Sold Turbo Diesel Volvo TGB 6x6 For Sale

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
Leafsprung

Sold Turbo Diesel Volvo TGB 6x6 For Sale

Post by Leafsprung »

I have a very cool volvo TGB 6x6 that I have had for the last few years. With an upcoming move I think its time for it to find a new home. It has a crate 2.8TGV turbo diesel (brand new not rebuilt) mated to an NV4500 5 speed and dana T case with a warn overdrive. I bought it as a partially finished project and have made great strides in making it operational. There are a few things yet to do but the truck is totally operational and runs, drives, stops etc. It has great power and the engine runs flawlessly. I have a lot of nifty new parts for it including tires in great shape, nice new diesel gauges, a winch etc. Clean title. Id like 11.500 for it (the engine alone was 8500) Located in Eugene Oregon. Call or text 541-6o6-oo95,
Last edited by Leafsprung on Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Turbo Diesel Volvo TGB 6x6 For Sale

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Photos?

What was done with the automatic front axle engagement feature under heavy braking? How is the shifter(s) arranged now?

And that is the modified 300Tdi Land Rover engine?

What's a reasonable highway cruising speed?
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Leafsprung

Post by Leafsprung »

Will post some pics shortly. Shifter is in the stock location. No auto lock on front axle. The 2.8tgv is derived from the 300tdi but is not a modified 300tdi. I havent had it on the highway for extended periods. I have read that the limitation for volvo speed is the axles (maybe this is incorrect) Theoretically the gearing is 65mph at 2500 rpm (ratios are 7x.73x1x.75)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Is the overdrive engaged with a lever or is it a solenoid? Sorry for all the questions but this is unique, to say the least.

The 6x6 axles are geared lower than the 4x4's but this has little to do with what top speed you can sit at since this is apparently inputting very high gear ratios. It seems like you could sit at 70mph easily with this set-up, assuming the engine has enough power. Do you know the motor specs? I know the 300 pretty well, but not this engine. What do you do for parts? (Is it Brazil where they are from?)

Interesting rig. You might consider making a video of everything, and include some underside footage showing the mods and some driving around since there are a ton of non-standard things going on here.

Is this truck a hard top, 5 door, or does it have a big box on it?

What year?

Edit: Saw this listed
International HS 2.8L TGV (Variable Geometry Turbo)
Displacement :- 2,785 cc
Maximum power :- 135 bhp @ 3,800 rpm
Max governed rpm :- 4,000
Maximum torque :- 277 lbf ft @ 1,400 rpm

International HS 2.8L WG (Wastegate)
Displacement :- 2,785 cc
Maximum power :- 132 bhp @ 3,800 rpm
Max governed rpm :- 4,000
Maximum torque :- 262 lbf ft @ 1,600 rpm
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Leafsprung

Post by Leafsprung »

Vince

-OD has solenoid
-It has a wide range of ratios and has a deep crawl ratio as well as taller road gearing. If you say the axles are up to it - it should cruise along speedily.
-engine is very powerful and should have no trouble propelling it to highways speeds
-The TGV is sold in several markets and is used in a number of production vehicles and is a popular conversion for land rovers and land cruisers. ICON was using them for some of their conversions for a bit. There are several suppliers in the US/canada/europe/australia/south america that offer spares for these in addition to the parts in common from the 300 which most rover dealers cary (along with those volvo brake parts from the 109 6 cylinder land rover)
-This truck has a big box
287sds

Post by 287sds »

Would like to see some photo's, could be what I'm looking for
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Post by roobar_and_custard »

Hi Leafspring - sharing some photo's would be great. There are a few of us on this forum looking at 300Tdi conversions, and it would be nice to see some picks of a similar conversion - perhaps you could add this into a thread in "Modifications".

Cheers,
Ian
Leafsprung

Post by Leafsprung »

Here are a few pics I can take more and send via text to those that have expressed interest.
Attachments
IMG_9515.JPG
IMG_9515.JPG (99.62 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
IMG_9514.JPG
IMG_9514.JPG (119.19 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
IMG_9512.JPG
IMG_9512.JPG (104.04 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
IMG_3499.JPG
IMG_3499.JPG (97.73 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (72.08 KiB) Viewed 4337 times