paint additive provides insulation

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

ka

paint additive provides insulation

Post by ka »

1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Do you think it could be mixed in with automotive paint?
ka

Post by ka »

yeah - it's inert ceramic beads (bubbles). i'm gonna try some.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Post by yaknowthatguy »

This is surprisingly effective stuff.

I have a cargo container at work packed with supplies that must stay outside. Mind you, winter gets to -40F, -50F at times. We painted the outside with this paint and it works pretty well.

inside the container we have a couple of 480V heaters, and they don't run nonstop as you may expect. This container stays around 40F in the winter, and the only insulation on it is the paint.

I know people who have painted other vehicles interiors with it, and found it to be very effective as well. Might be worth a shot for our pinzies too.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I volunteer at Palomar Observatory and have always marveled at how cool the outside of the big dome is after baking in the hot sun all day (it is 3/8" steel plate). After hours in the sun the dome is still cool to the touch. They use Enducryl White paint from Colorama; it is a direct to metal latex paint. It is not an isulating paint, but it does reflect the infrared heat very effectively; so it will help keep things cooler, but won't help keep things warmer.

When I get around to repainting my W box I plan to use this paint at least on the top to help keep things cooler within.

Jim M.
ka

Post by ka »

jim - THAT is some data i've been looking for. ir reflection is key. adding that insulation would be quite the ticket for a vehicle.
1973 710m