HELP Missing Screw for Axle Boot

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
lifefloat
United States of America

HELP Missing Screw for Axle Boot

Post by lifefloat »

If anyone can assist me with this problem I've created I sure would appreciate it.

In the process of replacing an axle boot on my 712 I somehow lost the "special" screw that fits in the clamp for the boot.

I work on my truck in the dirt basically. Big wide open field. It's kinda nice except when it rains or a fire ant bites you or you drop something in the grass/dirt and can't find it. I have no garage. Someday I will. Until then, I'm in the dirt with no major complaints.

If anyone in the community here has a spare screw for the special little clamp employed on the axle boot I would love to get that from you.

It could just be put in an envelope with a stamp and off it goes to a worthy cause. I can most certainly compensate you for your time and effort in this action.

Thanks for reading this and if you can assist...…………………….I would certainly appreciate it.

Scott
rmel
United States of America

Re: HELP Missing Screw for Axle Boot

Post by rmel »

You could make one. I don't remember the size, but it's no bigger than a M5 shoulder bolt.
https://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_should ... read).aspx

The shoulder to clamp up against. Assuming it's M5, then all you need is get a M5 screw
to the same length then place a blind spacer of the same length as the shoulder on the M5 screw.
Won't look pretty but will work. A decent hardware store should have all you need. Or Bolt Depot.
You might be able to get away with SAE Hardware too.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
heleto
United States of America

Post by heleto »

Scott, are you talking about one of the four bolts that clamp the split axle boots? If so, Expedition Imports should be able to help you. I notice that split axle boots are sold with and without hardware. The difference is only couple of dollars. So, the price should be decent too.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

m15256
United States of America

Post by m15256 »

If you're going to work in the grass or gravel or dirt buy a magnet. Buy a BIG magnet. I have one for the job site that's a flat plate on an axle between two lawn mower size wheels. Handy for finding tiny shouldered fine thread Stromberg carburetor screws that leap out of your fingers trying to escape into the grass.
You can also save yourself headaches by parking over a tarp. Put plywood over or under it. Yeah, I don't have a garage either and I've learned my lesson the hard way.
Good luck, Rick
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

Thanks everyone for the multitude of replies to my dilemma.

I lost the screw that is on the clamp. There are two clamps. One large clamp and one small clamp.

It is stainless steel this clamp. As is the screw. So no magnet is gonna find this thing for me. Trust me I thought of this already. In fact I even tested the one screw I didn't lose to see if it had any magnetic properties whatsoever. None. Nada. Zip.

The four screws that complete the split boot are available from SAV or could be fabricated. But that is not what I'm looking for.

The screw that tightens the ring clamp together is what I need. I could go the hardware store and get something that is close...…..but the screw I am missing has a very unique collar at the screw head. If you look at the clamp I'm talking about you'll see what I mean.

My hopes are someone who reads this has a spare clamp laying around as a "just in case I need this someday" item and is willing to then pop this tiny little item in an envelope and send it off to its new home. It's asking a lot in these weird times we are in as a nation but I thought I'd give it a shot. If you want to send fresh vegetables, dried fruit, or milk instead I'll take those too. Just kidding. We're fine down here in the Florida Keys. So far. Hope everyone else on this forum is doing well also.

Scott
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

It looks like S-Tec has this part in stock but if anyone on this continent (North America) has this laying around and can part with it, that would be great!

Once again, I just need the screw. Not the entire clamp or turnbuckle.

https://www.puch.at/en/spare-parts/pinz ... spx?LNG=en
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Is this what you're looking for?
IMG_6940.jpeg
IMG_6940.jpeg (251.85 KiB) Viewed 4458 times
IMG_6941.jpeg
IMG_6941.jpeg (147.26 KiB) Viewed 4458 times
IMG_6943.jpeg
IMG_6943.jpeg (163.9 KiB) Viewed 4458 times
You could probably use this type of screw also. Available from McMaster.com and likely Fastenal also.
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 6.36.34 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 6.36.34 PM.jpg (471.17 KiB) Viewed 4458 times
Or I can remove the screw/bolt on my old clamp and mail it to you. PM me with your address.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

pcolette…….………...awesome...……...PM sent
Tjerk
South Africa

Post by Tjerk »

"..but the screw I am missing has a very unique collar at the screw head"
Its only purpose is to prevent a screwdriver from slipping out of the slot; a screw with a washer will do.
lifefloat
United States of America

Post by lifefloat »

Tjerk………..…...thanks for the input on this topic. I think the design engineers for this vehicle were amazing. Sometimes I ask myself "why did they do that?" though. The screws on these clamps were one of those moments.

For the most part, I do my best to play by the design envisioned by the original engineers. Yes...…….there is always room for improvement on ANYTHING. For the time when these were designed though...…..I think they hit a homerun.