North Carolina and surounding states

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
NC Haflinger

North Carolina and surounding states

Post by NC Haflinger »

Hey guys, I guess first post. Any way I was wonder Who is around the NC area with Pinzgauers, Volvos, Haflingers and MOgs?

Reason I am asking is that another fellow Haflinger owner is wanting to get some people together for a Euro Truck East coast event. It may be small by itself or maybe combined with some Vw camper/syncro people. Just trying to get a head count of who is around here. I feel like the only halfinger owner in NC. Erhard moved to VA beach with his recently.
lateR
Erick Sowder
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I've only been up close to one Hafflinger so when I look at the photo of yours, my first reaction is that if you put a Pinzgauer in the dryer it will shrink up like yours apparently did!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
NC Haflinger

Post by NC Haflinger »

my haflinger is like the Suburban big Haflinger! LOL! Series 2 long wheel base 6 passenger 5 door hard top! It was a swiss police vehicle! i will post a pick of it next to my old Pinzgauer for size comparison. Image[/img]

NC_Mog

Post by NC_Mog »

I'd be interested. Despite the screen name, I do own a Pinz. Where are you located in NC?
Kimball
1979 712M
NC Haflinger

Post by NC Haflinger »

I am in NW Greensboro near Oakridge. Would love to get some of the NC folks together sometime. And I am still looking into a event of some kind here in NC or will head to the South East Mog fest if they get it going.
later
Erick
http://www.willswayoutbugbarn.com/
critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

Eric,

As we discussed, would be interested.

Bob
NC Haflinger

Post by NC Haflinger »

Cool, looks like 3 so far plus me! That is a big event for this side of the Country! LOL! Still working on a place and time. I will let everyone know.
thanks
Erick
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

You might want to check into using the Uwharrie National Forest as a meeting spot. I used to attend the Land Rover rallys down there. I showed up at last years event in my Volvo 303.

I stopped doing that since some of those die-hards actually seem to get upset when they see a 303 getting too close. A 303 just intimidates other 4x4 owners quite often. I had one guy yell at me once for showing up near another event. He didn't want me "off-roading that thing" with them. (until someone gets hopelessly stuck Im sure... then I'm only $100/hour!)
:roll:
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

NC Haflinger

Post by NC Haflinger »

Vince they just were jelaous of that awesome rig! LOL! Hope you are doing well. I went with some jeeps way back when I had my pinzgaure and blasted thru the trails that they were creeping over. Right now I am trying to team up with a Vanagon group. They are are usualy a good group to deal with. More laid back like most VW bus owners are. We have awesome rigs and I hope to not land on a rover or jeep weekend it would be a bad scene to show up all those people and they get so mad sometimes. Samauri people are petty good when I wheeled with my samauri back in the day so over lapping with them might not be bad either. If anyone knows of dates at Uwharrie that are not good like Jeep/rover weekend please let me know. I am in the reserch mode now and all info will be greatly appreciated!
later
Erick
jrcotner
United States of America

Post by jrcotner »

I'm up in Northern Virginia and would be interested in coming down to North Carolina for a meet. Keep me posted.
Thanks,
John Cotner
1946 Willys CJ-2a
Elizabethton, TN
NC Haflinger

Post by NC Haflinger »

will do John.
russ

Post by russ »

It's a little far north for me to come up but you could put your haffie in the back of a pickup and come down next year to the Steel Soldier's FL rally! We missed our haffie buddies that came down from GA last year.

Vince, it's a shame about someone chasing you off. No one has done that here BUT I have ended one Jeep event. They were all boasting about going over some steep incline and bridging over the top. I approached, stopped at the bottom. Was yelled to that I needed a lot of momentum to make it up and over. I laughed and said "I don't need no stinkin momentum". At that I puttered up and over.

Several Jeep drivers approached afterward, one said "I don't want to play anymore, you took all the fun out of it". This was after I pulled one off the top after high centering. :) Ahhh, the good old days, that was about 6 years ago and I still laugh when I think about the comment made that day.
If you didn't get stuck, you didn't try hard enough.
'74 710K

1984 in 2009
NC Haflinger

Post by NC Haflinger »

My first outing with my Old pinzgauer was with some jeep friends. I played tag along as it was my first trail ride and took the rear. They crawed threw some rocks and were taking photos, it was my turn and i went thru faster and before they turned around to take a photo i was finished. A trail ride later up in George Washington Forest they tried to get me sunk in a river, saying you should go that way. Like a gump I am I said OK. and went thru with water washing up to my windshield on my pinzgauer! and still made it out! I got several that bowed to me that day. I went back thru one more time for kicks and then the generator light came on and I got out quick! LOL! made it ok. That was winter time and If I got stuck that would have been a bad situation. The pinz made trails like almost no fun but it was still fun! I am staying with the hafligner as it makes trials even more fun! LOL!