K and M Door Tops

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

K and M Door Tops

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

We now have new replacement door tops available for 710/712M and 710/712K models, supplied powder coated in Swiss Army Green.
krick3tt

Re: K and M Door Tops

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks. Those look really nice...and the price is? Shipping to this side of the pond? The colonies want to know.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

krick3tt wrote:Thanks. Those look really nice...and the price is? Shipping to this side of the pond? The colonies want to know.
Yes please.
I have never seen the 3rd gen door tops with drains at the front and rear of the window channel. But it does not apear these have them though, is this correct? or do they run in the pillar?
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

My passenger side has got a couple rust holes in it, so I would be interested too. How much, and can we get them without the PC?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

Prices are:- Front door tops £350.00GBP each, K rear door tops £300.00GBP each. They can be supplied in powder coat or bare metal if you want to paint them yourselves. They are not fitted for drains (patterns for my fabricators were early ones!) I will have to get quotes for shipping, I'll post when I have some figures.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Not to be funny but if you go to all the trouble and expense to make new tops would it not be best to use the newest design that fixes various issues like drainage and therefore rust?
Just my 2 cents
Cheers,
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

TechMOGogy wrote:Not to be funny but if you go to all the trouble and expense to make new tops would it not be best to use the newest design that fixes various issues like drainage and therefore rust?
Just my 2 cents
Cheers,
Probably did not have a later version to go from - I think it generally the rehabed models that have the window drains? The change (from my untrained eye on K model) is the bottom window channel has a hole in the bottom channel and short metal exit tube that the rubber hose fits on. The rubber hose runs to the bottom of the lower door (might have another hose routing hole inside a brace in the door bottom, I can't remember for sure) and it just sits inside the door bottom not fastened to anything. So there would need to be a change to the channel only and a pass-thru hole(s)?

The bottom part of the door has a corresponding hole in the top to let the rubber tube pass through. The rear K doors have a tiny vent outside at the bottom where the water drips out, but the vent may be in prior versions of the door bottom, dunno. Otherwise I am unsure of anything more than superficial differences. Not a major change to the big parts to my mind to rethink the bottom channel as a bolt-on option. The aft door on a K has no window drain anyway as the glass is fixed.
Attachments
rear.jpg
rear.jpg (12.67 KiB) Viewed 4250 times
front.jpg
front.jpg (12.37 KiB) Viewed 4250 times
Last edited by djw on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I agree with djw.
From what I have seen, and according to the parts diagram, only the bottom locking channel is different than the original. Someone with talent (not me) could drill a hole in the original channel and braze on a short tube to connect a drain hose. Than drill a hole thru the bottom of the door top and the top of the door bottom to snake the drain tube down thru the door.

It seems relatively simple or am I missing something :?:
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

You are not missing a thing. That would be the way to do it. I bought the extra deep window channels when I lived in WA hoping that they would solve the problem
of water getting in. If you are thinking of getting the deeper channels ...save your money. Drill the hole in yours and braze a short section of tube and drain it out.
It won't change anything about water getting in but you will have fun with the mod.

I drained mine out the side of the upper panel so that I could take the window off and not have to deal with the tube through the door bottom.

http://s400.beta.photobucket.com/user/m ... rt=3&o=116
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
bonefish635
Great Britain

Post by bonefish635 »

I found that water coming in from the windows was only a problem when the truck was parked up. I rigged up these covers which hook over the rain gutter and then bungee them in place. No more wet windows.
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG (72.02 KiB) Viewed 4229 times
Tony
1973 710K
2001 Landcruiser Amazon
2007 Range Rover Vogue (sold)
2001 Nissan Patrol GR 3.0TD (sold)
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

krick3tt wrote:
It won't change anything about water getting in but you will have fun with the mod.
Interesting. One of my projects this year was "fixing the hole(s) where the rain gets in", which included cleaning out these window drains and tubes, door drains, some weatherstripping, and some sealant here and there. And I don't have any leaks any more unless the rain is hugely wind driven.

Wonder why your window drains leak and mine seem to work ok? It's no u-boat in any respect, but the rain stays out.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Cause it is a different truck. ...anyway when it sits there is no problem cause I'm not usually in it so a little water is not an issue.
When traveling at mach 1 as all pinzies are wont to do, it comes in at the door glass and the water builds up at the back of the glass and flows
nicely down the inside of the door. I have learned to live with it ...and I am not in WA anymore so there is much less rain on a daily basis.

It's a 40 year old truck and it has issues. It even marks its territory in my drive way with its little dribbles.
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

Quotes for shipping to the States vary from £90-£120GBP for a pair of door tops depending on location.