Steel Soldiers Rally Feb 19-22, 2009, AKA FL Treffen...

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
russ

Post by russ »

That was a great get together. Met new folks and reunited with ones I haven't seen in a long time!

Erik, glad to help out. You are welcome anytime. How do you like Florida winters? From freezing at night to sunburn days! I got a little burn myself.

Alan, it was great fun driving your EFI truck. Ran really nicely. Herbert's trucks were the most interesting I have seen. Tom's haffie did pretty well with street tires in the mud too!

I think we outnumbered the US steel again this year!

That mud hole in your pics is quite a bit deeper and messier than any video could show.
If you didn't get stuck, you didn't try hard enough.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

It was a great weekend! I was not able to bring my Pinz as I was on kitchen duty most of the weekend but I did get to ride through the mud hole in Alan's Pinz. The EFI made a huge difference in the way a Pinz performs.

Herb took me for a ride in the Green Pickle and all I can say WOW! I have never been for a ride like that in a Pinz. He even let me drive it for a while but not in the mud. It was a blast and cant wait for next year.

Wayne
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Hi Wayne, great meeting you at the rally
Wayne Roberts wrote:It was a great weekend! but I did get to ride through the mud hole in Alan's Pinz. The EFI made a huge difference in the way a Pinz performs.
We should have had you drive it through the mudholes yourself! :-)

I was very pleased with the EFI performance in the deep water & mud. Also the slow speed performance. We've been mostly in rocky, hilly stuff in testing to date, so it was good to get some wet & sloppy field operation in.
Herb took me for a ride in the Green Pickle and all I can say WOW! I have never been for a ride like that in a Pinz.
The pickle is a hoot. 2.7l with EFI, disk brakes, shortened wheelbase, it screams. I personally have been in it with Herbert driving with the GPS was indicating over 85mph. On hilly two lane mountain roads to boot!

as a driver, Herbert has two speeds: Stopped and fast, so that has an impact as well. Even in the 6x6 haffie he was screaming around the trails at the rally.
Erik712m

Pic's

Post by Erik712m »

Alan, Doing donuts... In the mud he really never left 4th and ran 4,400 Rpm. It was quite the ride.

.Image

Alan, driving thru the swamp.

Russ's Son showing off the launcher.

Herbert shooting what? :lol:

Out of every one Herbert was the one at first I was afraid to talk to end the end he was probably one of the nicest guys there. Willing to answer any question. Went out of his way to scare the piss out of me in six by six heffy. Man is that thing fast and corners on a dime at speed.

Alan, Again thanks for letting me hang around and drive your pinz. You have done a really nice job tuning in your EFI. It was most impressive.
Last edited by Erik712m on Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinztrek
Barbados

Re: Pic's

Post by pinztrek »

Well, third low range & 3000 rpm anyway. :-) Did not mean to run through that fast, but once you got the tires spinning, you get going faster. Never felt it up against the rev limiter.

I'm amazed you & Jeff were able to hang on back there! :-) I look at the videos from in cab and realize how rattled we were getting. we would start out at about 5 mph, but seemed to always pick up speed.

One regret is that I never tried idling through. Wonder if the "off road cruise control" would have worked in the deep mud?

Here's another 4 wheels spinning donut shot:

Yep, Herbert is super nice once he get's to know you. BTW, it's a Steyr AUG he's shooting in the photo, what did you expect? :-)

It was great having you there along with the FL crowd. I'm very impressed, they really love to play in the mud & water.

Have fun,

Alan
Last edited by pinztrek on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

russ

Post by russ »

Erik712m wrote:Image
I recognize the back of that head and that empty beer can is Erik's My son is too young to drink!

Enjoying all the pictures you're posting. What a fun time.
If you didn't get stuck, you didn't try hard enough.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Russ, Hi well I started to peel yesterday. Looks like I have a bad case of dandruff. Next time I'm in Florida, I'll make sure I bring along a hat.

I see Alan has uploaded some videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ltg0yMrHM
pinztrek
Barbados

Post by pinztrek »

Erik712m wrote:Russ, Hi well I started to peel yesterday. Looks like I have a bad case of dandruff. Next time I'm in Florida, I'll make sure I bring along a hat.
Well I was born south of Miami, and still managed to get burned. Jeff kept telling me he was putting on sun-screen, and it went in one ear and out the other. Just simply was not in "protect from the sun" mode, still in GA winter mode. :-)

Jason has some video's he took that we are trying to get posted as well.

Have fun, and I hope things are going smoothly for you.

Alan