Scottish Highlands

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Re: Scottish Highlands

Post by ScottishPinz »

I think our truck would have been parked at the linn of dee car park when you passed. We walked up to white bridge on new years day. My rub rails are ok just now thanks. Hope to meet and see your truck at some point.

The giant toad is in fact a very juicy beef burger from the BBQ :)
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Back up in the Highlands of Scotland catching some great spring weather
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 168aa43d70
Attachments
IMG_0469.jpg
IMG_0469.jpg (15.72 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
IMG_9773.jpg
IMG_9773.jpg (15.97 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0212.jpg (12.11 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Some more photos
Attachments
IMG_0424.jpg
IMG_0424.jpg (15.93 KiB) Viewed 7497 times
IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0398.jpg (20.34 KiB) Viewed 7497 times
IMG_0394.jpg
IMG_0394.jpg (11.15 KiB) Viewed 7497 times
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Very nice!

I absolutely loved traveling through the Highlands....so much so, I got married on Skye my second time 'round. :)
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Another weekend away, this time in the Trossachs near Loch Lomond. So lucky as the holiday coincided with a mini heat wave in Scotland and spent the time kayaking and swimming in the Loch!

Truck had been running a bit rough but a new set of points and plugs saw it pulling smoothly with noticeably more power :)
Attachments
Pinz.jpg
Pinz.jpg (51.54 KiB) Viewed 7435 times
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I don't think that's the standard issue Swiss Pinzgauer warning triangle in your last picture, by the side of the road.
Quite an upgrade. I'll bet this one stops traffic better. :D
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

totaljoint wrote:I don't think that's the standard issue Swiss Pinzgauer warning triangle in your last picture, by the side of the road.
Quite an upgrade. I'll bet this one stops traffic better. :D
Well what could I do................
Attachments
IMG_1085.jpg
IMG_1085.jpg (6.69 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

I think the mechanical particulars of said dress climbing into a Pinzgauer has a high potential for, umm, a clothing malfunction as it were.

If she isn't Mrs. ScottishPinz you'd better put a ring on it, and if she is, good for you. Any woman who's willing to tool about in a pinz is a keeper.
1972 710K
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

:)
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

The Highlands beckon again. The autumn colours and delights of berries and mushrooms to be gathered.
Attachments
Pinzgauer with it's new bike carrier
Pinzgauer with it's new bike carrier
IMG_2837_2.jpg (54.82 KiB) Viewed 7278 times
parachute tent
parachute tent
IMG_2887.jpg (83.53 KiB) Viewed 7278 times
Mrs Scottish Pinz
Mrs Scottish Pinz
IMG_2898.jpg (74.46 KiB) Viewed 7278 times
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Another wee trip up to the Highlands this weekend. Harvesting berries and mushrooms. Pinzgauer was great as ever!
Attachments
IMG_5646.jpg
IMG_5646.jpg (96.59 KiB) Viewed 6976 times
IMG_5678.jpg
IMG_5678.jpg (72.14 KiB) Viewed 6976 times
IMG_6940.jpg
IMG_6940.jpg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 6976 times
IMG_5719.jpg
IMG_5719.jpg (81.21 KiB) Viewed 6976 times
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Ok,
As I mentioned earlier in this thread (but already 2 years ago...!), I visit friends in Scotland at least once a year, and I was longing to be able to test my Pinz against their Defenders. The previous years we were passengers in their Land Rover Defenders, (they have a panel van 110 Td5, lifted with air lockers, and a more recent 110 with "Utility wagon" body type, both with quite agressive Insa Turbo "special track" tires), but this year I had my Pinz with me!

As my visit was two weeks instead of one (like the previous years), I had the Pinz shipped ahead of me, so I could drive it there during the two weeks. Not exactly the most economical thing to do, but eventually shipping it both ways was similar to renting a premium car for the duration, and so much more fun!!

To explain the background, my Scottish friends are professional falconers, and they run a company called "Elite Falconry" near Kirkcaldy in Fife. I usually join them for their vacation, when they fly their eagles at white hare on a mountain estate in Glenshee (north of Perth, on the A93).

The usual "routine" is to drive as high as possible on the estate, while always staying on the track, in order to get to the hunting grounds, conditions permitting. The rest is on foot, or snowshoes. The track is steep at times, snow tends to accumulate in banks on it, and there are two fords across the river, so this was more action in these two weeks than -sadly- my Pinz had the last 5 years...
At the beginning of our stay the scenery was mostly green and we got stopped by a big bank of frozen snow. As visibility wasn't optimal higher up we decided not to spend too much time trying to push through. Later, we had some quite heavy snowfalls, so we chained up. I have 2 pairs of Konig Polar off-road chains for my Pinz, and on the fresh snow the difference with the Defenders (which only had one pair of chains each) was night and day. With the extra pair of chains, the Pinz' lockers and the added clearance, they had a hard time following my 40-year old truck.
Temperatures were never really cold (I think all this winter's really cold weather stayed in America...), so the next days on melted/frozen/re-melted snow getting traction was a little less easy, at some point it felt like steering a boat, even on flat ground.
Anyway, loads of fun driving my truck in (for once) challenging conditions, and the wee truck's performance matched its reputation!

Not much snow the first days...

The whole reason why we were there.

More snow later, and chained-up. I had installed a DIY temporary snorkel to cross the river, but the water was always low during our stay. In past years, when temperatures increase suddenly over the snow-covered hills, or even worse when it starts raining, the level can raise rapidly. Better safe than sorry...

You can find some more pics about our two weeks and some videos on my falconer friends' facebook page, too: https://www.facebook.com/elitefalconry .
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Looks like a great trip!
I like this quote from your friends Facebook page
"And yes, that is the unstoppable Land Rover stuck in the background. That Land Rover has every conceivable modification to keep it moving forward in all conditions (only rear snow chains were not fitted) and this Pinzgauer just drove right past with no drama! Incredible vehicle and when I win the lottery, a diesel one will be mine - maybe even a 6x6 version."
Nice job and what an adventure!
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Just a moment off the subject:
My wife and I went Falconing with a friend last week. A fascinating subject and sport to watch- unless your the rabbit.
We had a great time.
He is currently training 9 falcons to keep the starlings out of a commercial blueberry farm on Whidbey Island.