1976 710M 5 cyl mereceds

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
TechMOGogy
Canada

1976 710M 5 cyl mereceds

Post by TechMOGogy »

I can't figure out the nose on this thing I think its just the rad sticking out?
For sale on the Unimog Exchange #64

72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: 1976 710M 5 cyl mereceds

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Hmm, what's the word to pops to mind here....

Not sure I've seen a more fragile cooling system before.

I wonder how those front springs are set up? Having owned a few of these engines, they are not the lightest hunk of iron out there.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Looks like the wheels are also deep dish type with a lot of offset. There were a couple of these done by the Pinzmeister in England a few years ago.

Would be interested in seeing more photos of it.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

here is the link and other info to save others the hassle of finding it

http://www.unimog.net/exchange/

FOR SALE
1976 Pinzgauer 710M diesel, rebuilt Mercedes 5-cylinder engine, manual transmission, restored chassis, 12V electrical system. Upgraded leather seats, titled, $17,500.
Colby Taylor Unobtanium@FLdiesel.com, 561-232-6267
Palm Beach, FL 33411, USA - Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 19:48 GMT.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

So... there's a fan back there somewhere pulling air which passes through (just part) of the radiator? If that's the stock radiator for the 617 engine, it needs a lot of air moving through every inch of it on longer grades and especially in hot weather. It's suppose to have an oil cooler just off to the side of the radiator as well. I can't imagine that engine working well without that stuff all in place. Maybe it's under there somewhere with another fan. ?

Back to the weight... how could that work? The 617 is at least 550 lbs with everything on it. Anybody know the Pinz motor's weight?

Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Interesting read from member "drednought" in the Diesel pinz section on his 5 cylinder MB conversion:

I have owned and driven, weekly if not daily, (20kms yesterday) a 1971 Pinz 710K that was converted by 'The pinzmeister'.........It uses, for simplicity and longevity, the OM602 5 cyl 2.4ltr normally aspirated engine.......Bad points, enormously big and heavy lump of metal, sloooow (90hp ???) (It also has the 5 speed dog-leg gearbox from the sprinter it was taken from .... ratio,s so bad that on hills I have become an adept 'twin stick' man.) Good points....always starts even in -30C and is very economical. (probably due to it's slow progress) but then I ask myself would I want the same 177BHP that I have in my Wrangler JK CRD.....in a much older and less stable vehicle with drum (albeit huge drums) braked vehicle. The Dog house has been re-worked considerably (but the Pinzmeister is clearly a meister when it comes to forming metal, my only issue has been that the dog house has to come off or almost, to change the oil filter) The sump pan is a Pinzmeister special and was re made to fit, no issues or worrying leaks there. If my OM602 ever goes terminal, then being in Poland I will probably try to find an 'Andoria 4C or 4CT90' (2.4 very sprightly(even Normall aspirated, Polish made diesel engine - have one in my UAZ 469b and would say it is better than any of the older Landrover Diesels (even the 2.5) If not then one of the VW diesels with less electronics will suffice. The front Springs will heave a sigh of relief. I would always try to go for a lighter engine or put new front springs in.....I saw those Yanmar/Kubota Jeep conversion vids on YT.....I have a Yanmar tractor and have been very impressed with how it punches above its weight and did wonder (with my useage, no motorways and few fast roads) So I have wondered if a small turbo diesel engine might be the way to go? I,m sure my pinz would not be so 'twitchy' with all that weight off the front. Edit: The only problems I have had, have been with cooling.....Poland cold?? nope 30C here in summer.....I had to add a supplementary radiator to keep things happy, in UK the Pinz was fine with Pinzmeisters set up.....did 200miles in one day all motorway, no problems. I should have had a 2 row radiator made or an enormously powerful fan.....I think the problem really is that the little air tunnel can not shift enough air away from the radiator.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Engine cooling can be deceptively complex. I doubt this particular set-up would be very reliable, no offense to the builder but, Mercedes added an oil cooler to all 617's (300D, 300SD/GD) for a reason.

The Volvo 303 has some issues when it comes to converting the motor too. Engineering tests showed the opening couldn't support much more hp. Having a custom, double thick radiator built with two large electric fans was one solution but you can only take it so far without adding some other system, oil cooler, etc..

Mod'ed rigs like that scare me too much to take anywhere serious.