Unimog and Mil. Gwagen in Ca.

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Unimog and Mil. Gwagen in Ca.

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Re: Unimog and Mil. Gwagen in Ca.

Post by ExpeditionImports »

I like this little nugget on the related web page for the G-Wagons: "We will open up a salespoint in Southern California to accommodate the Californian buyer." What is not said in either LA Craigslist posting is none of these vehicles will be legal to be title and registered in the state of CA. At least not without a little creativity on the paperwork. Does not mean you can't drive them in CA you just can't title and register them in CA unless you want to do the CA EPA certification. Last time quoted was $10,000 per vehicle plus equipment calibration if the diesel engine screws up the machine. Yes you have to do each individual vehicle even if they are identical.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

sounds like a deal breaker for CA, other states maybe?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

They have been regularly posting various G's for sale on the Hemming Motor news website. I've been considering a G, so I've already seen about three online for sale by them. I like that these variants are diesel, also do not have the full upper door frame and have the folding windshield, unlike the Swiss Puch G's.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

I find the US attitude to foreign diesels a bit anti competitive - the US allows their own home grown crappy low powered (for engine size) dirty diesels but makes it almost impossible for modern foreign high powered, low emission diesels to be imported - might be able to done but most manufacturers think it is just too hard.

My Range Rover Sport diesel is not sold there but easily passes emissions here but my brothers Ford F250 7.2 litre diesel struggles. Maybe we should ban US diesels here.

Instantaneous emmisions may be higher in a diesel when compared to petrol (gas engines) but as the diesel only uses half the amount of fuel the actual pollutants emitted over a period of time is far less than a petrol engine.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Hey Scott, how creative does one have to get -- or can get?
This rig has me salivating -- a day driver :)

ron
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

In California is all about the paperwork. Have looked long and hard at this issue and unless you want to spend insane money as a dealer our hands are tied. Just look up CA VIN verification form (REG 31 (REV. 1/2012) and look at Box 8. Figure out how to fill that out and your golden. A little "white" lie will get you a $5000 fine per vehicle. Non-compliant VIN's automatically get kicked out.

You might get a title and registration initially but 30 days later you will also get a letter revoking your title and registration. That is usually when I get a phone call about how to fix it when they bought their truck from someone who said it could be done no problem. Some people just don't like it when they are told what they don't want to hear. An individual might get lucky and have one slid through but from the phone calls we get the success rate is not that high.

Anything is possible with money but try to find a testing lab that wants to run your diesel across there certification equipment. Hey it is only money.

Cheers,

Scott
Vallejo, California
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

rmel wrote:Hey Scott, how creative does one have to get -- or can get?
This rig has me salivating -- a day driver :)

ron
How about this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-G ... SS:CA:3160
Same issue but may be a nicer truck :?:
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Looks like we are starting to go into a different topic so I will start a new thread. Put it in General with title of Registering "Grey Market" car in California.

Cheers,

Scott
Vallejo, California