Looking to buy 710K- anybody know this one?

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
AdamH

Looking to buy 710K- anybody know this one?

Post by AdamH »

Hi, I've been looking for a 710K. I saw this one on craigslist. Does anyone know this one?

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/6117516047.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aul1uFyxaWI&t=79s
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Looking to buy 710K- anybody know this one?

Post by audiocontr »

Why a K?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

audiocontr wrote:Why a K?
:!: Why not a K?

Maybe he wants to be able to lock it. Maybe he doesn't want to have to crawl into the back from the rear door. Maybe he likes being able to jump in through a side door. Maybe he likes the forward-facing rear seats. Maybe he hates convertibles. Maybe he already owns an M?

Maybe he just likes them?
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
AdamH

Post by AdamH »

Yeah, why not a K? Is there something I'm missing.
I think the Ks are cool.
This one seems like its been for sale for a long time, wondering what's wrong with it.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a K, nor a 710 or 712... it's all about personal choices and needs.

I have my preferences, but that doesn't mean krap for the next person.

If you were on the fence, then a list of pros vs cons of each would be in order
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Calm down folks, my question was leading... I wanted to understand why he wanted a K, and what he intended to do with it. Different use cases lead to different suggestions of what to look for in a new purchase.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
AdamH

Post by AdamH »

So I'm not looking for major offloading. Just a fun hobby vehicle I can take the kids to the beach or camping or occasionally to work.
I'm in the NorthEast, so having a hardtop would work better with snow and cold.
I plan on redoing the interior to make it more comfortable- as in insulation and maybe better seats.
I'm basically looking for something that is in solid working order so far as brakes, drivetrain, and electrics.
This one, so far as I know, came from Texas and was previously completely covered in red/orange/ bedliner.
This is a video from before it was painted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTE6tRNRdk0

I also know the axel boots are totally shot- like falling apart and crumbling shot. Curious what long term damage would be possible if it were in a super dusty or muddy area without axel boots on?

I also found this one for sale in Wisconsin:
(The first one on the page)
http://buypinzgauer.com/pinzgauer-710k-7/
It seems to be slightly different than the 'usual' Pinzes around- No roof hatch/ fuses instead of breakers, etc.

I know this is a small community in the states: these things probably get around and might be familiar.

thanks for and help and info!
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Understood on the snow. A K is awesome for the snow! The K you're looking at is missing the heater... you want a heater!!

Do keep this in mind - Salt will tear these trucks apart! I highly recommend not driving in a salted road environment like the North East. Even towing over salted roads will quickly lead to rust, especially for a truck that is used to a dry climate. To be fair, it may have exposed areas that will rust once applied to standard north east humidity.

I'd caution a K in the heat... they get WARM! That drive train heats up the floor, the floor the cabin. Then again, an air conditioner could make for a great truck! I prefer my Ms for the beach as part of the fun is cruising, and looking out the sides of the soft top. The breeze makes all of the difference.

How many folks do you plan on hauling?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Adam,

Bad boots could result in crap getting into the differentials. Here's an example: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9452 or viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7428
Those are extreme examples, but it's important to maintain the truck or you can run into expensive repairs. On a truck with bad boots, you might want to drain the diffs and see what comes out.

The Pinzes in Wisconsin are from Bob Rainek. I met him back in '02, IIRC, and transported a trailer from CO to WI for him. Seemed to be an interesting sort of fellow, although I've not had much contact since then. He doesn't frequent this forum much. From seeing various things he's had for sale over the years, it appears that he is involved in a slew of interesting endeavors. I seem to recall some guys reporting difficulty contacting him from time to time. But he and his Pinzgauers have been a longtime presence here in Wis. I'm not familiar with any of his individual trucks however. From memory, it seems like that last diesel one was last seen advertised for sale in Florida?
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

I would recommend a test drive to get to know the vehicles and their particular pros/cons before buying one. You are talking about a 40 year old military truck...
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Texas710 wrote:I would recommend a test drive to get to know the vehicles and their particular pros/cons before buying one. You are talking about a 40 year old military truck...
While i agree completely... I have not had the pleasure of test driving any of the 5 Steyr vehicles I've owned. I've come to realize that we all have varying levels of what we accept, and what keeps us up at night. Its more a management of expectations as far as I'm concerned... Yes, its a 40 year old truck. Yes it will leak, yes parts are worn out, yes it shakes and vibrates, and runs rough, and smells funny.... Thats all part of the fun.

I would suggest buying from a known member of the community, or in an area where someone from the community will take a look at the truck for you, when possible.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
AdamH

Post by AdamH »

Thanks for the talk-though everyone.
The one in CA got sold before I could make a decision, and I decide against the one in Wisconsin.

Does anyone have another lead on a 710k? (I'd consider a 712k, but those are over my budget and hard to come across)
vwnatas

Post by vwnatas »

I may be selling my 710k soon .. It is currently at Goatwerks with the west coast pinz guru Jim Laguardia. Been getting all kinds of love. New motor mounts, carbs rebuilt and synced, new axel boots, new windsheild, clutch slave cylinder, brake booster fixed, changed bad breakers, front wheel seals, new brake pads, flex pipe mod. Its been at Jims for nearly a year getting a little bit a time. The last thing to do will be diffs , and tranny fluid flush. Then she will be good to go.
You gotta be tough if your gonna be stupid.
AdamH

Post by AdamH »

Sounds awesome.
Do you have any pics?
When do you think it would be out of the Goatwerks? I may actually be in Las Vegas soon and would love to take a look.
vwnatas wrote:I may be selling my 710k soon .. It is currently at Goatwerks with the west coast pinz guru Jim Laguardia. Been getting all kinds of love. New motor mounts, carbs rebuilt and synced, new axel boots, new windsheild, clutch slave cylinder, brake booster fixed, changed bad breakers, front wheel seals, new brake pads, flex pipe mod. Its been at Jims for nearly a year getting a little bit a time. The last thing to do will be diffs , and tranny fluid flush. Then she will be good to go.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

+1 for Jim L and his work!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker