Expedition Pinzgauer 710K for sale

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
ako

Re: Expedition Pinzgauer 710K for sale

Post by ako »

Please keep posting your travel stories here though, even if they are in the 'other 4x4' section :wink:
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

I have been so heartened by the feedback and comments, both whilst owning my Pinzgauer and even now upon it's sale.

I'm sure many other Pinzgauer owners have at some point moved on to other vehicles for various reasons. I know the lucky ones simply add to their collection, but I have neither the money or space to do that.

After nearly 10 years of trips with the Pinzgauer we decided our future travel plans required something which would be able to travel faster, quieter and more economically. We also recognised how infrequently we needed the off-road capability of the truck. In fact even our latest venture in Iceland and Scandinavia demonstrated just how far a little Suzuki Jimmy or Dacia Duster would go and much of the time we didn't even require to be in four wheel drive.

So on the one hand a decision was made to sell the Pinzgauer, at the same time plans to source a vehicle suitable to our needs were made.

The likely candidate will be a 4Motion Volkswagen T5 van or caravelle. In Europe VW produce a rugged version called Rockton
n07407-11.jpg
n07407-11.jpg (89.85 KiB) Viewed 3120 times
Here in the UK this version is not available, however many of the modifications can be done using parts from http://www.seikel.de
The interior modifications will be carried out by myself to produce a multi purpose platform which allows not only sleeping in the vehicle but multi-use load carrying, work use and everyday transport.

After Pinzgauer ownership I have to be careful not to try (and fail) to recreate the off-road prowess I have become used to. The 'new' vehicle whilst still 4x4 is intended for a different role and this on-road bias will be reflected in the modifications we intend to carry out.

I have no intention to linger on this forum and bore Pinzgauer owners with trips in a VW van, but if invited to do so, I can start a "post pinzgauer project post" in 'other 4x4' and continue to share my story.
Attachments
vw-t5-rockton-10.jpg
vw-t5-rockton-10.jpg (394.98 KiB) Viewed 3120 times
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Hope you do keep posting...

BTW - There is a big auction of fleet vehicles including 4x4 VW transporters tomorrow in the UK - Here is the link:

http://hanleysales.hibid.com/auctions/current

Not sure if you are looking for an older or newer vehicle...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Also - Those guys in Germany (Seikel) do offer portal axle box conversions for the VW T5 vans - so it should be qualified to be on this forum!

A bit pricey though...

Details on Conversion to T5 Extreme Wheelbase 3400 mm including:

Portal axles with permanent reduction 1,5: 1 and höhergelegtem chassis
5 complete wheels 7Jx16 H2 ET 112 with 235 / 85R16 A / T or M / T
Fender Flares forward
Aluminum fixed caliper brake caliper v + h
Strainer v + h
Speedometer adjustment

€ 28,500.00 plus. VAT.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

What a world. A guy in the US posts on an international forum that an auction in the UK is possibly going to have what another guy in the UK might be looking for.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Well I saw it on another forum posted from a guy in the UK...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

[quote="Haf-e"]Also - Those guys in Germany (Seikel) do offer portal axle box conversions for the VW T5 vans - so it should be qualified to be on this forum!

This highlights the point I made; it becomes tempting to try and re-create the off-road prowess of the Pinzgauer when, of course, if that was the vehicle I require I would have kept the Pinzgauer!

4Motion is primarily an on-road 4x4 system and even the Rockton offers limited off-road ability compared with vehicles like Pinzgauer.