Uh-oh moment

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

loyalp
United States of America

Uh-oh moment

Post by loyalp »

So, I'm starting from a dead stop at a stop light on a slight incline. I've about 700 lbs of concrete mix, gravel, and assorted stuff from Home Depot in the back. Start out in 1st gear with no problem, and go to shift but the shifter knob actually comes off in my hand and there's some gear grinding which doesn't seem right since it should be somewhere around neutral when the shift knob came off in my hand...

So, I seem to still have gears R, 1, 2, and 3; but 4 and 5 have completely disappeared on me. Well, they might be there, but I cannot shift into them.

Am I lucky and this is just a weird linkage problem? (I'm thinking not.) Or, did I just experience my tranny giving up on me?
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

I had a similar problem while driving the 712 home.

Under the truck, where the bottom of the shift lever meets the tubular assembly that takes the action back to the transmission, there is a pin tying the two together. A small roll pin holds the larger pin in place. The roll pin was missing, and the larger pin slid 1/2 way out making any meaningful shifting difficult.

The junction I am describing is right above the steering linkage.

If not there, have someone sit inside and wiggle the shifter while you trace back any suspect movements. Hopefully it is nothing internal!

-Evan
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

I did notice a pin that seemed to be about halfway out down there in that assembly when I took a quick look while parked on the shoulder. I'll have another look when things cool-off a bit tonight.

Thanks.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Look at the short dogbone shifter link at the trans, it can pop off when worn resulting in lack of range access. If it is internal, I can fix it 8)
Give me a call if you need quick answers :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Jim LaGuardia wrote: If it is internal, I can fix it 8)
Give me a call if you need quick answers :wink:
Yep - Jim is the "tranny man." He did not get that nickname because of how he dresses! :P

-Evan