718 anyone

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
Brady 712k
United States of America

718 anyone

Post by Brady 712k »

VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: 718 anyone

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Well that's a rare one
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Overpriced expectations. It's rare, but it's hacked.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

audiocontr wrote:Overpriced expectations. It's rare, but it's hacked.
I don't get where you're calling it "hacked". :? disturbing is the lack of interior photos, especially after the seller boast of improvements. Overpriced..? I think it may be borderline without further photo support and information of the build. As a flat number, less that 6000 TDs were made by SDP in Austria to 2000

Though not original, the truck was manufactured as a “T” for the amb body and with the hardtop over the cab to the bulkhead would have been original. From the bulkhead back are 712M components… side and back boards and rear door and canvas (some dimensions are the same between gas and TDs :wink: ). If you're an original fanatic, probably not the best 718M in the US, but from the pics, still a nice looking truck

I’d wonder if the truck still has the original P80 radiator. The P90s got a larger radiator long before the TDs got an innercooler. I would assume they left the add-on innercooler on the side behind the battery box. I didn’t see any mention of it moved to behind the updated grille.

The front bumpers are aftermarket manufactured, not original. Also, the doghouse insulating blanket is in one pic, but none of the rest.... you can fry eggs on the doghouse in the 2.4TDs. :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I'd have concerns with the quality of the conversion, especially the transmission, at such a premium. Yes, the lack of interior pics on the rear also fueled my comments.

How many miles are on the auto transmission? Where did it come from?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The truck was originally an auto trans (from the VIN) and someone supposedly did "upgrades" to the trans. Buzz words and flash to try and impress a buyer... I have my guesses to why they added an external trans cooler and did other work. Back in around '03 I had emails with a P80 owner with a 'slush' box :wink: , he complained that it was very sluggish.
The P90s also got a larger radiator that the core was as large as the entire P80's radiator, hence the larger cover.

The finite number of 716s and 718s drive the market, and US laws restrict that number even further
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
CostaFabrications
United States of America

Post by CostaFabrications »

audiocontr wrote:Overpriced expectations. It's rare, but it's hacked.

I find it funny you run your mouth on something you've never seen in person...AKA my 718.

I don't have overpriced expectations. Its priced over current market value in the U.S. at $68,500.00 because of condition, rarity, accessories and new parts. If you don't like the price than ask the major importers of these to lower their prices. I called them all when I was looking for one to buy and was quoted 50-65k "if they could find one". And there was no guarantee on condition...may need tires, batteries and so on..... I waited 2 months then found one myself and imported it. The director of SGB All Terrain ltd recently contacted me after seeing the truck on Instagram and kindly shared the trucks history as they were the original importer of the truck from Austria to the U.K. And did most of the modifications. the truck runs and drives better than ANY pinz I'm sure you have ever driven in. And I've driven in about twelve personally here. though not Td's.

The interior cab is in excellent shape and there are a couple quick pics. I'll post more later. And the bed is perfect as its practically new. though I'm in the middle of finishing the mounting of the fridges and stove while contemplating other things. That's why I didn't post Pics yet. I threw it up on ebay just to see what the response would be.. I don't care if it sells... Is it Rare yes. Is it original no. Its better equipped than it was originally in my opinion. A turbo motor should be intercooled. Is it for a purist... maybe not. Is it "hacked" I don't believe so.....

Its funny people don't blink an eye at the grossly overpriced landrovers .....75-150k+ for a far inferior vehicle to a diesel pinz in almost every single regard. those 100k dollar S boxes sure look the part but every trip is a crap shoot whether or not you'll make it home under your own power or on the back of a flat bed....

But I guess I'm a jerk for pricing a truck 3500.00 over current quoted market value..... the dog house cover is off cause it was dirty and I'm probably going to make something better that blocks heat using modern materials. for what its worth I drove the truck over an hour straight down the highway at 70 and it got warm at best...

Also I've been building vehicle's of all kinds for over 20 years. I'm a self employed custom fabricator/certified welder. If you want to see a small collection of some various works go on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/costafabrications/

If anyone serious wants more info or pics feel free to pm.

Rich
CostaFabrications
United States of America

And yes I believe the radiator is the p93 ill find out. the intercooler is up front in the grill..

Cheers

Rich
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Sound or acoustical, heat-resistant blankets are what is used in commercial applications much of the time. When I used to ride on firetrucks, our older (1980's) American LaFrance models were retro-fitted with acoustic blankets over the massive alum diamond-plate doghouses and it made a world of difference in safety and overall comfort, which go hand in hand. The newer models come with them installed at the factory.

You could modify one of these yourself, or have a heavy sewing shop fit it custom. The 13 model looks ideal. I'd bet they could send a custom size.
https://acousticalsolutions.com/product ... -blankets/

CostaFabrications
United States of America

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:Sound or acoustical, heat-resistant blankets are what is used in commercial applications much of the time. When I used to ride on firetrucks, our older (1980's) American LaFrance models were retro-fitted with acoustic blankets over the massive alum diamond-plate doghouses and it made a world of difference in safety and overall comfort, which go hand in hand. The newer models come with them installed at the factory.

You could modify one of these yourself, or have a heavy sewing shop fit it custom. The 13 model looks ideal. I'd bet they could send a custom size.
https://acousticalsolutions.com/product ... -blankets/
Thanks I have a custom tailor that sews my heavy canvas bags.. ill see if she can handle that. thanks for the link..

you still want a 716k? one was just offered to me. its Beautiful! Fully kitted. its currently in Europe.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I'm always looking, but mostly to bring in for someone else, unfortunately. I can't afford one even if I sold my Gwagen, unless some crazy deal came along but most in that price range are rust or mechanical nightmares.

I have had a recent offer as well (might be the same truck!) but the euro guys are asking insane prices lately because they think US guys will pay for it, which is not quite true unless maybe they wait it out... maybe. The exchange rate is getting really bad on top of that.

One recently came up that was $28K, which was a little high for what it was, but it sold in Europe after a few months and the next guy who bought it fixed a few things, and then emailed me a year later asking $39K! A '92 or older Pinz in Europe in that price range better be like new.

audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

audiocontr wrote:I'd have concerns with the quality of the conversion, especially the transmission, at such a premium. Yes, the lack of interior pics on the rear also fueled my comments.

How many miles are on the auto transmission? Where did it come from?
I misread the ad. I read it as a manual to auto conversion, so I'll downgrade "hacked" to "modified"
:mrgreen:
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder