Pinelands Pinz

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
IwanaPinz

Pinelands Pinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

Now here on the East Coast we lack the beauty of the desert but right here in New Jersey located between the cities of New York and Philadelphia is a vast tract of land called The Pinebarrens, Very flat, the highest point in the Pinebarrens is only about 600 feet above sea level. From a fire tower located in the middle of the barrens you literally can see across the state, from Philadelphia to the ocean. Underneath the Pinelands is the largest underwater aquifer on the east coast. The water in this aquifer is comprised of some of the purest water found on Earth. Thanks all to the last ice age glaciers.

Here’s a link to some of the photos from my first real off road adventure with the Pinz.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tahl007/
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.
texas pinzgauer

John McPhee's book about the Pine Barrens of New Jersey

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Your story reminded me of the book I read a few years ago by John McPhee about the region and it sounds really spectacular and unspoiled with a lot of interesting historical details.

It's worth reading if you want to know more about it. Here's a review.
http://www.dustjacketreview.com/books/page/291734
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
krick3tt

pine barrens

Post by krick3tt »

I get emails from my friend in NJ (Mike Pop) that goes there on a regular basis and leads MV trips there quite often. Lots of Mog and other MV folks back east spend lots of time there. You may find links to photos on the Mog website as well.

Morris
Jay

Post by Jay »

I'm in Pine Barrens usually twice a month.Know some good trails near Atsion and Batsto Village on Rt 206. So, if anyone is ready... My 710 will be back on road in two weeks.Still waiting for vintage plates registration ... :(
todds112

Post by todds112 »

Facinating. I had no idea such a place existed in NJ. Almost looks like someone flattened out some of the pine forests here in the west. Thanks for posting those.
1973 712M
andy

Post by andy »

If I'm not mistaken one of the best trackers in the country lives out there and has a school set up. His name is Tom Brown. He's written several good books about tracking and survival skills.

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Andy, I beleave he was the technical director for the movie the hunted.
andy

Post by andy »

From wikipedia:

Tracker School
Tom Brown's Tracking, Nature and Wilderness Survival School is located in New Jersey.[2] Most classes offered by Tracker School are held in 'Primitive Camp' which is located in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. However, classes are also offered in California and Florida. The school teaches wilderness skills and emphasizes a natural way of living.

All students that attend Tracker School begin with the 'Standard' class, which serves as a foundation for future, more advanced skills to be built upon. Standard class involves instruction in knife handling and safety, carving, building a primitive shelter, safe procurement and treatment of water, various fire-making techniques such as bowdrill, mouth-drill and hand-drill, making cordage (rope) from natural materials, trap-building, flint-knapping, camouflage, stalking, brain tanning, cooking, plant studies, throwing stick handling, awareness and of course, tracking. Tracking is broken up into two main sections: pressure release studies and sign tracking. While both pressure releases and sign tracking are self-sufficient disciplines, they complement each other well.

Andy[/b]
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
todds112

Post by todds112 »

"Brain Tanning" :shock: Is that what happens when you are out in the sun too long without a hat?

That sounds like an awesome class. As long as they don't make you eat grubs or bugs or something. :wink:
1973 712M