Looking for 712 or maybe halfy

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
Jimmy

Looking for 712 or maybe halfy

Post by Jimmy »

I am traveling to Colorado Springs & Salida and am wondering if somebody has a good 712 or Halfy in the area? It has to be good enough to drive back to North Carolina.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Re: Looking for 712 or maybe halfy

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Sorry for the blunt reply, pal, but have you ever driven any of these vehicles ?

A 712k is usually capable of doing an average of 60 to 70 km /h, so your intended trip will take about a week.
doing the same distance in a Hafi (short for Haflinger, there is nothing half !)will give you blisters on your backside ...
you will need a trailer

but bear in mind, these wonderful creations were designed to go offroad, not to cover long distances on flat concrete or tarmac

So may I suggest you make yourself familiar with them in their designed environment, decide which one attracts you most, and find a way to get the prey home safely !
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I have a 710 and some time to kill. It is either drive a 712 or whatever you insist I call the other one or fly commercial. I really do not like to fly commercial.
Jim Chance
710M

All my post fully incorporate the Dunning-Kruger effect
nelsonamen

Post by nelsonamen »

Jimmy - - this was in Salida during my April visit - - - - on highway 50 about 1/2 way to Poncha Springs

Nelson
Attachments
IMG_4253.JPG
IMG_4253.JPG (145.6 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
IMG_4250.JPG
IMG_4250.JPG (155.74 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
IMG_4251.JPG
IMG_4251.JPG (114.14 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

So my American geography is sketchy but the fact someone says it would take a week in a Pinzgauer means it would be nearer two weeks driving a Haflinger AND that depends on which Haflinger you are in! I am all for it - just go in with your eyes open as to what you are letting yourself in for!

There are several different speed versions and none of them will actually cruise long distance at the MAX speed stated on the gearing plates. The latest version (with high speed hubs) has a stated top speed of 47mph. You'll be doing well to get an average speed of 38 mph over a long distance, a) your bum will get numb, b) you'll go deaf, c) you'll have to go by back routes no Interstates as the engine won't like you if you have it running at full throttle for hours on end. The earlier one can be a low as MAX 30 mph so your average is going to be even less. On a good road with few hills and few traffic lights (reasons to slow down) I have managed about 30 mpg, but normally you are getting the high teens to low 20's

Then there's the service intervals - main oil change is every 1200 miles, you might not have to do one whilst you on the trip but when I drive mine I try to do an oil change just before the trip and if It going to involve lots of non-stop higher speed stretches on the route I would plan to change the oil at about half the standard service interval. Don't forget all the grease points which will need attention as well.
It also would be a good idea to have either 13 inch or 14 inch Fiat / Lancia / Lada / Alfa Romeo rims and standard modern road tyres as the original 12 inch ones with either Semprit or Mayola tyres do not have the best road manners!

John
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Why two accounts?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I saw this 710 when. I was in Salida a while back, but already have a 710. I did not drive it or really do an inspection but it looked nice. But in any case I have a 710.and want something different. I can leave whatever in Salida and get it later with my trailer, but do not want to have to work on it much until I get home, and I may drive it back. Halfinge R I will probably leave, 712, drive.
Jim Chance
710M

JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Not sure how it got this way, but my iPad and PC have different user names. Just noticed it myself.
Jim Chance
710M

JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

John,

Thanks for all the info on the Haflinger. I know next nothing about them but want one. Sounds like it will definitely be one for trailering.i had Dodge Power Wagons so I consider the Pinz a speed demon, but it sounds like baby brother is slow.
Jim Chance
710M