Question on painting/POR-15 on the driveline...

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

EvanH

Question on painting/POR-15 on the driveline...

Post by EvanH »

When painting or applying POR-15 to the driveline components, is there any reason to not do the mating surfaces between the components? I realize the coating would have to be flat...so that the surfaces will be fluid tight with gasket cement...but I would think that the few thousandths of an inch added would not cause any misalingment problems. Obvously, adding thinckness to something that fits tightly inside something else would cause problems.

No doubt there is something obvious I am missing! :D

-Evan
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Advise, if it already has paint, then it should be ok to re paint after removing old paint. Just remember, sealer and O rings work best against clean metal.
One last thing, ever try to scrape gasket sealer off of a painted surface :x
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

What Jim said.

Plus avoid painting anywhere your going to torque down bolts, as the paint will lift and pull some of the surounding paint with it. Better to leave bare metal at the bolts and paint over them after assembly is done.

Also I did paint all the frame members with Por15 (grey) followed with Chassis Coat (black), a lot of work to say the least. And I'm not sure I would do it again. If you use Chassis Coat in black a great touchup match is DupliColor Engine Enamel in Semi-Gloss Black.

It is a very durable finish when fully cured, just don't rush putting it back together, let the paint cure fully.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M