SOUTHWEST MOGFEST 2010

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Dave,

You bring up good points. (But first I've got to give credit to Tom Landmann for setting up this year's treffen here. I simply didn't have the mental capacity this year, and Tom stepped in and did an admirable job. Thanks Tom!!)

He/we tried to get folks' input as to date/s, and ultimately just picked the date that seemed to fit the most people's schedules. They either make it or they don't.

We had hoped that we'd have time to get into some mechanical aspects of the trucks, but there was not enough time this year. That was unfortunate, because a couple guys had some questions on things. Perhaps our next meeting will be more centered on this, and include a drive together as a secondary item. We didn't even have a breakdown or anybody get stuck/tip over to deal with.

Although I think you have a few years on me, my high school power mech classes covered things like carbs and adjusting valves. Unfortunately, I was more centered on girls at that age. :roll: (FWIW, That's another topic that doesn't come across as well on a CRT as it does "hands on". :lol: )

Paul
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Trail rides and tech classes don't go together :wink: ...If you gather for a ride, noone wants to wade through boring tech things, or mechanicals... unless broken down on the side of the trail ( then you have a captive class :lol: ). A tech day needs to be just that.

When I was in school, electronic fuel injection were fairly new, and few cars had them..... I like carbs, I can always get them to run... I can always get myself home with them. not like EFI, it's dead just with the lost of a fuel pump, and too many other things that can.... and I don't want to carry a complete auto parts store in the back.. :wink: .... my daily vehicles are a different thing... I leave them to the snotnose kids with a video screen to fix. :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Skeej

Mogfest and the Gathering and future Treffens

Post by Skeej »

Dave, thanks to you and to all the folks who have put on these kinds of events and I am very grateful to learn.

I'd vote for some tech time one day, formal or not, to learn from other owners, as that is probably the biggers reason for me to buy the Pinz - simple enough for a noob to learn most of what it takes to work on it, oneself, with study and practice,

and its ability to go most anywhere, if you are careful and smart, was the other-

and its clear that going on trail rides, even just to watch is the key to learning the unique capability - theres definitely a knack to driving these, you just cant get from a book.

I'm handy, but no mech, so I cant tell you how much I've learned from just hanging around on a tech day at Ramona Motors, or at Jims shop, trying not to pester him too much, but asking as many questions as he'll let me, furiously taking notes, and getting my hands dirty when he can without breaking something- thats made it much easier to take on things I'd normally be afraid to try for fear of screwing it up.

That and the tons of tips online, here and the yahoo groups, thanks to all the guys who share that,
makes my wild leap of faith to invest $$$ and time, well-worth it, and ever more convinced that the alternative- buying a nice used TOYO crewcab, while easier, up front, and more acceptable to the wife and neighbors- "style-wise"
that would never give me the satisfaction or confidence I need, to keep it, cost effectively, at an overal lower cost of ownership, and to know I could self-repair, or self-recover from just about anywhere in the backcountry I might take it, or further (expedition dreaming...)
with the tools you can carry and a few spares, for 95% of what might break.

With just about any other vehicle made in last 10 years, you need a full-tradeschool education and $100,000 in computer test equip, just to diagnose!

Anyway, I know most of you get this, but thanks again- and

Zack, Scott, Dave, Jim- anyone doing anything to prep or support this, I am happy to do my part - let me know how else I can help, other than spread the good word, and enjoy when I get there!

SKOAL! http://cookingissues.wordpress.com/skoa ... l-project/
and
L'chaim! http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/582 ... oved-ones/
Fleg

Post by Fleg »

pinzwheeling wrote:
Fleg wrote:
pinzwheeling wrote: Where would you suggest? Truckhaven is only a couple of hours South of Calico where Mogfest has taken place in the recent past. All of us San Diego area guys are finally able to take a one hour drive for the first time.

I agree that it's definitely further away from the Northern areas, but for attendees coming from AZ or NV, it's probably just about the same distance.
Hold it in Arizona. Don't forget that New Mexico is also part of the southwest so southern California is hardly a central location for a true "southwest" event.
My dad lives in Santa Fe, I love NM, but it's not exactly the closest location for the large majority of attendees. I guess there could always be a Midwest Mogfest to catch all of the Texas, OK, NM, etc owners.

Besides, what's nicer than a 20 hour drive across the desert in a Pinzi? Feel free to start a AZ mogfest, but those guys typically hold lots of treffens anyway; more than the rest of the US for sure. check out http://www.swpinzgauer.org/

This is the only event in California, so I can't see it moving anywhere else any time soon. We're lucky that Zack and the Mog guys are continuing the tradition. All of the guys in years past (Alan, Kai, Scott, Dave, etc) have busted their collective rear ends for years to keep it alive.
I think you're confusing what I'm saying and adding things that I'm not. New Mexico is certainly not part of the Midwest!!
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

You gotta give Mike some latitude....it's isn't far west, and it ain't mid east..... :lol: :roll:

pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

David Dunn wrote:You gotta give Mike some latitude....it's isn't far west, and it ain't mid east..... :lol: :roll:
Yeah... I'm not known for my geography skills. What exactly would say is New Mexico's location?
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Andre
United States of America

mogfest

Post by Andre »

just count me and Vinni in for this years festivities. My kids wont be in tow but Mom will be tagging allong and I may even have my pinz running for the event. life is good.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

OK all, don't heckle me too much; I'm most likely going to be taking my Blazer to Mogfest. It looks like I'm going to be selling my 404 and since I sold my 712 last year, the Blazer is the only vehicle left.

Course if it's hot out, I'll be enjoying the A/C.

Anyone looking for a 404 rock mog?
http://www.ramonamotors.com/vehicledeta ... =122037487
Last edited by pinzwheeling on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael

krick3tt

Southwest Mogfest

Post by krick3tt »

I have been to several of the MogFests in Calico, especially when I had a Mog. Just returned from NWMF, didn't drive...flew up and rented a truck to get me there. Also went to the Treffen in AZ, met some great folks. Went to the Treffen in CO with the local Pinzgauer club but had just had surgery and didn't stay long. Always meet some great folks at these things.
Just go, in whatever you have and enjoy the people.
Won't make the Truckhaven event as family is coming first this year.
Y'all have a great time.

The events that Dave puts on are very educational and a great gathering and the gatherings in Ramona were good too. Lots to learn and with helping hands it isn't all that difficult to take away some first hand knowledge.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can attend the Mogfest for the whole 3 days, and probably will only be there on Saturday. :( ... and without any toys :cry:

If anyone wants to purchase glass or anything else I have, and have it delivered to Mogfest, (Including the 716 :wink: ) either email, call or PM me .

Dave
626 447-7628
dsd277@sbcglobal.net

pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

David Dunn wrote:Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can attend the Mogfest for the whole 3 days, and probably will only be there on Saturday. :( ... and without any toys :cry:

If anyone wants to purchase glass or anything else I have, and have it delivered to Mogfest, (Including the 716 :wink: ) either email, call or PM me .

Dave
626 447-7628
dsd277@sbcglobal.net
Boooo :(
Michael

ARVOps

Post by ARVOps »

O.K. Less than a week away

Who is gona hang out in Pinz central and what are your plans?
I’ll be bringing the Ugly Duck
Plenty of Pollo Asada and Carne Asada for Saturday night, with the fixings for burritos (About 5lbs of each to share.) I’ll probably bring some beans too. There will be room on the Grill for anybody else’s meat or dogs etc.
Any other suggestions or requests?
Of course we will have to have some beverages.
All three of my kids will be there. I’ll be arriving Friday night.

Jim T
sold 712AMB/M 2.7L Goatwerks Power! UglyDuck living the life in Alaska :(
I am pinzless.
I'm at Poway Jeep If you all need a hook up on a Cummins, Hemi, Or a Jeep. PM me.
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

One day away! Guess we're looking at some mud time. That alone should make for some pretty good stucks! Bring lots of towels and change of clothes.
Michael

Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Pullin the Haffy behind the Pinz, be there by late afternoon.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Planning at arriving around noonish on Friday. The condition report from Mike Dilley is that it's pretty dry in the camping area and the trail areas near camp are mixed, but not too slushy.

Look forward to seeing everyone soon!
Michael