710M sale

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: 710M sale

Post by TechMOGogy »

If I had someone do 1/2 the job you just did when I purchased my Pinz I would have been thrilled!
Looks like you have gone out of your way on this and provided a great service to any potential buyer and a huge service to the seller as well!
It is people like you that make this a great forum and makes SDP ownership a great family to be part of
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Todd

Post by Todd »

Thanks Chris. That is very helpful. I really appreciate you taking your time out to do that for me. If I were to buy the pinz do you think you could put me in touch with someone to make the repairs so it would be ready for the trip home when I flew in? Thanks again man I don't think there are many people out there who would have home about of there way like that or been as thorough.
Protoman333

Post by Protoman333 »

Todd, i could easily arrange for the work to be done. not an issue for me. we may have problems with the repair of the rear top, but you can always take that part off and store it in the back and then just do the repair back at your home (it disconnects from the front cab entirely and its very easy to do). my worry with the top is that the glue would need to thoroughly dry before getting on the highway and to drive it with the tear unrepaired is inviting disaster. when it come down closer to purchase time, should you decide to pull the trigger just let me know and we will proceed from there. the split axle boots, if in stock, can be acquired from SAV (www.swissarmyvehicles.com) and would be here in as little as a day or two because of their proximity to Tulsa (ship them to my house if you want and I can take them with me to the shop). and as a disclaimer, I’m not recommending any specific parts dealer, I’m just saying that Tulsa is very close to Fayetteville! ive ordered many things from them and had the part on my doorstep the next day, and thats with standard 3 day shipping snail mail.

i posted the information prior to your reply but did not see it on the forum...maybe I’m dreaming...either way it contains some additional information so i reposted it.

absolutely not an issue whatsoever; my pleasure, actually. I’d like to think that anyone in this online community would have done the same (and maybe even done a better job!)...I’ve experienced nothing but the best from members of this forum and can’t even begin to count the times its helped me; it’s my pleasure to give something back, however small the contribution. given its somewhat rarity, the Pinz that is, to say this forum is an incredible resource is an understatement. the guy with the Pinz for sale hadn’t even heard of it! oh, also...I had to drive all of 2.5 miles to see it!
a few things to add:
this Pinz was purchased locally (Tulsa) from a guy/dealer named Peter Parker, who imported it directly from auction - 2 at a time for the first part of his Pinz career. so, one owner, so to speak. I’ve spoke with Peter in the past and he definitely prided himself in selecting good quality rigs to import. to me, he was a little pricey (given that SAV is, for all practical purposes, right down the street) but the trucks he had were definitely nice. I don’t know what happen to him (I’m guessing crime fighting/hollywood took precedence? sorry, I had to say it!) but at one point in the early 2000's (2002?) he had an actual car lot on 41st and Sheridan (as if anyone knows wtf I’m talking about!) with around 8 - 10 Pinzi at the time I met him. I bought from Willy at SAV only because I wanted to establish a relationship with who I was ultimately going to be buying parts from.
I don’t know if I stated it or not, but this doesn’t appear to have ever been abused...much less stuck tit deep in the mud for a week somewhere in the woods.
all work, which I believe has been maintenance other than some add-on's, has been done locally at a place called "O’Brian auto performance". I’ve used him before. he has a history with land rovers/cruisers and was willing to work on the Pinz. I believe he’s done a few complete fluid flushes, installed the seatbelts in the back, put in two new batteries, put on brand new tires (they are all-terrain style, the kind that would be great in the snow if that makes any sense, didn’t note the brand but they couldn’t have more than a couple hundred miles and are wearing absolutely evenly), and may have done some work on the jerry can holder and/or replaced the jerry can (I wasn’t clear on what had been done on that). he also added a rear step to the back (not collapsible but it only hangs down a little - I would drag this on the rocks/ledges at the local trails I run so it may be something you like or hate...either way, it's done well) as well as hub steps in the front.
I didn’t say it, but I believe the front "canvas" is still in good condition...I only spoke of the small tear in the rear.
anyway, if I can think of more, I’ll let you know.
Chris
'73 710m
Todd

Post by Todd »

Any idea what the cost would be on the repairs? Do you think the price is right considering the repairs that it needs?
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Yup. Price is fair.

Plan on spending a couple grand on it in the next year and you won't be disappointed. Go in with an 11k max budget and you'll develop an ulcer.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Looks like it is now on ebay but only with a Buy It Now or Make an Offer.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Other-Makes-PINZ ... SS:CA:1123
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

It has optima batteries, but if I'm not mistaken, the yellow-top Optimas are deep-cycle and not starting batteries. I wonder how much that can effect how well it cranks over.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

The yellows are starting batteries as well. More than enough CCA's for any engine.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

This sort of relates to something I've been wondering lately. My Pinz came equipped with Bosch Silver 4EN which I believe is a rather high dollar AGM battery. I assume the Swiss must have put those in there new for the auction, but anyway, they are real small. I was considering replacing them with standard lead-acid 29 size batteries because I estimated that I could get maybe 50% more cranking amps altogether that way. I intend to use the same size lead-acids in my toolbox which I am converting to a second battery box as well anyway. Is this a dumb idea? What would be the advantages to keeping these AGM Bosch batteries as opposed to just getting bigger lead-acid batteries with way more amps?
Chris.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Sold see this thread for new owner
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8300
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Once you have enough cranking amps, more doesn't do you any good. The only things the larger wet cell batteries will do is give you LONGER cranking if it won't start for some reason, or give you more capacity for accessories when the engine is not running (lights, stereo, fridge, etc.).

It really depends on your whole set of needs.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

Ok, thanks, that being said, I will probably stick with these Bosch batteries then.
Chris.
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

To add a point, the RG (recombinant gas) or SLA (sealed lead acid) or AGM (absorbed glass matt) batteries have a lower internal resistance than flooded lead acid batteries, so are able to discharge or recharge faster, therefore they will crank your engine faster and that will encourage quicker starts. They also tolerate vibration better.
'76 710K