Big Bend National Park & Big Bend Ranch State Park trip

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
texas pinzgauer

Big Bend National Park & Big Bend Ranch State Park trip

Post by texas pinzgauer »

No dates have been agreed upon but Adam Blank and I are working to schedule a trip to the Big Bend region of west Texas for sometime this summer. Yeah, it's going to be hot but it's a dry heat! :wink: We did this several summers ago and had a great time so, with a new beefier tow vehicle available for our use now, another trip to this region is now in the planning stage.

This is a fairly remote setting which is to say, it's not easy to get to except for Andy Funk in Comstock, Texas. Relatively speaking, it's just down the road for him. Stay tuned as we figure out potential dates and offer them to see who else can join us.

David
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Big Bend National Park & Big Bend Ranch State Park trip

Post by 4x4Pinz »

we really enjoyed our time there a few years ago. I can still remember their claim to fame "the least visited park in the national park system"
andy

Post by andy »

4x4Pinz wrote:we really enjoyed our time there a few years ago. I can still remember their claim to fame "the least visited park in the national park system"

If there is any way possible, it would be great if you could make this jaunt too. I'm just waiting for a date to be set in stone and to see how much fuel will cost. I'd still like to hit a RMP treffen too, but that's getting further and further away as gas prices go up.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
www.deerleaseservices.com
LibTimothy
United States of America

Post by LibTimothy »

I just got home from a car trip to Big Bend National Park. I would love to do a Pinz trip there. It is already HOT there. Is there a date on the table yet? My dance card is filling up at work.

Timothy
When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.
texas pinzgauer

I'll email you offline to hear about your trip Timothy. Pretty tough going out there this time of year even with A/C!
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

andy

Post by andy »

Strange how we too adapt to our environment. It's not all that bad out here yet. We took a run from Comstock to Rocksprings and then down to Uvalde and back home last weekend in the 712. Probably about 250 miles or so all totaled and it wasn't bad.

I can no longer stand high humidity. High 90's low 100's, with a breeze and low humidity is doable. 90's, high humidity (over 40-45%) and no breeze kills me these days.

So we goin' or not?

Cheers.
A bar F
The buck STARTS here
texas pinzgauer

As soon as Adam Blank figures out his tow rig and trailer set up (for both of our trucks) we'll set somethng up and give you and everyone else a heads up.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

andy

Post by andy »

This is a good site to keep an eye on for temps and road conditions. Once you get there click on the link to the "Daily Report." http://www.nps.gov/bibe/daily_report.htm

Since the trip I took last week I've toyed with the idea of driving the 712 to the National Park. Roughly the same mileage as last week and I can top off in Sanderson and again in Marathon before I drop south to the Park. I may chicken out, because I'd have to wait for my wife or daughter to drive my truck and trailer down to rescue me if it cratered down there or catch a ride home with ya'll. Towing charges probably suck big time for someone to pull you out of the park.

Just give as much of a lead time, for a head's up, as possible, if the trip is going to be on. Later in the year might be better for me as that will allow my wife to take some time off to go along.

Cheers,

Andy
A bar F
The buck STARTS here