1st trip to Moab -UPDATE- in the Haflinger

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
westernair
United States of America

1st trip to Moab -UPDATE- in the Haflinger

Post by westernair »

Well I just got word back from a friend of mine about a trip to do the white rim and elephant canyon trail the first week of October. Apparently he has already got the permit so we are good to go. He is actually going to pay to ship my truck out so we can fly in instead of driving out from Tacoma. For the return trip, I am going to cheap out and just drive it home.
So what I am asking the group is who here has spent time doing these trails and does anyone have any advice for us? I have never been to Moab and have only seen videos. Are there things I should know beforehand?
My 712m has a front mounted winch but not a hi-lift jack. Should I consider purchasing one of these before the trip? Also while I have a Hummer air compressor, would it be prudent to pick up a CO2 tank?
I have my spare parts box and normal set of tools I take on all my wheeling trips, but wonder if there are specific desert items I should have on hand.
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by westernair on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
westernair
United States of America

Re: 1st trip to Moab

Post by westernair »

For refrance, I have never done more then an overnighter when doing a dedicated off roading vacation. Though I do regular multi day backpacking and camping trips.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Water and extra gas, good map of the area, and a sense of humor. Not too hot in Oct, but stop in with the ranger and ask some questions about trails.
There are books on the trails and there is a 4x group in Utah that might have suggestions for you. Try not to exceed your limits. Have fun. There might not
be anything to winch from in some places.

http://www.expeditionutah.com/forum/for ... y.php?f=77
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Very cool! Definitely on my bucket list.

You guys need a permit???

Sent from my iPhone
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

berger wrote:Very cool! Definitely on my bucket list.

You guys need a permit???

Sent from my iPhone
Not really sure if the permit is to do the trails or is just a back country camping permit. Anyway apparently the white rim is the hard one as it has become very popular.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Certain protected areas in that region need the permit for camping but not generally. No trail needs a permit. Camping in the Moab town area where the "sport trails" are has a small fee attached to it.

Buy one of the great 4x4 trail books dedicated to the area. They are worth their weight in gold. And for trail advice, the most critical thing to do first is lower that tire pressure. Try around 17psi.

The best time you can have in a 4x4 is here; it's almost reason enough to buy a truck by itself. However long you plan to stay, you should try to double it! You can spend a month out there and not get bored. I hope to go again within the year.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I've never driven all of it, but a buddy mtn biked it with his family last year. They used a Toyota pickup for support and don't think the road was anything really challenging. He mentioned that he had to have a permit for it and for a while they required a day use permit, but it seems that was while the road was being rebuilt. Here's a good link-
http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm
and a map
http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/u ... ripmap.pdf

totally jealous!
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Just to add to what i said above- I was referring the region overall and not the White rim trail specifically. That trail is worth the trip for sure, but much of the "4x4" fun is had in other places which are usually more challenging. This book will guide you to the best spots, and one I have used a bunch. http://www.4x4books.com/mub.htm
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

thanks vince for the tip on the book. I have a b-day next month and just droped the hint to the wife
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I just ran across this on expeditionportal.com and thought of you. I must admit that I haven't read it all the way though, but would pass it along.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... verlanding!
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

there are several pinzies in Utah that go to Moab fairly frequently. The RMP used to do an annual trip there focusing on the BFE area. Lots of books available for the area and a must have. Covered some of it in a Dodge Durango and a toyota landcruiser but have never had the desire to take the pinz there although it has been there. I did not stop to run any trails. I just motored on through on my way home.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Well we had a great time in the Moab area.

Since I sold my Pinz before this trip, I just towed my Haflinger down instead.

We did the white rim trail over a three day period, did, Fins and things, and Hells revenge in the Sand flats. Also we did Chicken Corners and Yahoo pass.

During one of the trips into town We saw this MAN. Look at the back of the truck to see where they have been. Oh how I wish I was able to do a 1/10 of what they have…

Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold