Big Bear ride

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
rl dietz

big bear ride

Post by rl dietz »

oh!!! vons and starbucks that narrows it down to about 70 strip malls in the inland empire .is that near petsmart and staples.
I have to install new batterys in my pinzi today (my cd player is not wired correctly)I am thinking vons in big bear??? I will show up,,pinzi willing!!!!

and what's up no pink cow .. well got to go. hope to see you guys in the morning. happy and healthy new year for all..
rl dietz....
74 710 m in southern calif
73 710 m in costa rica
79 u1300l unimog,in costa rica
Pinz Enthusiast

Big Bear Ride

Post by Pinz Enthusiast »

Ok Gang,

Here is the itenerary for the day, were meeting at the Von's (in Big Bear Randy...lol) at 9:30am till about 10:00am, after Gassing up and getting any last minute provisions we will head for the north shore and proceed up Polique Canyon to 3N16 and make our way to 3N02 which is the entrance to John Bull Trail, should be a good day and take us about 3 or 4 hours to do the 3.5 miles of the trail, (stopping for lunch etc....included) and back out to Big Bear to wash most of the mud off for the trip back, bring lots of quarters for the wash.

Now for those comming up your best route is going to be the 91 stay on till it becomes the 215 and exit the 30Cross Town Freeway, take the Watermen off ramp, turn left onto waterman continue up highway 18 to the summit (I take this route almost weekly as it is easier on the pinz and as we know how slow they climb on asphalt we need the advantage of two lanes so we dont have to use turn outs) and follow across the top of the world highway thru Running Spings and on to Big bear, Turn right and cross the damn and continue into town, at the first signal (Paine Ave) turn left and follow around onto Big Bear Blvd, at your second signal (Pine Knott Blvd) you have your first chance for gas (Valero) I go3 more signals to Summit Blvd and gas up at the CitGo, (much bigger lot and usually better priced gas) after gassing up continue in the same easterly direction on Big Bear Blvd. till you see the Starbucks and Vons on your left, (aprox. a mile after the CitGo Gas station).

There we can fill up on coffee and those that need or want to can get their lunch ordered from the Vons deli before we hit the trails, if we finnish a little earlier I can show you all some of the sights I usually show paying customers when I do tours out in Holcomb Valley, and if anybody is bringing kids along be sure to bring some sleds too, we might find some great hills for sledding and snow ball fights if anybody is up for it, Dress warm as it has been very cold out in the forest, highs might be as high as 60 and as cold as 29, I know I'll be enjoying me new fan motor in the cab.

any questions or if your running late or get lost feel free to call me.
Eric @ 714-394-4160 or Jim @ 909-215-0547 for updates or directions.
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor MH
hope to get a 1969 Ford M656
rollingpinz

Post by rollingpinz »

Hello

How long should I expect the drive to be from Cerritos, CA? Also, I had to buy split-links for the chains. You will have to show be your technique for putting them on. I assume that the plate-steel adjusters go on the inside. I was able to hook one side of the tire, but not the other. I will futz some more with them tonight.

Eric P
How would an ice-age end without global warming?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Don't worry about chains, I'll show you what to do with them :D
Just mapquest Big Bear for travel time est. , my guess is if you leave by 6:30 am you should be there right on time.
I suspect light traffic coming this direction :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Pinz Enthusiast

Big Bear Ride

Yeah Jim.

Im expecting a light freeway too, should only be 1.5 to 2 hours from my house off the 91 and Imperial Highway, leaving at 7:00am 3 passengers for sure maybe more.
Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE
rollingpinz

Post by rollingpinz »

Hello

I'm sorry guys, but I'm out. The wife is getting really sick and I've got to take care of our daughter. On the plus side, I should be get two trail-days on account of the sympathy card. So, please, lets plan more soon. Maybe Rincon or Dart Canyon. They were both fun. Also, I will continue to futz with those chains.

Eric P
How would an ice-age end without global warming?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Chain directions are on Juergen's site :wink:
The hardware faces out.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

What a ride, 5 trucks total, 2 712's and 3 710's Did the Holcolm valley and John Bull trails :twisted:
Very scenic and fun :!:
Looking forward to the next off road adventure.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
Pinz Enthusiast

Big Bear ride

Well I finally found time to post the only pics I was able to take out on the trail, sorry it's only 4 but here is proof we did John Bull, it was a lot of fun, some carnage suffered by all involved, only thing tht sucked was the 4 hour drive home, yes it's 92 miles from my house to Big Bear and it took 4 hours to make that distance, if we do it again let's get there earlier in the am so we can leave before traffic.

Eric
Anaheim Hills, Ca
1973 712M
1996 LR Disco I
2003 LR Discovery SE