Heat Exchanger - ceramic coated, 2 connection

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
Bumber

Heat Exchanger - ceramic coated, 2 connection

Post by Bumber »

I have a heat exchanger for sale that is freshly ceramic coated. Hard to photo because
it is a reflective silver.

My specialty coating guy prepped and ceramic coated this one silver, like a new one.
Right now it's a little bit shiny silver, but he tells me with time and weather it will dull a little bit.

The good: It is in perfect working condition. The interior fins are clean, having just been polished,
and the ceramic coating will outperform any normally painted heat exchanger.

The bad: Before this refurbishment it was pretty rusted up. There is some mottling in a few places,
but all the rust was removed and the ceramic coat should prevent any further rust. Also, the
understudy of my ceramic coat guy missed the fact that there were some small holes after the rust
was removed so they weren't welded up. Instead of trying to remove ceramic coating and weld,
I used a special putty to cover the holes. They were about 1 mm x 7 mm near the bolt end,
2mm x 2mm on the top, and another couple small 2mm x 2 mm holes at the end on the top.
The patches are on the top and inside, so they should not be visible when installed.

IF you could find one, a used one would cost $650 and a "new" one $1100 plus shipping. I think this one
is worth $950 including shipping to the continental U.S.

The bad:

BEFORE (after ceramic coating, but before patch)

AFTER

Last edited by Bumber on Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: Heat Exchanger - ceramic coated, 2 connection

Post by Haf-e »

So - did you open up the tin completely to "polish" the fins? Is it ceramic coated on the inside and outside of the tin?

I've considered doing this to my exchanger and so I am curious what the process is that was used.

Thanks.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Bumber

Post by Bumber »

No ceramic coating on the inside. You want the heat to easily transfer between fins and air, but remain inside the exchanger. My powder coat/ceramic guy has a big machine that looks like a big bin with white beads in it. It vibrates the parts in it. The beads fill up everything and vibrate a fine polish to all surfaces. After the ceramic coating he put it in there to finish it up and gloss up the ceramic coat. It was a PIA to get them all out of the inside. lol Lots of shaking and tapping until they all fell out. The inside looks like something that has been sandblasted or acid etched ... it has a dull, soft, almost dusty non-rusted appearance. The core is aluminum and I thought about cutting off the cover and reworking it, but I would have so much time and money into it with no real advantage over the current condition, that it just didn't seem worth it.
Last edited by Bumber on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bumber

Post by Bumber »

I also put new studs in it for the hangar. :)
Bumber

Post by Bumber »

Hard to picture the inside:

VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

You are trying to link forum posts as an image. That isn't going to work. You need the address to end in .jpg to link it. Or save the pics and load them here instead.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Bumber

Post by Bumber »

NOTE: I had forgotten about this heat exchanger until my friend called me.
He said someone was looking for one? It might have been on another 4x4 forum.

I still have it. It is in better condition than almost any you will find.
Flexible on price because it's just sitting in storage.
I'm not sure who was looking for one, but if you e-mail me at
BIKE39 at PRODIGY dot NET the message will get to me.

(Was that e-mail address - anti-webcrawler code hard enough to understand. :)