Santiago Peak

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
Pinz Enthusiast

Santiago Peak

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

Loyal whats it look like up santiago peak, are the gates open or did they close them till fall as usual, would be great to get an impromptu run this weekend or next going, let us all know.
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

They were open yesterday, but we just got some rain out here today. I'll check first thing in the morning to see if they closed them.

-Loyal
bernhard

Post by bernhard »

If its open im ready to go. Have been working on the K all weekend and need a break.

Bernhard
Bernhard
1973 712M
1975 710K
2013 Tacoma TRD 4X4
rl dietz

i,m ready

Post by rl dietz »

loyal.... i think that if there is no rain by sunday morning 4/30/06 that the ones that are ready for santiago peak might have to be in front of your house in silverado cyn around 8:30 am ,fueled up and with lunch in hand. sorry to be pushey, but lets do this already!!! anybody with a better idea lets hear it ... i'm going asphalt crazy !need some dirt!!....... randy dietz, san clemente.
74 710 m in southern calif
73 710 m in costa rica
79 u1300l unimog,in costa rica
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

Okay, the forest service is yanking me around. The gate was open/closed/open/closed/open all weekend long. I even ran into some folks that got stuck behind the gate after it was closed behind them.

It was open yesterday afternoon and has remained open until this morning. In between that it was pretty random.

If any of you just headed up there anyway, I salute your bravery. :)

If we want to schedule for this coming Saturday (4/28), I can post update reports all day Friday and Friday night about the gate. It seems that if it is open at sunset it will be open at sunrise...

-Loyal
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

The gate was still open this morning, however I believe the weather is going to squash our weekend plans again:

Special Weather Statement

Statement as of 8:00 AM PDT on April 25, 2006

... A late Spring storm with showers and possible thunderstorms will move through southwest California Wednesday through Thursday and possibly into early Friday...

An upper level low pressure system was west of central California this morning. The low will move over far southwest California Wednesday and slowly move east Thursday through early Friday. This system will bring showers and possible thunderstorms with dangerous lightning through the area during this period. Showers may begin late tonight from the west. Showers will become likely by Wednesday afternoon with a slight chance for thunderstorms. Showers and thunderstorms will be possible Thursday with decreasing chances Thursday night through Friday morning. This system may bring locally heavy rain at times and may also cause hail... gusty winds... funnel clouds and waterspouts.

Rainfall amounts will mostly be around one quarter to one half inch in the coastal and inland areas with one half to one inch in the mountains with some locally higher amounts and one tenth to one quarter inch in the deserts.

Snow levels will be above 7500 feet through Wednesday morning... then it will drop to around 5000 feet late Wednesday through Thursday. Snowfall could be up to 3 to 6 inches in the higher elevations.

Anyone in Southern California planning travel mainly through the mountain areas Wednesday through Thursday should stay informed on this developing Spring storm.
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

Gate is still open as of this morning.

I will have a few guests at my house this weekend, so perhaps we can setup a meet time at the Silverado Cafe on Saturday?

Also, does anyone know Tom that lives here in OC and drives around a 710K (pretty vague, I know)? I'm sure he'd love to go along, but I lost his contact info.
loyalp
United States of America

Post by loyalp »

Still open this morning. Any interest for tomorrow?
bernhard

Post by bernhard »

I'm ready to go...Anyone else?
Bernhard
1973 712M
1975 710K
2013 Tacoma TRD 4X4
Pinz Enthusiast

Santiago Peak

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

Loyal, what time do we meet at the silverado cafe, as long as the gate is open that is...
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I'd LOVE to go, but even if I set off early in the Pinny I don't think I'II make it on time! 8)
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
bernhard

Post by bernhard »

is this ride still on? the gate is 20 min from my place so ill get there at 8:00 and check it out. 10-4 over and out.
Bernhard
1973 712M
1975 710K
2013 Tacoma TRD 4X4