Nat Geo Driven to Extremes Malaysian Jungle shoot

Postings/pictures/video about off-road fun in Real 4x4's. (European-centric 4x4's)
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Nat Geo Driven to Extremes Malaysian Jungle shoot

Post by geckoadventure »

Now that its been on TV I can tell the story and post pictures.

Got a call mate 6 trucks needed for a video shoot (17-20 December) big stars cannot tell you their names rate is BAD but it will be fun. The TV program is for Nat Geo Shell Helix Driven to extremes.

Ok I’m in I give you BLUE to Drive I take Yellow and we got Kantha (KK) to drive RED. Then it dawns on me damn I have another event also the weekend before.

15-16 December Had a 34 PAX Corporate team building trip camping and rafting to do with all 3 of my trucks plus friends. Blue had a brand new HEAD installed. YELLOW was a last minute finish to fit the REAR seat and rip out the CARGO barrier. RED as usual had nothing wrong with it. For the record YELLOW stacked 34 camp Beds, Cooler and TARPS and 5 passengers into it easily and never once protested.

We Finished the Corporate trip Sunday night 7.30pm arrived home unpacked and then went for dinner 9.30pm help arrives David and then KK turn up we turn 34 PAX bed kit into 3 of us plus spares makes 10 set of kitchen kit , beds etc

By 12.00am we are ready packed and everything done. Arise 3.30am to wait for them to turn up.

Driven to Extremes, they drove to the coldest inhabited place on EARTH. Then through the GOBI desert in China and then to Malaysia to the easy trail of ULU Sidili. This whole thing is sponsored by SHELL HELIX oil the budget is huge.

Day 1:

Convoy order

Yellow

Blue

Red

The long drive to Johor 4.0 hours away to a village called KAHANG which is the primary entrance to ENDAU-ROMPIN national park.

We arrive 8.30am after a not so incident free drive accidents and then we WAIT and wait. We have breakfast and find a long road and redo all the winch cables and then wait and wait and eat and wait again.

Finally 12.45PM they show up damn we coulda slept in at home till 6am.

The stars wagon - a 4.2 NISSAN NA Diesel running 32" Simex XT's - this car is going to have fun

The old support vehicle from the first two days easy track is dispatched and the kit loaded into YELLOW 12 BEDS and emergency kit. Blue gets the life resuscitation kit and all the executive kit. WE are assigned CONVOY number I get 8 RED 4 and BLUE 10 (Last). I get assigned Jono from Singapore as my winch wench. David in RED gets Johnny and KK is luck he gets the 3 Shell Extreme executives. We also get a SHELL driven to extreme hat to wear.

We rollout way past ENDAU-ROMPIN National Park 45k away and the rough dirt road beckons after a serious briefing. The guy in charge is a serious ex military guy as are a couple of others.

The stars truck is completely GOPRO'd out inside outside amazing setup and I never took a pic of it.

The briefing (using 2009 RFC track)

We get to the Sungai (River) Sidili turnoff and as the thunderstorm rolls closer we end up driving in a 5k loop - oops. Then the right track camp is no idea how far away small obstacles about on the slightly we track and the never ending Johor FERNS.

Then there is spot of bother in the looming darkness and the inexperienced stars almost drive off a slippery log bridge - JIMMY in the Mahindra does the rear slide off as the fronts hit terra firma and it rears up in the air as the lockers pull it out before the SHELL executives could raise a scream.

The vehicles on this trip we should now describe:

SHELL trucks 2 NA 4.2 straight 6 NISSAN Patrols 32" Simex XTs one is driven by the STARS MIKA SALO (Yes ex F21 Ferrari driver and Adrien Brodie (Predator and Pianist)) and the other by Paul Marsh a vehicle setup expert.
Jimmy in the MAHENDRA with 35" XT's
Scorpion Lee in the Toyota BJ74 with 15B-T, Volvo axles and 35" XT's same config as RED engine
Wong in the Toyota BJ74 with SUPRA 2JZ and 35" XT's Chipped and few other goodies
Chuck wagon Range Rover with 35" XT's
Me in Yellow 13B-T powered Toyota BJ75 with 35" XT's on their last trip
David in BLUE with 35" MAXXIS BIGHORNS Toyota 1KZ Auto Landcruiser II
KK in RED with 35" MAXXIS XTs Toyota 13B-T Landcruiser II modified to hell
Pajero with 35" XT's barely can move stock engine

A sudden unseen log bridge which is collapsing in the darkness also causes chaos and is a gentle reminder of experience counts here.

Finally a long downhill with a tricky crossover and 50 meters further on we are at camp. Oh MAN the heavens open and we are getting wet. The tarps are finally erected and I offer the stars a chair a COLD beer and then a Hot Milo all are gratefully accepted and instructions are then done.

Camp is on a slope not flat and the river 30 meters below camp. The COOKs in undies now commence to cook dinner standing in the stream bed with 2 cookers. This sets the trend for the rest of the trip the cooks in undies serving up Chinese meals shrimp, fish etc.

Day 2: Tuesday

Mika Salo having a Mango

Breakfast

Parade time

Arise and shine military timing and a parade yes the producer gets 20 pushups and then the boss macca for a uniform violation 20 pushups also. Then the morning briefing the convoy changes Scorpion Lee and Wong and the chuck wagon head off early to get lunch ready. I am in convoy 2 at the front spotting for filming spots with the other vehicles way behind doing the filming. We know it’s going to be a bad day the first mud hole 20 meters past the stream we all ace it with lockers in and the stars truck is hopelessly stuck they take over 30 minutes to extract it and then the spare vehicle also gets stuck.

We continue on and a small slope causes’ fun take it wrong and the rear of the truck slides into a TREE.

Following scorpion lee

200 meters later it’s all over Wong is sitting with his feet up in a chair. The river he says - I say where’s my lunch. I ask how deep 5feet minimum too dangerous. The river is a WINCH down 45deg and then one car length across and up a 45 deg bank. Too swift one mistake and the vehicle is over. We elect to turn around and go to the other end of the track and come in. We could cross this river but if it rains there is another and if it rains no one is going home for days.

We turn around shoot a chainsaw scene and then it’s the mud hole before the stream Yellow turns the corner and drops in and STOPS DEAD - it now fits the mud hole perfectly out with the winch and slowly extract myself.

Finally Yellow is out and its BLUE's turn It does the same cannot move. We wind the winch cable out and BANG a flash lights up the jungle then the winch is DEAD - DAMN overrun has shorted the winch out. I race up get YELLOW and drive into the mud to extract BLUE. Rescue over and reverse across the mud hole and the stream. Eventually the whole convoy makes it across. And then it’s the tricky cross gully from last night. Yellow makes it as does BLUE then RED gets stuck wheels spinning locker useless. It winches BLUE backwards. Only one solution YELLOW I reverse back down the hill hook up a 20 meter winch extension to BLUE and PULL we slip and slide then traction and both vehicles are pulled up the hill to safety.

No more incidents the log bridges are easily passed. Out and down to the other end of ULU Sidili track. Wow devastation the last 5k of the jungle flattened to become oil palm right up to the PARK border so much for a difficult drive.

We elect to camp at the park exit on the safe side of the river.

Yellow is setup as the CAMP anchor the stars get the riverside camp.

A visit from a friendly scorpion excites the tourists

Day 3

Rise and shine today we venture back into the ULU Sidili trail to finish shooting

YELLOW stays behind only BLUE, RED, Scorpian Lee and Jimmy are going in along with the two SHELL NISSANs

Trip is easy until the NISSANS make a beginners mistake they stray a little of the track straight into softer mud and they kept driving slowly into what we knew was trouble

Simple attached REDs GOD winch to it and winch it out nah it stays put eventually we let them self rescue.

Then the mother obstacle 30-50 meters of ruts and mud the right track is out will take them all day took me 30 seconds to descend this in 2009 not now left track is easier

One hour of winching and hard work sees them travel 30 metres as the NISSAN drags itself belly down wheels up the slope.

Then it’s all over and the come back down. This time they get into a mess they make a risky manoeuvre to prevent a rollover.

Then it’s back to camp filming over and ULU Sidili remains unconquered by these guys. But they are happy they are exhausted and realise how difficult the jungle can be to get through.

Me, David Lee and KK in front of the Extreme Nissans

All that remains now is the final night party ad we get to sample British military rations mmmmmmmmmm nice.

s

The Camp pole I made to hold the other end of the tarp up anchored to the remains of the bridge.

This was all jungle 3 years ago and up to a month before the trip - sigh now its OIL palm plantation.

The Driven to extremes Crew and stars.

Now to get these guys back to the HOTEL and the planes so they can be home for XMAS.

Convoy out

Our trucks free of KIT

The crew

Me, David Lee and KK with Mika Salo

Me, David Lee and KK with Paul March the builder of the NISSANs

Then it was back to Kuala Lumpur but on the way back we drop into the AMADA service centre and get REDs rear shocks rebuilt.

Home 10pm after a wonderful 4 day trip. Blue is parked in the drive and left its overheating I started it in February 2 cracked pistons sigh and a new engine installed in April.

I gotta get the Volvo finished it would have aced the whole trip and all the gear not in 3 trucks but just in the Volvo.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Nat Geo Driven to Extremes Malaysian Jungle shoot

Post by TechMOGogy »

Nice post!
Great play x play and photos!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Great post and thanks for putting it here. I was thinking the same thing you said in that last statement the whole time I was reading it. A 304 or 712 would be the ideal support truck for that kind of trip.

So what was with the 32" tires on the Nissans?

I love those Simex's... wish we could get easier them in the US. Were those really 35's? (or 34's?)
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:Great post and thanks for putting it here. I was thinking the same thing you said in that last statement the whole time I was reading it. A 304 or 712 would be the ideal support truck for that kind of trip.

So what was with the 32" tires on the Nissans?

I love those Simex's... wish we could get easier them in the US. Were those really 35's? (or 34's?)
Yes they really are 35"s

We still needed the spare seats in case one of the support trucks broke down so BLUE was the spare transport buss. The Volvo gets closer each week now to being finished.

32" on the nissans I have no idea when they saw the jungle they realised they needed 35"s caused chaos but made great TV having 32"s. Nissans also had no POWER they needed a turbo badly alas they were sitting in the workshop in johor not installed.

WHen the TV guys started asking questions like why don't you get stuck and why you pull away from us so fast and then looking under our bonnets and saw the god winches did they get a SHOCK

2JZ underneath 500+HP
13B-T 500+Nm of torque and god winch fully loaded and 4 adults did matter it pushed them back in their seats.
15B-T 500+Nm of torque and god winch

They took pics of everything especially the god winches.

Im trying to get more pics from Johnny as he took heaps there is pics of YELLOW etc stuck inn the mudhole and the camp site shots are pretty good.

The ULU Sidili camp shot YELLOW holdling up the TARP

The drivers of RED,YELLOW and BLUE

More pics and video coming.
Last edited by geckoadventure on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

glad to hear the Volvo is creeping up on completion.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I must have missed what "god winch" means. Are you talking about 8274's?

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:I must have missed what "god winch" means. Are you talking about 8274's?

God winch - PTO off the transfer case and then the normal PTO part changed to a PRADO front differenttial grafted onto a custom made DRUM (mine 12"*12") and shaft running 11mm wire - mine has 60 (180feet) meters of wire in it with room for 30-40feet more. If using plasma rope must be 16mm else it will break.

PUlls only in HIGH Range and at a ratio of 4.5:1 pulls 9 times faster than a PTO. Diesels pull much nicer than petrol engines and bigger the diesel the easier the pull.

Immensly powerfull capable of pulling front wheels of a vehicle and bending everything underneath

Makes a modified 8274 at 150-200feet a minute look SLOW. MIne has pulled two vehicles upa 30+deg slope.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I personally can't imagine wanting anything faster than an 8274, in fact that is way too fast most of the time for a lot of situations. I know that long muddy tracks that you see over there are something I don't encounter so preference has to do with where you go. The control and safety you get from an electric is hard to beat too, but yeah, they will overheat on that kind of terrain eventually.

I have to ask though, do you like using a winch that can quickly destroy your front end?

And, have you ever been stuck in deep enough water where you can't or shouldn't have your engine running? Then what? ;)

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:I personally can't imagine wanting anything faster than an 8274, in fact that is way too fast most of the time for a lot of situations. I know that long muddy tracks that you see over there are something I don't encounter so preference has to do with where you go. The control and safety you get from an electric is hard to beat too, but yeah, they will overheat on that kind of terrain eventually.

I have to ask though, do you like using a winch that can quickly destroy your front end?

And, have you ever been stuck in deep enough water where you can't or shouldn't have your engine running? Then what? ;)
Interesting questions.
1. Electric winches die here (I busted motor in one in the weekend winching another vehcile with a busted front hub out of soft sand) and quickly the heat the long mud holes all add up - recently I winched for 600 meters continuous uphill took me 4 hours to drive 10k solo and almost 3 hours to do the 600 meters. An electric winch would have died after possibly the first 100 meters or the batteries over heated. The GOD winch just pulled 50-60 meters at a time (12 times) barely above 1200rpm . In all honesty I got sick of putting new batteries and motors and melting winch cables (300-600amp) into vehicles due to electric winches pulling them apart.

2. Many people buy Electric winches here and then over a period of time swap to PTO or finally a god winch.

3. I also have 2 vehicles with OLD 8274's running 6HP motors on them they pull like nothing else and are great for putting vehicles back on their sneakers after rollovers and for normal driving. In the think mud or tough pulls (3500kg up a 45deg slope) I know i have melted winch cables doing this. (or worse a comp truck up a vertical climb) then the god winch or PTO will win everytime especilly in a big engined diesel. A WARN 8274 will pull way above its weight and is generally regarded as the best electric winch here. Also a AISIN 24V 10,000lb electric winch is also AWESOME I had one before putting the GOD winch in the 24V/12V issues made me swap.

4. Recently a friend bust the REAR trailing arms off his truck winching it backwards with an electric winch recovering it he kept pulling with an electric winch I cannot immagine the damage a GOD winch would have done. I have busted the front leading arm and snapped a shock . There are now strict rules I follow when winching with a GO winch. Seeing comp trucks pull the front wheels of a truck is not uncommon her in comp using a god winch by being silly. It comes down to common 4x4 recovery sense with winching over obstacles especially trenchs.

5. I have not been in water that deep I avoid it being a whitewater rescue guide I tend to read water hazards better than most 4x4 drivers. In a vehicle lifted 6" having water up to you bonnet means it is very very deep anyway.

6. The god winch once used to it is EASY and so simple to use apart from the extreme weight of the 60+ meter 11mm cable to haul uphill even at idle it pulls faster than any electric winch. In a petril vehicle such as a Toyota 1JZ or 2JZ engine with 6000-8000rpm you can imagine how fast they are when they drop the clutch at 6000rpm to start winching you cannot outrun it.

Downhill view

300 meters to go halfway up.

WHen I get my RED truck back on the road I will do a Video of GOD and ELECtric winches side by side.

The RED Toyota 13B-T tore a piston in two after it siezed in the BLOCK - sigh
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Interesting how varied the needs can be. The kind of off-roading I get exposed to, those winches wouldn't work too well given the lack of fine control and always having to have the engine running. But if I ever get to come that way, I'll have to re-fit something else!

You can buy new syn. rope that won't melt like the old stuff did, and they come with additional (kevlar) drum protection. Look at the new Superline XD stuff from Master Pull. (from the US) I'm too poor for that stuff, but if you have the cash, it's the best rope on earth.

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:Interesting how varied the needs can be. The kind of off-roading I get exposed to, those winches wouldn't work too well given the lack of fine control and always having to have the engine running. But if I ever get to come that way, I'll have to re-fit something else!

You can buy new syn. rope that won't melt like the old stuff did, and they come with additional (kevlar) drum protection. Look at the new Superline XD stuff from Master Pull. (from the US) I'm too poor for that stuff, but if you have the cash, it's the best rope on earth.
I cannot afford it either at 30 meters for 1500rm of almost $450usd . I get 180feet plus of steel wire for $2rm a foot. Basically I can get 7 steel wire ropes for the price of 1 plasma rope

GOD winches generally do not have brake either couple of guys have fitted them in NZ to allow COMP usage over there.

God winch drum does not overheat unlike an electric winch. However the cable will PINCH badly needing a pinch bar or to as part of your tool kit.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

:oops: OK I'll bite, what's a pinch bar.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

edzz wrote::oops: OK I'll bite, what's a pinch bar.
Pinch bar is another name for a small pry bar. It's an old rigger's term.