FL Mini Treffen Pics (Repost)

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
russ

FL Mini Treffen Pics (Repost)

Post by russ »

Thought I would put back a link to some pictures from the mini FL Treffen held Labor Day weekend (Sat.)

Total of 5 Pinzes (3 - 710Ks, 2 - 710Ms) and one 404 Unimog.

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/r ... oam9-2-06/

Hoping to get some other movies and pictures from others on the trip.

russ '74 710K
krick3tt

treffen

Post by krick3tt »

Great pics.
I was noticing the tan pinz with the upper rack in number 19 of 24. How was that done?
Seems that putting a rack on the M is rather tricky. Really be interested in how it is accomplished.

Cheers,
Morris 710M
Wayne Roberts

Roof Rack

Post by Wayne Roberts »

Krick3tt- The Tan Pinz is mine. Since then I have added a roof mounted spare and mounted my high lift jack to this rack.

The rack is made from 1 inch square aluminum tube with a 3/4 marine plywood deck. I added some extra material to the top in the areas where the bolts went through. It is supported on angle aluminum. I used 2 bolts per roll bar with a fender washer under each nut. It would have been better to mount it to an exo-skeleton and not have to damage the top but, alas I do not have one. I do not take the top off so it really doesnt matter. A nice added benifit is that it shades the sun from hitting the top and it is noticeablely cooler.

This platform has suported my son and I while using a telescope with out any problem. Makes a great place from which to watch the Space Shuttle launch. It puts me above the crowd. I try and go over to the cape to watch every time as it is only an hour from here.
Twebba

Post by Twebba »

Hi Wayne,

Are you at all worried about being too top-heavy?
(Especially with a tire and hi-lift permanently mounted up there)

I've got a fairly hefty rack on top of my pinz (with a mounted hi-lift) that I'm planning to replace with a lightweight Yakima.

I've already been in a few situations where the rack and hi-lift alone as made me feel a bit uneasy when taking off-camber obsticles. I can't imagine what the added weight of a spare tire would do.

- Just curious...
~ TW ~
'73 710K
Wayne Roberts

Post by Wayne Roberts »

Twebba- The rack is very light being made of aluminum. The spare tire mount is made of aluminum also. The tire mount is bolted to the center antenna mount and not to the rack so they will flex intependantly. Have not really felt them up there (as of yet) and I do use my truck offroad. The rack and mount are less than 30lbs (without wood) and I dont carry anything else up there. I am sure that I am still less weight than a K without a rack. Are you driving a K or M?
Twebba

Post by Twebba »

Sounds like you're quite a bit lighter than mine.

I had to remove my rack when I first got the pinz to fix some leaks, I couldn't believe how heavy it was - probably upwards of 70 pounds (ouch! :shock: ) Plus the added weight of the hi-lift must bring it close to 100.

I'm driving a K. (see pic)
Here's somehing that baffles me: The specs of the M and the K show them very close in weight. Does anyone know how much the hard body of a K adds to the vehicle :?:

- This is probably venturing way off the original topic, but I'm just curious.

BTW - here's a shot of that rack (before I purchased it):
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3492/rackma3.jpg
~ TW ~
'73 710K
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Does anyone know how much the hard body of a K adds to the vehicle?
I can't say for sure, but I know it takes four strong guys to lift the top of a K on and off, perhaps 4-500 lbs.

Jim M.

712W and 710M