berger »

Does anyone know of any good tricks for straightening a bent tie rod?

I bent it running Gold Mountain in Big Bear last Friday. The same rock also put a small dent in my heat exchanger and a hole in the muffler (to go along with the ones that were already there :D ).

Is there an effective way to straighten the tie rod or will I need to replace it?

BTW - If anyone is wondering about the aluminium panel, it's the chin plate for the bumper I got from Andre off of the Croatia trophy truck.

http://www.oausa.net/forums/download/file.php?id=1398
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
Foz

Post by Foz »

Ya I did that... suggest you cut it off replace with a straight one. Such cost me about $75 as I recall... why mess around with a wonky steering component?
Foz
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I cheat. I use a hydralic jack against the peak of the bent tie rod and press it back to straight. no heat needed. you can also remove it and take it down to a shop with a good bearing press and they can get it straight.
If this is done to many times. then it would be wise to follow the previous suggestion.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I just bent mine at the Treffen here in Wis.

I used a harbor freight tubing bender. The big orange one they sell with the jack in it. Worked excellently. I did have to remove it from the truck. The new OTC tie rod tool worked great. Someone posted it on here for 45$, (which was way less than I paid).

I saw no sense in buying a new one, unless this subsequently fails...

Paul
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

you could have done it without removing it from the truck if you could rotate it into position to still use the ram. I have used a porta power and a shot of chain or heavy duty ratchet strap and done the same thing.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Bruce Berger

Post by Bruce Berger »

I've been looking for an excuse to get a press. Now I have one :D
Thanks for the input.
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Bruce, Saw your youtube uploads looks nice I like your bumper. Are you running EFI know?
Bruce Berger

Post by Bruce Berger »

Unfortunately I still don't have the EFI installed. I've been working on it but progress has been slow. I built up a panel to mount behind the driver's seat with the EFI computer, wiring blocks, relays, and fuses. I also have the wiring harness installed The next step will be to terminate the wires with the correct connectors for the sensors.

As you may have noticed from the YouTube videos, I also need a new muffler which will go on as part of the EFI upgrade.

Currently, I'm shooting to have the EFI installed before the Calico Mogfest in October.
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i