Corowa 32nd Annual GPA Swim-in

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
TimJ

Corowa 32nd Annual GPA Swim-in

Post by TimJ »

Hi All,

Thought you might be interested in an event that I recently attended here in Australia. This is an ex-military vehicle get together that started out as a place for the amphibious vehicles to actually get into the water but has grown into a general ex-military vehicle show with a parade through the town at the end of the week. The location is a small town called Corowa on the Murray River which is the border between the states of New South Wales and Victoria. This is not an event for 4wding or trails but really just a get together, swap meet and show off of the the vehicles.

Each year the event has a theme and this year was The Year of the British and European vehicle so it seemed perfect to take my 1975 710M Pinzgauer along to. I was actually the only Pinzgauer there but there were a few Hafflingers. There were of course a lot of Land Rovers but also other vehicles like Austin Champs which are not so well known and the usual Jeeps and Blitzs. There was also some armoured vehicles and some amphibious ones. My wife and I drove down there in the Pinzgauer from Brisbane in Queensland which is a trip of about 1600km (1000 miles) each way so around 21 hours in each direction at 90kph which is a comfortable speed. The only problem we had was with an engine relay that decided to give up completely half way down but I knew it was on the way out as it had been misbehaving and I had a spare with me.

Here is a photo of my Pinzgauer with the Haffies

All the other photos of the event are here http://public.fotki.com/TimJ4blue/corowa-2011/

The full details of the Pinzgauer are 1975 710M, ex Swiss Army, after the trip down and back it now has 34,000km on it so it is really just run in :). It was imported into Australia by the previous owner and I purchased it about six months ago. If you have any questions about the vehicles in the photos let me know and I may be able to answer or find out information.

Cheers,

TimJ.
1975 710M Ex Swiss Army Reserve
undysworld
Norway

Re: Corowa 32nd Annual GPA Swim-in

Post by undysworld »

Tim,

Thanks for the pics. My favorite is the Alvis Stalwart. I've thought those were about the coolest trucks since I had a Matchbox version as a kid. I've still got it, and I'm over 50 now. A few years back, another Pinz owner here had one in town, so I got to drool over it in person.

That looks like quite a gathering.

Thanks,
Paul