Camp Pendleton Toys for Tots Event

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
Bruce Berger

Camp Pendleton Toys for Tots Event

Post by Bruce Berger »

This event has been posted on a number of Southern California lists but since it looks like there will be number of current military vehicles on display I thought I'd cross post it here (are you listening Dave?)

You can check out there event at this link - http://www.oausa.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... 83&start=0

From the latest ExPo post - "For those of you who like military grade hardware, I confirmed today that we will have a USMC 7-ton truck (grandson of the deuce and a half) and an M997 Hummer ambulance from 1st Marine Logistics Group on display. They will be there between 1pm and 5pm saturday.
Working now with 1st Marine Division to get an LAV-25 as well".

I was planning on taking the Tacoma but now I'll have to consider bringing my 710M (leaky push rod tubes and all). It would cool to get at least one 712 and a Volvo, maybe even a Supacat (Dave, can you hear me Dave?)

This is shaping up to be a huge event. Please remember to bring at least one $10 or more toy for a donation. Also be sure to reply to Adventure duo or Taco Doc it you are planning on camping ($8 fee).
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Camp Pendleton Toys for Tots Event

Post by David Dunn »

Hey Bruce,
Definately a good cause.
As far as taking a Supacat to Pendleton, I would need written permission for it to be allowed on the base. :? Last year, a MV club had planned an event at Pendleton with ex-military vehicles, a few days before the event, the base commander nixed the ex military vehicles from going onto the base. I don't know the particulars... if it was the MVs, or the people organizing it not being too sharp ? Either way, I wouldn't be too keen on being turned back at the gate... or worse yet, not letting me back off the base. :evil: ... unless they'd trade me a Striker for it... :mrgreen:

They have a nice Mechanized Museum on the base
The curator showed Jim and I around 4 years ago when we went down to pick up a M422...... some very nice toys there
http://www.themech.org/
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Skeej

Post by Skeej »

Bruce, good job. I'll be there with my 73 710K, still pretty much stock in OD.
I've done a bit of hunting and camping on base using the Pinz, and can tell you the young Marines and kids get a big kick out of seeing these vehicles, judging by the thumbs-ups.

Dave, I would suggest calling the event organizer for concerns about permits and all that. My guess is if they are working with the folks at the Mech Museum, which is right down the street from Lake O'Neill, then they have the direct pipeline to the right decision makers, and the best shot at deconflicting anything if you give them a few days advance warning.

Theres a trend of positive outdoors "user-friendly" good things been going on, lately, thanks to some quiet proactive leadership thats been working the proper channels and educating on win-wins, that builds upon and a long history of good deeds done by a lot of good folks.

For example - the Pendleton Sportsmans Club helped host a fishing event that got kudos in national magazines, so perhaps this is another opportunity for a different "recreational user" community to set an example for doing good, that might also spread farther than you think.
acebee
Switzerland

Post by acebee »

I'm planning to make it there with my son...
Gear
United States of America

Post by Gear »

I will be there as well. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Justin Pitcairn

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon w/
Ursa Minor J30 Camper
Instagram @pitcairnoverland