NWMF

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
krick3tt

NWMF

Post by krick3tt »

I just got back from NWMF and not very many pinzies there this year. I drove up in the pinz. Left San Diego 8/4 for Vallejo and had the crew at Expedition Imports do a bit of work to solve an oil leak at the oil cooler.

Went through Lassen Volcanic park, stopped at my land near Alturas, went through Crater Lake Park and stopped at Waldersee farm, just to locate it for the event. Then drove up the coast and stopped at a beautiful streamside campground and met a couple from Denmark that were very familiar with pinzies. They were sure surprised to see one next to them in a campsite.
Visited my friend in Portland for a day and went to our new house in Suquamish WA, (no rain). Back to NWMF for 5 days, they were still cutting the field when I got there to find a site to camp.
Left Sheridan to go to visit my friend Mike Pop in Eureka, NV for a few days, then back to San Diego.
I now know the pinz will travel well and makes a great camper. I averaged about 13.5 to 14.5 mpg on the highway, which I think is pretty good for a 710. Total milage door to door was 5360 km. I quit keeping track of the gas after Seattle as I was very often using the cans for refilling, especially in Oregon. Just did not seem important, as I would check mpg randomly if I filled up at a station.
It was a great trip, lots of friendly curious people and wildlife (deer, elk, antelope, rabbits, etc the whole way. The pinz ran well and other than an idle issue (whick could be a linkage question) there were no problems. I do want to get a good radio, there were some very quiet streaches through Nevada and the Mojave, and music would have helped.
...and yes, I would do it again.

Cheers all,
Morris
rollingpinz

Post by rollingpinz »

Hello

What was the weather like? I am anxious to go next year. Maybe Jim can be talked into it.

Eric P
How would an ice-age end without global warming?
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Sounds like fun Morris. Are you permanantly in the great NorthWest now? I'm waiting to see your trip report when you do the Alaska run!
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Denis

Nice

Post by Denis »

What a nice trip you did and over 5000 km in a trip is very good. :D

Hope some day i will make something like that. :wink:

Maybe you can show us a couple pics from the trip....

Regards

Denis 8)
krick3tt

NWMF

Post by krick3tt »

Hello all,

rollingpinz:
The weather was warm, in the high 70 to low 80's. Cloudy in the am with a bit of ground fog on the fields. Mild at night, in the 60's. Rained the last night starting right after the raffle and lasted till morning.

pinzwheeling:
I am still in San Diego and back at work this morning. I did visit our house in Suquamish for a day and enjoyed the back deck watching the ships on the sound and having a soothing glass (paper cup) of wine. It is really quiet, I am going to enjoy living there. We still have to sell the house in SD before we can officially move. I had planned this trip when the house was in escrow the first time and the buyers pulled out, did not want to change my plans, so off I went.
The trip to Alaska will need a few items that I do not have yet. Travel trailer for sleeping is big on the list.

Denis, I will send you some pics soon.

Cheers,
Morris
andy

Post by andy »

Morris, re "The Alaska Trip" are you planning on doing the Alaskan Highway? I'm asking because a friend of mine is trying to talk me into doing one using MY Pinz.

If you do make the trip I'm sure almost everyone here would be very interested in your experiences.

I'm not sure what I'd be worried most about on a trip like that, the cost of fuel or breakdowns in the middle of nowhere.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
krick3tt

NWMF

Post by krick3tt »

Andy,
I think the big issue is the cost of gas. If your pinz is in good shape you may not need to worry much about breakdowns. I carry an extra fan belt, got in that habit from my VW days (air cooled engine and no fan is disaster).
I have read the extra parts that jeeps carry for long and off road trips and we pinz owners are very lucky. Jeeps go faster and are fine machines, don't get me wrong, but I prefer the pinz. I like it better than my Mog (404, sold it) uses much less gas and is quieter.
I have not planned out the 'Alaska trip' yet. Have to get settled in WA and feel out the country there, lots of trails to adventure there first.
I have a small leak at my push rod tubes and I thought I might change to 2.7 L at the top end before too long. A little extra 'juice' for the road would be good. I have to look into what is going to be required for that work. If anyone has done it I would really like to know what I am in for there.

Morris
Denis

Travel trailer for sleeping is big on the list

Post by Denis »

Morris here is what i did with my Pinz trailer.

I have done some nices trips with it and it works great. The last one was over 500 km on gravel road and some abandoned roads that were pretty bad. :twisted:

The trailer just follow. I even did a couple of drift. :wink:

If you're thinking of Alaska, i might be interested. 8)

Denis
andy

Post by andy »

What a cool idea for a trailer. Pinz people have yet to cease to amaze me.

Morris, maybe a bunch of people would want to caravan or convoy to Alaska after you get your Pinz squared away. Good idea about the fan belt, that's one (among many others probably) I had not thought of.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Sorry Mark (another SWPA member) but if you are not going to show what you did I will. I thought it was a grand idea and so does the wife, might even see something similar in the future for my trailer.
Mike
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Here is a link to some cool NWMF footage posted by Kelly
henchman # 416 fuelmiester from the mog list .
Enjoy :twisted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkZKVPJ0AyA
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."