SOUTHWEST MOGFEST 2010

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
pinzwheeling

SOUTHWEST MOGFEST 2010

Post by pinzwheeling »

There are only 22 registered so far... who's attending?

http://www.mogfest.com/home.asp
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Skeej

Re: SOUTHWEST MOGFEST 2010

Post by Skeej »

Yep, I see only 35 now- is that typical, this late in the game?

Compared to "150" or so (referenced on Bill Caids report for 2009) this inspires me to ask, as a newbie,

if it would be helpful to help ourselves as owners and to the want-to-be owners, and

more important, our sponsors and associated vendor-service provider experts who normally come to this sort of thing to keep the trucks running, if we shouldnt be trying a bit harder to

recruit more- as the more who show up, tend to spread the word and become customers....

anything we can do to help them in these tough economic times, to keep them in the Pinz business is a matter of intelligent self-interest...

if anyone agrees, heres a couple ideas- feel free to chime in or act on them-

1. Think the "Steel Soldiers" community might be interested?
And if so, who would cross post it- Zack?

2. How about the "family who is interested but does not yet have an ORV or military vehicle" - I realize this is a smaller subset than before this recession-

but I still see people spending money on toys-
and some have kids who they might just like to bring out for fun-
what kid doesnt love these things?

maybe if we could make it easy for the moms or dads who might not be as comfortable- committing to a primitive camp, or deciding on an unknown place and whether the SUV will make it....

could come out for a visit- if there was an easy way to make it-

Last time I passed thru the visitor center I saw lots of brochures for California Overland - a tour operator in Borrego who runs "Deuce and a Halfs" (M35A2).

I wonder if they might appreciate some new business- be willing to try setting up a special trip for an afternoon?

http://www.californiaoverland.com/rating_system.html

I'd be interested in picking their brains on trails and so on- worth it all by itself. I've been all over that desert, but its always changing and nice to learn from others.

Skeej

pinzwheeling wrote:There are only 22 registered so far... who's attending?

http://www.mogfest.com/home.asp
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I suspect some won’t bother to register this time as the camping is free and the food is what you bring. :( The only real reason to register would be to provide a “T” shirt count.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Fleg

Post by Fleg »

Too far. If it was more central to the southwest region of the United States I'm sure they would get more to attend.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I don't understand you guys :? This is Mogfest, Pinzers and others are just guests.
There are different takes on Mogfest from them. Some is the offroading, some is the social get together. They don't care who shows up.... the ones that attend are happy to see others that they only get to chat to online the rest of the year. There are some that never hit the trail and I can't imagine Mogfest without them!

Instead of saying what they should do, show up and ask what you can do to help. It has always been the same core of people showing up early to setup, and the last to leave, tearing down and packing up
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
pinzwheeling

Re: SOUTHWEST MOGFEST 2010

Post by pinzwheeling »

Skeej wrote:
if anyone agrees, heres a couple ideas- feel free to chime in or act on them-

2. How about the "family who is interested but does not yet have an ORV or military vehicle" - I realize this is a smaller subset than before this recession-

and some have kids who they might just like to bring out for fun-
what kid doesnt love these things?

maybe if we could make it easy for the moms or dads who might not be as comfortable- committing to a primitive camp, or deciding on an unknown place and whether the SUV will make it....

could come out for a visit- if there was an easy way to make it-
As far as attending the event (remember, this is IMHO, not the "official" stance) I've never heard of anyone being excluded due to their choice of vehicle. Mogfest is not an extreme 4x4 event; it's a annual meeting of friends and associates who share a similar passion. Families have always been in attendance; in fact the main reason I attend is to see friends and bring my kids for them to see their friends.

As far accessability, I believe the site is accessible by Honda Civic. :lol:
Michael

pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Fleg wrote:Too far. If it was more central to the southwest region of the United States I'm sure they would get more to attend.
Where would you suggest? Truckhaven is only a couple of hours South of Calico where Mogfest has taken place in the recent past. All of us San Diego area guys are finally able to take a one hour drive for the first time.

I agree that it's definitely further away from the Northern areas, but for attendees coming from AZ or NV, it's probably just about the same distance.
Michael

edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

pinzwheeling wrote: All of us San Diego area guys are finally able to take a one hour drive for the first time.

Must be nice, :lol: :lol: takes me more than an hour to just get thru Los Angeles… :(

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Try driving there from Wisconsin!! :lol:
Fleg

Post by Fleg »

pinzwheeling wrote:
Fleg wrote:Too far. If it was more central to the southwest region of the United States I'm sure they would get more to attend.
Where would you suggest? Truckhaven is only a couple of hours South of Calico where Mogfest has taken place in the recent past. All of us San Diego area guys are finally able to take a one hour drive for the first time.

I agree that it's definitely further away from the Northern areas, but for attendees coming from AZ or NV, it's probably just about the same distance.
Hold it in Arizona. Don't forget that New Mexico is also part of the southwest so southern California is hardly a central location for a true "southwest" event.
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Fleg wrote:
pinzwheeling wrote:

Hold it in Arizona. Don't forget that New Mexico is also part of the southwest so southern California is hardly a central location for a true "southwest" event.
My dad lives in Santa Fe, I love NM, but it's not exactly the closest location for the large majority of attendees. I guess there could always be a Midwest Mogfest to catch all of the Texas, OK, NM, etc owners.

Besides, what's nicer than a 20 hour drive across the desert in a Pinzi? Feel free to start a AZ mogfest, but those guys typically hold lots of treffens anyway; more than the rest of the US for sure. check out http://www.swpinzgauer.org/

This is the only event in California, so I can't see it moving anywhere else any time soon. We're lucky that Zack and the Mog guys are continuing the tradition. All of the guys in years past (Alan, Kai, Scott, Dave, etc) have busted their collective rear ends for years to keep it alive.
Michael

pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

undysworld wrote:Try driving there from Wisconsin!! :lol:
Wish I had that kind of time!
Michael

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

There is nothing keeping anyone from starting a "local" Pinz Treffen, Haflinger Treffen ,Mogfest ( or Supacat fest :D ) in their own back yard.... some one just needs to get off their duff and organize it. No special knowledge needed, only a desire to have a outing.... and afterwards, have the satifaction of what was accomplished, and hear the complaints of the couch potatoes.
I started the "Gatherings" 7 years ago without a clue of what to do ( and some say I'm still clueless), but the idea was simple, I wanted Pinz owners to get together to learn about their trucks by crawliing up, over and under other trucks and listen to the sounds and smells to compare to their own truck. These are things you can never learn from a website or forum.

And for those that don't know, Northwest Mogfest is going on now, and people have travelled great distances to attend . I just wish I could find the time to attend. :cry:

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Michael,
Wish I had that kind of time!
We've all got that kind of time, it's just how we choose to spend it!

Dave,

You're absolutely correct. We recently had our 2nd "treffen" here. Last year, I had the only Pinz there. This year, there were 5. Next year, who knows???

Last year, it was at an off-road venue (which was regrettably closed by the DNR this spring), which may have been more challenging than some owners were comfortable with. This year was mainly minimally-maintained class-b roads in IA.

We didn't know what we were doing either, but rather just made it all up. Whatever we did, everybody reported that they had a great time.

If you start it, they will come.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Paul, You and Andy in Texas took the initiative to put something together in your respective areas, and that is what it takes.

You set a date down well in advance, and if people really want to come, they will make arrangements to be there.... even little one day get togethers are a good start. Even if it doesn't go well, you learn for the next time.

Jim jogged my memory the other day asking if I had any more "Zenith Carbs manuals", from the 1st gathering? .... I had forgotten that there was a tech class on Pinz carbs held at then, and I had printed up several copys of the carb section for people. It took me back to the earliest of Gatherings and how it started.

I would like to see the informative classes come back the Gathering. Whereas the general technology of the Pinz was commonplace in "my day". Today , everything is video or computer screen , and some things can't be learn that way.