PinzFDS now available

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
pinzinator

PinzFDS now available

Post by pinzinator »

The Pinzgauer Fuel Delivery System is now available to buy. This kit comes completely assembled and ready to bolt in where your current mechanical fuel pump is located. This isn't just a fuel pump, as it also includes an adjustable pressure regulator and inertia switch. With the free pressure gauge you can dial in the recommended fuel pressure in only minutes. All hardware, hoses, and fittings are included. Installation takes an hour.
With this system you don't have to crank the engine to build up fuel pressure. Just turn on the key and listen for the pump to slow down, then crank for quicker and easier starts. Most Pinzgauer owners have no idea what kind of pressure their outdated mechanical pump is producing, this delivery system gives perfect results every time. It runs on 24 volts, which picks up the feed at a fuel stop solenoid. Each carburetor has its own fuel line.
I have had this system on my Pinzgauer for 7 years without a bit of trouble. Order yours today for $435 delivered within the USA. Sorry, no International sales at this time due to shipping problems. PM me for purchase details and questions.
Note- the fuel pump and pressure regulator are transposed in the engine photo. Our engineering department moved the pump to the middle position for better clearance and easier installation. The inertia switch opens the power feed on impact, not when submerged.
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg (133.69 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg (137.2 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg (119.72 KiB) Viewed 5654 times
IMG_00080.jpg
IMG_00080.jpg (121.36 KiB) Viewed 5648 times
Texas710
United States of America

Re: PinzFDS now available

Post by Texas710 »

A modification I have wanted to do for a long time. I may have to be a guinea pig on this. Sending PM
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Looks great!
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Pfff...pinzgauers are driving 40+ years on there mechanicle fuelpumps so why would you change it...it yust comes down to maintanance or a overhaule and your mech. Pump is ready for an other 40+ years :roll:
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Agreed. Why add so much complexity over the original system? Is it just "quicker and easier starts" as the OP wrote? Mine starts up in a few seconds as is with the original engine-driven pump.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

ChickenPinz wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:41 pm Agreed. Why add so much complexity over the original system? Is it just "quicker and easier starts" as the OP wrote? Mine starts up in a few seconds as is with the original engine-driven pump.
You must drive yours relatively often. Not all of us do and if the Pinz sits for 2 or more weeks the gas drains back to the tank and evaporates from the carbs. The cranking time then becomes excessive in order to fill the carbs.
It all depends on your personal usage. I drive mine infrequently so I'll likely order a system.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Fair point.

As a test, mine's been sitting unstarted for two months and I just went out to start it. 18 seconds until it kicked off, and that was without any accelerator pedal pumping which might speed the process. Now I need to wait a few weeks (months?) until I can try again.

FWIW, I try to start the engine and let it reach operating temperature on a short drive at least every few weeks. Clearly I failed that goal here recently. ;)
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I would also imagine that the condition of the diaphrams (sp) in the fuel pump affect the time it takes. It sounds like yours are in good shape if 18 seconds is the elapsed time. I haven't timed mine but sense that it is closer to 30 seconds. It may be time to rebuild my fuel pump.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

My fuel pump is recently rebuilt by my hands.
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

This has always been my issue. I don't drive the truck daily, or even weekly. I would say, I average 20-30 seconds of cranking to get the carbs full/start the truck. Once the carbs are full, the trucks starts easily.

It's not really an issue, I just feel bad for the old girl to have to crank so much. The mechanical pump works, yes, but I am willing to try something new to see if I can improve the performance.

The nice thing, you can always put the mechanical one back in if you like stock or it doesn't improve the truck like you thought. These modifications are not permanent.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

If you drive the Pinz daily or even weekly, the old pump works fine and you'll probably never notice the need.

If not, this is a great solution, saving wear and tear on your starter and probably your batteries too.

The PinzSSI improved my starting when the carbs were full. I think it is a great option to have an instant start no matter how long it's been sitting and not having to worry about starter motor on cycles and letting the starter cool down while filling the carbs.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Has anyone tried simply adding a checkvalve in the fuel line so it stays full and doesn't drain back to the tank? Seems like then you'd only need the time req'd to get the carb bowls up to a usable level for it to kick off.
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Pinzinator,
I sent you a PM but it's sitting in my outbox? No clue, but heads up, you should get something from paypal from me. I added my address in the note, send whenever you get back.

A check-valve wont solve the issue of evaporation from the carbs, plus, if your tubing is older or pinch clamps not 100%, you'll get some air leakage around the fittings. On the German pinz site, there is a write up on adding a "bulb" primer (like on outboard boat engines). Was looking into this option, seemed the easiest, but I really like the idea of turning the key and the pump doing it for me.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

I am giving this FDS kit a try (guinea pig mode here) and had a couple of questions that the directions don't cover. Sent a PM to Rick but he's apparently not near email.

1. Looking at the mounting area, it there the pump's tappet guide. I am presuming you leave this in place and mount the plate on top of it with the gasket underneath?

2. Next to the oil filter is a machined piece of the block that sticks up proud of the tappet guide. I am not far enough into the install yet, but it looks like it might to potentially interfere with the mounting plate sitting flat on the tappet guide in #1? If this "protrusion is not a on every Pinz then I need to modify the PinzFDS plate to fit around it and get the plate flat (and to seal the old tappet guide mount). This machined part on my Pinz seems to sit higher, or looks that way, in the photos on others I have found.

3. My existing fuel pump is mounted on studs (presumably everyone's is), the kit supplies bolts to replace the studs. Any issues with just mounting the new plate on the existing studs? I'd prefer not to have to monkey with pulling studs that could well be loctited in, but will see if they back out easily using the jamb nut technique. They didn't budge.

4. The kit includes a new generic fuel filter and instructions on using it. The photos above show connection to the old fuel filter and mine has a filter just as the pics show in this thread. Why the need for a new fuel filter? I didn't and used the Pinz filter as in the photo above.

5. Getting traction on removing the motor lift bracket nuts (removing the lift bracket is a requirement for the install) is a challenge. You'll a very thin walled box or 1/4 drive socket for them (1/2" or 13mm) particularly the one by the oil filler neck. Although the kit suggests an hour install, pulling this bracket easily consumed that (and hunting for tools that could get in the spot). Yep, I am really slow.

Thanks for any info.

I have had a number of instances where the Austrian rehabs like mine are slightly different.
InkedIMG_4081_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_4081_LI.jpg (906.56 KiB) Viewed 5111 times
Last edited by djw on Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Talked to Rick over the weekend and finished the install. Ground the mounting slightly to fit the unit on the existing mechanical pump studs and adjusted the regulator to about 2.5psi. The hardest part of the install was getting the motor lift bracket off, but even that was not difficult if you had thin sockets or a 1/4" set to crack them loose.

Now it seems a shame to let the Pinz sit for a few weeks to let the fuel dry out to give it a start-from-stored test.

One point for update, mine kit came with a 100psi gauge for measuring fuel pump pressure, which is unusable for measuring < 3psi. This gauge was not even off the peg with that pressure. You need a 5psi gauge or possibly a 15psi gauge to set the regulator to somewhere between 2 and 3psi. You can get the right gauge around $10-$15 on amazon and elsewhere. This regulator can be adjusted between 1psi and 4psi max, so dialing the adjuster counter-clockwise about half the way puts you in the ballpark.

This is the gauge you want https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZGH24JQ and there is a 5psi version of it, but might be out of stock as I got the last one.

SOP for me: 1 hour job takes me about 2 days.
Last edited by djw on Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.