Volvo visit with a detour.

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Volvo visit with a detour.

Post by geckoadventure »

ok so got a email from a kiwi wants to have a trip while he is here from a NZ forum "Anthony" is his real name.

Worked out to pick him up saturday late morning and take him to a 4x4 shop for lunch after getting the red monster dyno tested.

Well late friday nite (9pm+) all plans went west when I got a call come visit the Volvo we need to talk. I asked Anthony if he wanted to tag along and sent him the link to see what it was - he was in.

Picked him up early after sleeping in :( . Off to Simpang Pulai 190k away in the best handbag 4x4 I have.

CCR fills the car from the stereo speakers.

Soon we arrive in the workshop after a trip to Gopeng to the resort to collect the camera.

The stifling heat from the workshop is forgotten as we spend 2 hours going over the roll cage and other design issues and then I order a chainsaw box to store the chainsaws sick of oil all over the 4x4.

We wheel around 2 weeks I have to come back collect the chainsaw box and its lunchtime its 2pm.

Ring the mechanic via Yoke (cantonese to cantonese is easier than english/bahasa/cantonese in the one sentence) 4.30pm it will be ready.

We head straight back 4.38pm we arrive workshop poor Anthony he just laughs when he sees the state of the monster its had more bar fights than mike tyson. Back home swap the kit and load up the rest of the stuff - off to the shop for the food and beeer. Then its on the road by this time its almost dark.

Then Anthony realises the monster has some grunt passing anything is effortless the 13B-T just howls on SImex tires filling the cabin drowing the stereo.

We stop just past Bentong 70k out of town just past 8.30pm and time for an intro to ICED MILO with condensed milk in it in the darkness.

Then its the turnoff and the gravel starts time for a little demo on 13B-T power as the monster tears (any illusions Anthony had of me being a quiet driver tossed out the window as RED howls and slides up hills down and around corners) up the track in 2WD high a little detour and back on track as we climb the turbo howling in the still night air. The 10" LED lighting up the way. Finally I have to slow and put the monster in 4WD and LO so we can crawl up the harder parts of the track.

The compressor plays up and will not get past 25 PSI we manage to get the air to push in 4x4 just once.

Cross the little stream and wheelspin out over the big rocks.

Then its the harder bit 200 meters of narrow rutted climb, boulders and banks a few more dents of character added to the Monster.

Finally at the camp site and its empty - almost. we cross the river again and weave up and over the rocks to camp in a tiny pergola. Dinner at 11.00pm washed down by a few coldies. WHat nice night drive welcome to Malaysia Anthony.

Nite air is filled with the sounds of every insect in the world and rushing water trying to drown out the sounds of U2.

Sunday

Breakfast is huge and then its time to pack up after a visit to the waterfall.

On the way down we have to wait for the local jungle taxi's carrying walk on cargo to the waterfal.

A cold drink in Karak 30k aaway and its time for the jungle again - i knew telemong track was bad how bad I was shocked hard core camp spots gone destroyed by a bulldozer

Then we walked to the every violent looking Lata Semingyang

and then cruised up in the dust to horseshoe camp - gone destroyed by a flood and the loggers. The old road to camp 2 was bulldozed so up we went until we blasted through a bamboo grove and later realised the shovel had been ripped of the bonnet then we reached the busted bridge and it was time for lunch. Pasta and suasages in the jungle and yup CCR "run through the jungle again".

4pm Wheel around for home will have you back by 7pm a fast drive downhill and back into KL. Yes I did leave a black trail in the hotel just for fun.

Somehow I think he will come out again.